• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter golf......suggestions??

I play all the time in the winter and we do winter league every Saturday up here in Rochester , New York. I have those pouches that football players use that go around your waist. and you put your hands in it and on the back of it is a zipper and you put hand warmers in it so the whole pouch stay's warm and you just put your throwing hand in it from hole to hole or shot to shot and you will be all set.

^^^This......sounds the most logical to me!! Someday, it will happen, just not today. Today, I play my first round in the snow. 4-5" over the weekend and a high of 16 today. Thanks for the tips, will be using several as I venture out for a quick 18........

Sooooo, winter golf is interesting! Didn't lose any discs, although I tried...LOL. Shot +4 on a course I normally shoot around Even. Everything was understable and didn't have much distance, but it was fun. About 20 degrees and snow flurries with light wind. Thanks for all that posted, am looking forward to the winter season now!!

Some things that work for me...

White discs are cool as long as you watch for where they land (no joke, I seriously threw mostly white two straight winters without losing one). By far the worst colors (for me at least) are blue and as the sun is setting/rising, red/orange. Blue just looks like sticks or shadows, and red/orange can be deceptively difficult to find when you're getting glare from the sun as it rises or sets.

I don't bother with ribbons or chalk on my discs, I just follow the flight closely, look for the slit in the snow where it entered, and then adjust for how the disc flies. Rarely is the disc directly under the slit, it's usually a few feet away, so keep that in mind.

Hand-warmers for your throwing hand, glove for the off hand. Waterproof shoes/boots. Sealskinz socks or something comparable (nothing will end a round of snow discin' like wet, cold feet). A thermos full of soup instead of or along with your water bottle will also help extend the time you can stay out there. Underarmor type thermal wear is essential for good movement and staying warm.

Have fun!!! :)

Sooooo, winter golf is interesting! Didn't lose any discs, although I tried...LOL. Shot +4 on a course I normally shoot around Even. Everything was understable and didn't have much distance, but it was fun. About 20 degrees and snow flurries with light wind. Thanks for all that posted, am looking forward to the winter season now!!

Awesome, keep at it!!! :hfive:

Snow golf is some of the most fun rounds I've played!!! :)

If you've lost a disc, don't make tracks all over the d@mn place. Look for the slit in the snow, walk back over your original footprints if you must. Making more tracks and moving more snow makes it nearly impossible to find a lost disc.

I play some winter Disc Golf but its not nearly as fun to me. Once the snow begins I switch to Racquetball

People always tell you you should man up and deal with it. They say your scared, they say your soft. But I think this is trash. In my experience there is a lot more to it than just being able to tolerate the cold, I'm not a huge fan. Here's a few reasons why

1. Lack of daylight: Most of us work and I'm no exception, by the time I get off work it's dark. I love playing at night but I don't love trying to located a disc in a snow drift in the dark

2: Physically: Not only do you have to layer up with your clothing your muscles also tighten up in the cold. This really affects your throwing

3: Ribbons don't work: I know a lot of people swear by this and I'll admit I haven't done it much but when I have I noticed it doesn't work most of the time. It feels like I spend 90 minutes playing Disc Golf and 2 hours digging through snow looking for Discs

4: Renews the love: Being forced to spend 2-3 months without Disc Golf in an odd way is kind of a good thing. When spring rolls around I am chopping at the bit to get back out there. Nothing beats those sunny days in spring when you move the clock forward. I know it sounds cheesey but it's my favorite time of the year.

I know a lot of you are already getting your fingers ready for a response. I'm totally prepared to read about how weak I am. Bring it on, I can take it

I play some winter Disc Golf but its not nearly as fun to me. Once the snow begins I switch to Racquetball

People always tell you you should man up and deal with it. They say your scared, they say your soft. But I think this is trash. In my experience there is a lot more to it than just being able to tolerate the cold, I'm not a huge fan. Here's a few reasons why

1. Lack of daylight: Most of us work and I'm no exception, by the time I get off work it's dark. I love playing at night but I don't love trying to located a disc in a snow drift in the dark

2: Physically: Not only do you have to layer up with your clothing your muscles also tighten up in the cold. This really affects your throwing

3: Ribbons don't work: I know a lot of people swear by this and I'll admit I haven't done it much but when I have I noticed it doesn't work most of the time. It feels like I spend 90 minutes playing Disc Golf and 2 hours digging through snow looking for Discs

4: Renews the love: Being forced to spend 2-3 months without Disc Golf in an odd way is kind of a good thing. When spring rolls around I am chopping at the bit to get back out there. Nothing beats those sunny days in spring when you move the clock forward. I know it sounds cheesey but it's my favorite time of the year.

I know a lot of you are already getting your fingers ready for a response. I'm totally prepared to read about how weak I am. Bring it on, I can take it

Nah, man, to each their own. :thmbup:

I will definitely agree that ribbons don't work (or at least, don't work well enough to deal with the hassle of setting it all up). Also, don't try and disc in winter except for full daylight otherwise you'll end up losing all your discs.

ejv said:
If you've lost a disc, don't make tracks all over the d@mn place. Look for the slit in the snow, walk back over your original footprints if you must. Making more tracks and moving more snow makes it nearly impossible to find a lost disc.

^this x10.

Also, playing on a course that has heavy traffic can almost be a non-starter. I prefer to play immediately following a snowstorm, so the snow is fresh and you're not throwing into other people's footprints from earlier rounds. It also helps, if you play in a group, to try and keep single file as much as possible.

I used to love to play ball golf. And living in the great white north it was only a 3 season sport. One of the many things I love about this sport is its a year round thing.

There's tons of great advice from clothing, to technique, to equipment, so I'll simply say one thing. Just go out and play. As it says on the Ice Bowl discs, "No Whimps, No Whiners!"

The thing I've been noticing is the drop in power i get with my drives. Holes I use to be able to park consistantly are going into the trees short 20-30 feet. It's embarrasing playing with the bigger arms in winter leagues. I've powered down to fairway drivers for now. Any advice on my problem?

It's not you, it's the colder air. Step up to your next disc distance wise and adjust accordingly.

Also...I will add to this and say to do your best to stay warm and loose. If you're "tight/stiff" because of the cold you're gonna lose distance as well.

The thicker air increases drag on the disc which is probably the largest contributor to the loss of distance.

Make your way up to Waco, the bEast will be back later this month."Supposedly" Should be open by January either way it goes.

As for cold weather play. I swear by the cold weather underarmor gear, or the walmart, kmart, target version. I prefer the cheaper shiat. Windpants tend to do the best rather than jeans or thicker pants as long as you have the thermal layer under them. Lose your poor attempt at a run up if there is snow on the ground, its not helping anything. Drop the weight a 6-10g and you might be a little closer to your usual flights. I also use one of the thin stretchy cotton gloves under a mitten for the off hand. Glove plus pocket for the throwing hand.