• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizard/magic gateway craze

When I got my hpp wizard I felt like harry potter grabbing his wand for the first time. Just felt right.

Ya I went there

The Wizard is so well liked because it's a slight improvement over what was the best putter out there (BB Aviar) before it came out and it comes in as good, if not better plastic.

Plus you can get it in about any choice of firmness/softness or flexibility if you try/look hard enough.

I throw only discraft i picked up a magic and a wizard and wasnt impressed. Then again who am I. Ive just been noticing threads of like LOAD and LOADs of them.

It's a conundrum for me too. I got one recently, and the plastic feels so much nicer than DX. Unfortunately I've gotten used to putters without beads (I like the standard Aviar P&A), so I'm not sure of them thus far despite the praise they receive here.

Putt with what works for you, it's mostly mental from up close anyway............

I've been putting with dx aviars since I started. I buy plastic online because there's no shop close to me. The aviar has worked fine for me and I figure if I stink at putting it's probably more me than the disc. I drive with a star bb aviar and that works fine for me also.

I will say that a guy on my card at leagues putts with them and I was checking out his wizards and the plastic feels awesome. If I wanted to switch and try another putter mold I'd have to give gateway a shot.

The only thing that concerns me about the wizards is this
Plus you can get it in about any choice of firmness/softness or flexibility if you try/look hard enough.
Without having a store nearby that sells them I don't know what my odds are like finding another one that felt the same as the other one I was checking out. Maybe one day I'll give them a go.

When I got my hpp wizard I felt like harry potter grabbing his wand for the first time. Just felt right.

Ya I went there

Sadly I kind of agree, except mine was an Eraser and and now an Ultra flexy RFF. I have tried every putter on the market, and the Wizard is just the best feeling disc I have ever held. Granted Gateway can be a little inconsistent as far as weight and flexibility, get a few different ones and find the one that feels right and hold on to it tight and use it over and over to break it in. Then you will have a putter for life!!!!

Nikon00002879.jpg

This was the reason i asked (sorry for the stolen pic el)

I am not really sure that my wizards are far superior to any other similar putter by any means but I really like that I can basically imagine up a feel/flexibility combo and be able to find one relatively easily... Sometimes my preferences change on how I like my discs to feel and it is nice to be able to pick out what I want without having to change molds. I really like my wizards a LOT and I have a LOT of them, but I honestly couldn't say that I would putt/drive/approach any worse with a BB Aviar, or a Challenger or Focus... or anything else relatively similar.
Gateway does make some plastic that feels absolutely amazing and is relatively durable for the price (Especailly on the lot deals that Gateway usually does).

if you call dave at gateway he will do a deal with you on discs tell him the type or send pics of it he will match things up. some are chalky,leather like, u can have same disc lets say ss wiz and have 3 dif grips. they last awhile break in well and some drive or putt better. the soft ones are rock hard and go where you put them

My SS Magic felt almost identical to my 10 year old aviar, but better!

Whoa, I thought I was nuts with 29 Gateway putters (and counting). Ironically I started with a Voodoo obsession just a year into playing, and it's just the feel of a SSS Voodoo that is perfect for my hand. I've since moved into an all out obsession with both Wizards and Magics that both feel great and have more to offer me, whether it's the Wizard's ability on windy days or the dead nuts straight flight of a Magic. From there, all Gateway putter dudes like myself eventually branch out and experiment with all the different flexes and runs, thereby spawning this very horde-like behavior.

The short answer? Because Wizards and Magics just plain kick a$$. :D

Never thought gateway was too special until I got ahold of their High Performance Polymer. First a Wizard, led to a Magic, and the only HPP mid that I've ever seen in the Element. Seems gateway has found its place, at least for a little while.

The wizards are a great driving putter and I would carry one if it was not for the Pure.
They come in a huge variety of textures and softnesses so there is one for everyone.

.....also the price is right.