• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Working with the City for a New Course, Suggestions?

nexanimal

Bogey Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
My boyfriend and I have introduced the idea to the City of Long Beach to put a new disc golf course in one of the City's many large parks, to a warm reception.

It started when I sent an email to the City suggesting a new course, and to our surprise, one of the City's Recreation Supervisors asked to meet me and talk about the idea. We met him at the Eldorado Park course this morning. He was wearing a dress shirt and tie, carrying his briefcase. But he was a nice guy who admitted that he didn't know anything about disc golf, was very interested in the idea. We talked about disc golf, the community that it creates, the estimated cost to construct a course, and recreation program opportunities as we wandered over to the first tee and waited for a group to finish shooting 1. I eventually teed off.

There were several other groups on the course, so the R.S. observed on his own that that it's a popular recreational activity, is inexpensive to maintain, and is self-promoting (doesn't need a formal program to make worthwhile).

I teed off a couple of shots from #2, and the R.S. didn't even put down his briefcase to he pick up a driver and toss a pretty good approach shot for a rookie. My boyfriend handed him another disc and said, "Put down your briefcase this time." Dang, the R.S. laid it up about 8' from the basket. We knew we had him then.

We stopped playing and we walked the rest of the course. We ran into one of the local guys who's a Grand Master, and the R.S. was pretty impressed with him. Then we watched our friend shoot an amazing tee shot, and that pretty much sealed the deal.

So now I need to get back to the R.S. with a list of suggested resources for him to contact. He wants to understand the opportunity as fully as possible, and put together a preliminary proposal that he can circulate within his department.

I've got a lot of ideas on where to start, and I'd love to hear from anyone who may have been down this path before. I'm also interested in learning about any grants that be available beyond the PDGA's $500 Innovation Award.

Appreciate any experience or resources you have to share.
Thanks in advance.

Well, I too am working with another city (Waukesha, WI) on getting a new course started soon and I meet with the head of their parks dept on July 30. I've yet to even meet with the gentleman for a preliminary hearing, but he wants to here my whole proposal on the 30th.
So...I'm going to hit em with some mostly stuff that I found on the sites of DGA, Innova, and Discraft all have great info on getting a course. They include...

-Brief history
-Benefits of playing and having a course in the planned community.
-Top 15 Reasons to Install a Disc Golf Course
-Budget Analysis(which I'm choosing to show them more expensive baskets first to give them some "sticker shock" followed by the baskets I propose for $100 cheaper per basket.(DGA's) This should give them the feeling that its a great deal.
-Budget for Tee's and signs (these can be added later) I'm just focusing on getting the course going.
-land considerations, maps, blueprints on the park with the proposed course
on it.
-So much more!!!!
Ugh there is so much to do. My main hopes it to show them the basic price for a bare minimum course 9-18 holes, just baskets nothing else-$2300-5400. Then the other stuff can come later. And BIG key to point is VOLUNTEER WORK will keep the budget low and they'll have little to worry about. All you really need is the land use, in theroy hard work and donations could get you the course you want.