• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Working on some things, would love some help on a few aspects.

Hi. Here's where I'm currently at: https://youtu.be/9sB5RRTnF_M

This is some field work and re-adjusting my form after noticing some big problems, despite feeling more powerful and throwing further before this. I'm trying to adjust my cross-step to be smaller and force my feet to be a little more perpendicular to the target (rather than having my back foot face backwards away from target), while also keeping my eye on the target for longer.

Some obvious problems:
  • My reach-back is still low and it's really hard for me to fix this for some reason. Any suggestions?
  • My back foot is coming up pretty quickly most of the time. In this throw it's not as bad. I don't know if this is actually a problem, but when I see the pros their back foot seems to stay pretty close to the ground because they're more braced (?) and balanced I'm guessing.
  • My head is still kind of looking backwards during reach-back. I'm not sure if this is a big problem, maybe someone knowledgeable can help me out with that.

Things I'm working on in this vid:
  • Keeping my weight on my back leg for longer, and then shifting that weight to the front leg for the right timing and bracing. This is so hard to time with my arm!!
  • Keeping my cross-step more perpendicular and thus smaller (looks like I got this down).
  • Keeping my head toward the target for almost the whole throw, except during the reach-back.
  • Keeping my arm loose so as to not hurt my shoulder (that wasn't working so well during this field session and I could def feel it after an hour).

I would love some analysis and tips. How do I keep that arm loose while still timing it right? How do I better transfer my weight, whilst timing the pull-through correctly? Based on the video, what else can I improve on?

Thanks so much for your time :) Looking forward to your constructive criticism.

Last edited:
Similar issue...
Your pelvis is open or square, instead of closed so your legs are too pretzeled up in the way of each other, instead of gliding out of the way of each other. Note how Eagle has driven his hips further forward especially the left hip "from behind / hogan power move".

Hershyzer Drill - Pelvis closed, Eyes on target. Pretzel your torso, not your legs.

attachment.php

Door Frame should pull your torso further back as you drive the hips/CoG forward going into the plant.

You have a nice swing! I don't see what is problematic about the problems you mentioned. Low reachback is fine unless you're having trouble with your trajectory or angles. Back foot looks good in this one to me. I don't think keeping it close to the ground is really the goal. If - on the ones where it pops up more - that's at the expense of it moving targetward and towards your back ie right of target, then that usually means you're tipping onto your front side more than shifting laterally into it.

And your head looks fine to me, but if you want it to move less, you can try looking at the target until you start to reach back and see if you can feel like your chin only moves away from the target once it gets "pushed" by your throwing shoulder on the way back. Drew Gibson talks about this in the video with Brodie where he's tryna teach him how to throw far.

To me it looks like one thing that might be putting undo stress on your shoulder is that you are really deliberately poking the disc back on the reachback and I think that makes you yank on it a little bit to get it going targetward again. I would try to just leave the disc in space, do less with the arm on the reachback, just let your body move around the disc, and allow your left side to initiate the move that gets the levers working.

Things I'm working on in this vid:
  • Keeping my weight on my back leg for longer, and then shifting that weight to the front leg for the right timing and bracing. This is so hard to time with my arm!!
  • Keeping my arm loose so as to not hurt my shoulder (that wasn't working so well during this field session and I could def feel it after an hour).

I would love some analysis and tips. How do I keep that arm loose while still timing it right?
This is probably a bit related to what Cowabunga is saying above, but the fundamental issue here is that it looks like you're trying to actively pull with the arm from the peak of your reachback. Just allowing body rotation to bring the disc into the power pocket is a more simple concept and allows you to be more consistent with timing and angles, and it's also a faster motion than pulling across from reachback. It's also easier on your shoulder because the angle should be the same through the entire thing.

Your lower body looks pretty good from what I can see, though sw22's observation is accurate as always.

Thanks for this. I'm now wondering if while doing the "lunging forward" move to start the weight transfer, my disc should be sort of suspended in space?? This seems more-so what the pros are doing...

Latest posts