• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst ever on one hole?

Circle 12 this past Sunday. Of course, the hole is a 1600' par 7 that plays straight down the grass runway of a private airstrip, then makes a hard dogleg left onto the apron of a hangar. Past the runway lights is OB all the way down until about 30 ft short of the basket, when it opens up toward the basket, with a rope marking the end of the runway OB. I was lying 8, shooting 9 from about 180' out, after keeping it in the runway all the way down, and decided to make a run for the basket. We had a tailwind of 8-10 mph most of the way, but just as I threw a 15-20 mph crosswind came up and just slapped my disc down about 20' short of the rope. So I was lying 10 and it took me two putts to get down from there (first one also got slammed down short by the wind -- would've missed anyway, but would have been a drop-in instead of a 10-15 footer).

Circle 12 this past Sunday. Of course, the hole is a 1600' par 7 that plays straight down the grass runway of a private airstrip, then makes a hard dogleg left onto the apron of a hangar. Past the runway lights is OB all the way down until about 30 ft short of the basket, when it opens up toward the basket, with a rope marking the end of the runway OB. I was lying 8, shooting 9 from about 180' out, after keeping it in the runway all the way down, and decided to make a run for the basket. We had a tailwind of 8-10 mph most of the way, but just as I threw a 15-20 mph crosswind came up and just slapped my disc down about 20' short of the rope. So I was lying 10 and it took me two putts to get down from there (first one also got slammed down short by the wind -- would've missed anyway, but would have been a drop-in instead of a 10-15 footer).

1600 ft down a runway...par 7.....thats just silly! I would get bored after my 5th drive but some people love the crazy big arm challenge! Definetely a unique experience I am sure

1600 ft down a runway...par 7.....thats just silly! I would get bored after my 5th drive but some people love the crazy big arm challenge! Definetely a unique experience I am sure

It was a unique experience, especially in ~45 degree weather with wind gusting up to 25 mph or so, plus rain most of the day (including pretty heavy rain when we were playing that hole). Given the conditions, keeping it inbounds wasn't a foregone conclusion -- even though the runway was approx. 90 ft. wide, everyone on our card went OB at least once coming down it -- I was the only one to make it within 200 ft. or so without going OB, and in hindsight I'd have been better off throwing one more shot down the fairway before making the turn, which would have kept me inbounds the whole way. It sounded like by far the majority of the am players, at least, were OB at least once on that hole.

Second tourney ever. Started playing before I was even close to ready to compete so it didn't help. Quadruple circle 15. 25-30 mile an hour winds (probably worse). Lost my disc on my drive. Re-Teed. Got slammed in the ground about 100 feet up. Next shot got blown back over my head. I don't remember the exact details but I remember trying to make it up to the basket slowly with my putter and I would throw it about 100 feet and then wind would swoop it up and push it back over the river out of bounds. And then I three putted. I stood there and counted all my strokes with pride. Sad thing is, I didn't come in last. I beat a guy that was bagging strokes the entire round, which did not help my concentration at all. But it was nice to not have to worry about being fourth overall anymore after that hole. Just got to go back to having fun.

I think I got an 8 during my first tourney but I don't have it written down.

Worse on my scorecard is a 6, I have gotten several of those.

7 so far (4 over par) I believe.

Haven't gotten a disc wet yet but I've only played two holes with water so far.

10 at no. 6 at Idlewild, which is a par 5. Just remember if you get in trouble make sure to get back on the fairway, don't try to be a hero.

Today I threw a double circle 6 at hole 17 at Parma.

Worst part is I EARNED those 4 legitimate strokes. Just bad skips, rolls and my third shot JUST missed the damn chains (that's third SHOT not my third STROKE...)

\/\/

13 in a tournament, Stoney Hill #18, a hole on which I've had many 3s.

Basket perched on a tall mound, next to OB. At the 2008 Stoney Hill Challenge, 30 MPH winds, blowing towards the OB. Wind would just take putters and kite them into OB, from which you'd be putting back into the wind.

Let's see, I had an 8 on the par 3 #10 at Brackett's Bluff. I know what those of you that have played it are thinking, but it wasn't all the big rock. I threw a bad drive that went straight and high and I've not seen that eagle since. Lost disc re-tee, then a few putts up and over the rock.

Hole #9 at Hornet's nest I had a 9 once. This hole is only 150', but the basket is elevated and has a huge drop off on the front. I cussed my way through a fun 9 of putting hell. Or as Three Putt said earlier...fun times.

at the 2008 loriella challenge i was playing lousy and one of my last holes was a pond hole. i decided to try to skip a thumber off the pond for my upshot. finally succeeded on the 5th attempt, then missed the putt for the quadruple circle 12.

turned out that it made my round score so bad that it fell outside of the 2.5 standard deviations the pdga uses to determine if they count your round and actually raised my rating about 10 points by virtue of the round being excluded. if i'd taken 1 stroke fewer on the hole my rating would have fallen.

I had a four OB catastrophe on a 1000' tourney temp back in Sept and took an '11' on it. It was a completely open hole with flags around the perimeter. I had a nice 20 MPH crosswind to negotiate, and well...didn't manage the hole very well. Funny how the wind was reasonably calm that day until we got up to the teepad there, and how it calmed down again after we were finished.

Latest posts