• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Wizard or Judge?

The Judge feels like it is a lower profile disc, but side by side that are same height

Dynamic Discs Judge 176.0 21.2 2.0 1.5 18.9 1.1 7.1 58.25 4.20 12-58 12/07/12
Gateway Disc Wizard 174.3 21.0 2.1 1.8 19.0 1.0 8.6 59.25 10.43 02-01 01/09/02

:p

i think either of these discs would work just as well if you bought 5 of em and practiced a bit.

switching putters is scary though. i do bag a wizard for water shots, feels just like my ions.

Here you go...

Funny that the max weight for the Wiz is 174.3. Guess I need to tell the 179 Wizard I have to go on a diet!

ALOT of people play with illegal Gateway weighted putters. i think the Voodoo or Magic has the same max weight too.

The wizard flight plate is .3cm, the judge is .5cm, that's 167% thicker then the wiz! No wonder the wizard is the better putter! ;)

The wizard flight plate is .3cm, the judge is .5cm, that's 167% thicker then the wiz! No wonder the wizard is the better putter! ;)

hmmm, i wonder if more weight in the outer rim is good for putting or not.

I love doing this, comparing disc, but there is really no winner here. Just the best putter ever developed over a decade ago and derivatives of it. Ultimately its what you like best, even if you fail to realize the Wiz is the cats pajamas

This is an observation that could cascade in to a great discussion point around that fact that Gateway was doing Gyro technology long before MVP, but we can save that for another 'THIS one is better than THAT one' thread.

Oh and obligatory NO THE JUDGE IS THE BETTERER PUTTER!! :D

Please let this madness stop! The Judge is NOT a Wizard. Period. Apparently just because a disc is round and has a big bead, it's a Wizard. :rolleyes:

The Wizard is longer with a harder fade. MAYBE it's slightly more HSS, but they're both pretty much the same IMO. The Wizard has a slightly narrower bead than the Judge and definitely has a lower profile. The Wizard has a rounded nose compared to the bullet nose of the Judge. The Wizard has more glide than a Judge.

Post all the data from a flight chart you want. Those are interpretations of others same as ours. I threw wizards a good while before switching to the judge. I will disagree with any chart or opinion that says a wizard is longer or has more glide than a judge. Any plastic comparison. The best I will go is they are a push in both. :)

Judge vs Wizard

Driving: Wizard
Approach: Tie
Putting: Judge
Consistency: Judge
Variety: Wizard

The Judge is a meant to be more of a putter than an all purpose discs. The Wiz just ends up being best at driving and slightly less than the judge for putting. I think that it really comes down into the slight nuances that you want in the discs. You really could take the Challenger, Wizard, BB Aviars (KC, Yet, JK/X), Focus, Ion, Judge put them all side by side and see the similarities slight variances. Then pick your preference.

Personally I think the Judge has the absolute best putter plastic I have ever felt in my life. I wish the Ion had core plastic like it.

Wizard and Ion were fighting for my putter spot. I ended up switching to the Judge. I don't usually throw longer approach shots w/my putters, and in a strictly putting scenario, the Judge feelsl ike it drops faster than the Wizard or Ion for me. I like it's lower profile, but I do have to put a bit more on it to make the same putts. It drops sooner and when it drops it is a hard downward hyzer, really wanting to drop in the basket.

If for some reason I decide the Judge isn't where I want to be for a putter, I'll probably pickup some more Eraser Wizards to mate w/my current one. I do love the Neutron Ion for some approach shots tho. If I need an approach to stick a bit more than my X or Z Buzzz, the Ion is the one that does the trick generally

I have both. The Judge I have in both the classic soft and classic hard. The Wizard I have used RFF, SSS, SS, and S. I currently putt with SS and that probably will never change. To me the soft classic Judges are like RFF Wizards in feel.. and that's too soft for me. The classic hard Judges are too hard for me and the plastic isn't very durable IMO. I practice putted with the classic hard Judges and after only about 15 successful putts the plastic was already chipping away. Since you putted with KC Aviars I would strongly suggest the soft Wizards.. but if you find a couple Wizards you like, buy as many of that Wizard as you can. Gateway likes to switch up their disc making process every once in a while so that 1 Wizard you bought 3 months ago.. you might not be able to find another like it unless you send it to Gateway and ask if they have any more exactly like it in their stock room.

Latest posts