• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Playing Improvement

swingman8

I don't know if anyone else has had this happen to them, but this last 6 moths has really changed my game. I am a new DG'r but I am passionate about it and have been trying to play as much as possible. This winter has been really tough because we have had a bad weather for the last 5 months, contantly raining and snowing and causing problems. I only get to play on Sundays do to my work, and for some reason the snow and rain really love to fall on weekends.
But even though it has been tough, I have been playing in a local winter tournament every couple of weeks all the way through this ordeal, and it has really paid off in every part of my game.
This last weekend we had a crazy warm snap and my friend and I went out to course to take advantage of it. It was 60 degrees and beautiful. The course we played is the most difficult one in the area and the best score I had ever gotten on it was a +9 (remember I am a newb) on the 21 hole course. But this weekend, something was very different. I ended up scoring a -2 for the round and had missed a few more easy putts that would have improved my score even more.
I was amazed at the difference in my game and can only attribute it to the fact that during my winter playing I had to significantly minimize my movements and really make the best of adverse situations. I would encourage anyone who wants to really improve their game to make sure they play in the winter as it could make all the difference in the world.
Let me know if you have seen this in your own playing.

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of improvement after playing winter golf these past months. Mostly because I've gone through and found what discs I like, then I focused a lot on my midrange and short range accuracy. I have learned a lot about reading the wind which has cut quite a few strokes off. I also found the putter that I like, so I'm able to par almost every hole.

Winter golf didn't help my distance driving though, mainly due to me trying to muscle the disc. However, this week I have changed my form and I hit a couple 400' drives which make me feel better. I've learned that proper technique is much more important than having the latest greatest disc. The articles on here have made a drastic improvement for me, especially tryin to get max distance and stay accurate.

congrats man, that's a great improvement. One thing to think about though, if this is a wooded course, when the leaves come back it might change some lines and make it a little tougher.

I also brought my scoring down this winter after working on my approach game and playing the wind. strokes normally come in chunks and then you'll plateau-- keep at it.

I think that winter time play improves my game because of all the time I spend reading stuff on these forums and the DGR articles. After I read that thread about how distance is linked to transfering energy to the disc rather than acceleration, My standing throw improved tremendously.

before winter I was maxing out at about 280'. when it got cold distance went down. after playing a minimum of 4 rounds a week all winter Im maxing about 300'. so if the distance relation to cold is true maybe I will finally be breaking 300' soon. I just cant wait to play without 3+ layers of cloths on and numb fingers. it would be nice if the ground would dry out again too.

Winter slows you down.Moe time to think.I know it did for me. I shave 5 strokes during the Winter.

Kinda off topic, but I went out in the yard to practice putting today, and my putters felt so soft! Of course it was 75* out...the last time I putted, last weekend, it was 45* out.....but the plastic felt so much more pliable. I think I had gotten used to cold stiff plastic.

I am aware that what is considered cold weather is dependant on where you live, but I drooled a little at the thought of it being 45 degrees. The highest temperature I've seen was 36. That was GREAT disc golfing when compared to the below zero and windy disc golf of a few weeks ago. Oh well, at least it doesn't ever get that hot in the summer here.

Latest posts