• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Weather Disc Golf

sqorbit

I've only been playing for about a year. I mostly play in my local area (PA, South NJ). I didn't play last winter when it was colder. The weather has been cold, wet with some snow lately but I'm hoping to sneak out for a few rounds before the holidays.

Is there anything I should prepare for besides staying warm and dry? Do those of you that play in snow or cold weather use certain discs? Any technique changes for colder weather?

With limited run-up, and more restrictive clothing, you won't throw as hard. Discs that you expect to flip in the summer may hold more of a hyzer line in the winter. So tend more towards more understable discs.

Cold discs are much better in the snow than warm ones. If you leave your bag outside to freeze, snow won't melt when you land in it. Dry snow is much easier to get off a disc than wet snow.

I've only been playing for about a year. I mostly play in my local area (PA, South NJ). I didn't play last winter when it was colder. The weather has been cold, wet with some snow lately but I'm hoping to sneak out for a few rounds before the holidays.

Is there anything I should prepare for besides staying warm and dry? Do those of you that play in snow or cold weather use certain discs? Any technique changes for colder weather?

If there's snow on the ground, don't throw white discs.

Between the extra clothing and occasionally unreliable footing, expect your distance to be less in the cold, and adjust your score expectations and strategies accordingly.

Dress in layers that are relatively simple to remove and put back on. As you play, you'll get warm and you'll want to shed layers rather than roast and sweat in your heavy warm clothes. When you're done playing, you'll want to put the layers back on.

Winter Disc Golf Tips.

From your body to your bag to your boots – you can get out and play golf all year long. After playing through the winter, when the warm weather finally does come – your spring game will be in full swing rather than being crusty and ramping up. I was able to learn many secrets from the ancient sages playing the game year-round in Michigan, I share them here.

Body: Layers people. We should all know how to dress for winter weather. I start with a good techy material t-shirt that wicks moisture (one with a Comet logo preferably), add a long sleeve, and a fleece. Over that a shell that provides warmth and wind resistance. On the bottom half, long johns, fleece pants (if it's really cold), then shell/snow pants. The feet get warm socks, sometimes gore-tex socks (more on them in a bit). Key here is to stay warm and be nimble enough to get a good drive off. For headwear I am a huge fan of the Polar Fleece Neck Warmer I wear 2, one for my neck the other for my head. They can be easily adjusted so you can stay comfortable as you warm up or cool down. For the hands, I've found mittens are best. You're constantly taking them off to throw, mittens keep that simple. Also it's easy to chuck in a hand warmer into each one to give your fingers some toastyness in between shots.

Bag: When throwing discs in the snow, some people have a third sense to see the entry slice and find the discs. This, however, gets diminished when numerous people have played the hole destroying the pristine surface or, when the wind blows so hard it covered over the slice before we walked down the fairway. Ribbons are the tried and true answer here and Christmas ribbon is best. Raid your wife's, Mom's, girlfriend's or, if your so inclined to have one, your own Christmas wrapping stash – the best I've found is the kind that is about ¼" wide. I've also seen yarn used effectively. Head up to Home Depot and get some clear duck tape (it works much better than clear packing tape). It's pretty important, as with glow golf, the following be done when the discs are warm. Cut a 20-24" stretch of ribbon and tape it onto the bottom of your disc. I've found the best method is to fix it so 1" or so sticks out from one side of the tape while the other side emerges from the tape at the center of the disc. Fold over the 1" piece of ribbon and tape it down with a second piece of tape. While this adds a tail to your disc and it will impact the distance slightly – it works very effectively.

Boots: Footwear is always important in disc golf and this remains so for Winter golf. You can pull on Muck boots which is like throwing in, uh, Muck boots. They are warm and protective and some swear by them. Another option is donning gore-tex socks – they turn most any shoes into waterproof winter gear- and wear your regular golf shoes. I've gone through a lot of pairs and brands – they'll last 1 good disc golf season (winter spring summer fall) before they'll start leaking. Rocky's or Cabellas (made by Rocky) are the best I've found.

Getting traction in the winter is something to think about. I've seen solutions here range from screwing small screws (studs) into the bottom of boots to strapping on ice cleats (Yaktrax). Given all of the twisting when throwing, the latter has proven only marginally effective for me. There is one I have seen that does work well.... Korkers Extreme Ice Cleat, they run about $70.

^^^^
| | | |

Towels: Keep discs dry.

Gloves: Keep a glove on your non-primary hand. Handle discs with that gloved hand. Your thowing hand probally good in a pocket with a Hot Hand. (or maybe a mitten if really cold) Keep throwing hand dry!

Extra socks: Keep a dry pair in bag and your car. Change as needed and definately after round before drive home. (dry 'driving shoes' great too) Dry feet are golden. Seriously.. the ability to change socks after a soak or a sweat through saves the day in the cold.

...keep DRY

Last edited:

Latest posts