• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter dg gone wrong

Ajo1125

Bogey Member
Anyone have any tips how to find lost discs in the snow.
(I put ribbons on most my discs but a couple still got away)

I live in Minnesota and live near a course that doesn't get much play in the winter. I was playing a little too close to dark and no surprise I lost a few under the snow and couldn't find them. It snowed that night and now they're hiding.

Ummm... Throw tomahawks so the disc lands on the face and slides on top of the snow?

I like the move south solution... How deep was the snow?

Anyone have any tips how to find lost discs in the snow.
(I put ribbons on most my discs but a couple still got away)

I live in Minnesota and live near a course that doesn't get much play in the winter. I was playing a little too close to dark and no surprise I lost a few under the snow and couldn't find them. It snowed that night and now they're hiding.

Fellow MN resident here. When they dive under the snow, the only thing you can do is look for the mark in the snow where the disc went under. Playing in powder is tough, you'll get used to it though.

Once the snow has a little time to stiffen up you'll experience more skips and it won't be as hard to find your plastic. Try a course with a little more winter traffic, it helps not only with finding your drives but a lot of places have their pads shoveled pretty routinely in the winter.

I think the only real suggestions from my experience are to learn to discipline yourself that when the light is waning to overcome the desire to keep playing by remembering the frustration of looking for discs in the dark and possibility of losing discs. When you throw a disc stay focused visually on exactly where is vanished into the snow and immediately walk toward it without looking away from that exact spot and dig. I have a tendency to think "ill remember where that disc went out of sight" then throw another and then not remember exactly where it vanished from sight =) Good Luck! (Also darker discs might work better in the snow)

Ive played many rounds in the snow and much deeper than 6-10". Long ribbons 3' min. Taped to bottom of disc. I havent lost one yet.

When it snows, I play with just putters and lids. I suppose a zone or a harp might have sharp enough bevel to dig, but not most.

Even with putters, throw shots that land flat. This will give the disc more surface area to limit the penetration.

Nobody playing with ya? Ask another solo to tag along?

Playing winter DG in Finland, me and my friend have adopted a spotter role. Whoever throws first, the other goes to spot, then reverse roles (even on short par-3s where you might think you're just gonna park it). Has not only resulted in zero lost discs over the couple winters of doing this, plus has cut down on the time spent looking for discs. Some awkward tree kicks can still throw a curveball, but so far so good.