• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you attempt a 300' drive over water?

Would you throw over water if the nearest land was 300' away?

• Yes

Votes: 155 50.8%
  • No

Votes: 114 37.4%
  • Only in tournament play

Votes: 36 11.8%

• Total voters

sidewinding

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I played a course this weekend and there was a hole that had you teeing off over a small lake. The pin was 400' away and the other side of the lake was 300'. Even though I can consistently throw 360' at a football field, I was afraid to attempt the 300' over water.

I was curious how many people would tee off directly over a lake if the nearest land was 300' away?

I picked "yes" but it really depends on wind. Calm, I would attempt it and hope I don't go flippy.

I also picked yes and have attempted it both successfully and unsuccessfully. Usually I'll pull out an older driver that I won't mind losing and go for it.

My last time doing this was at Great Blue Heron hole #21. The conditions weren't ideal.. the water line was higher than usual (at least I believe it was) and the wind wasn't in my favor but I didn't know when I would get to play there again and didn't want to skip a hole. I'd estimate the distance at the time to be around 325'-350' to make it to the edge of the water line on the other side. I was short by 10 ft. or so.. perhaps if the wind was in my favor or if there wasn't any wind I would have made it. As is, my Wraith is sleeping with the fishes in Ohio :)

Depends. Tournament or practice round? Are there trees and things that could get you hung up or is it an open shot? Wind?

But to answer the questions. Yes... for the most part. Unless there's some reason not too.

I picked "Yes". But it depends on all the factors...

First and foremost, is there a reasonable spot to lay-up with a decent second shot that give a probable '3'?

Is the tee shot over the water a probable birdie from the resulting landing?

What's the wind doing?

Are their people on your card ahead of you to help you see what their discs do?

Check out "The LINKS":
7e096134.jpg

See hole #3... That's a good example of where going across (and clearing) the water gives you a good chance at a '2'. Whereas laying up is safe, but almost a certain '3'. I go across the water from the tee on this hole.

But hole #2 is a different hole. For most players (top pros excluded) clearing the water from the tee will still result in a long putt and probable '3'. So in this case laying up off the tee and crossing on your second shot will still probably result in a '3'. So the risk crossing the water off the tee isn't worth it.

Tournament or not most likely wouldn't change my strategy.

ERic

Last edited:
Let me clarify. The tee pad is 10' from a lake. The other side of the lake is 300'. There are no trees or elevation change. There is nowhere to lay up. You cannot go around the lake. Your choice is throw a disc 300' over the water or skip the hole.

My brother and I skipped the hole in casual play because we thought it wasn't worth losing a disc. In a tournament you have to throw or be disqualified.

I have a really sweet retriever, so I'm honestly more afraid of long grass than lakes, because if its in the water, Ill get it back. This, in turn, causes me to fudge fewer water shots, since Im not nervous, and I rarely need to retrieve things.

Knowing you can get your disc back if it comes down to it is a VERY reassuring feeling!!!!!

Yeah, but I'd probably disc up, overshoot and then throw my putter into the water on the comeback.
That is really funny.

Let me clarify. The tee pad is 10' from a lake. The other side of the lake is 300'. There are no trees or elevation change. There is nowhere to lay up. You cannot go around the lake. Your choice is throw a disc 300' over the water or skip the hole.
That is a poorly designed hole.

That sounds like the hole I played at Great Blue Heron except we discovered an Amateur/Alternate tee on the other side of the water if you didn't want to risk losing a disc (after losing one of course!).

I dislike holes like that because how does a beginner or junior player play the hole. I am not a long driver and so are several guys I play with. A forced carry of 300' with no alternate route is a poorly designed hole. ( my opinion)

Pro/Am tee #1 at Westminster has a similar water clearing requirement.

it would depend on whether it was up hill or down hill, but flat or down hill i would def go for it... putting is my problem distance i have putting i need

well, I would let my friends shoot first...then base my answer off the results.
1. both friends put it in the water=NO
2. one friend makes it, another doesn't=NO
3. both make it=YES (don't want to look like a wuss)
4. if my friends use this same logic and make me go first=NO

Hell yeah! Every time, you cant even doubt that, if you hesitate your going in. The distance is easy it its just mental, if your afraid of loosing a disc your afraid of the hole. The hole will sense your fear and eat your disc.

I can only throw 330, but that 30ft further than i need so ill be laughing!

my answer is a definate yes no matter the conditions!! I can throw 450 feet on a consistant basis I also have a disc for extreme head winds and I won't turn also got one for tail winds and everything in between so I would do it its only a 20 dollar disc no big deal if u don't make it go big or go home and lie on the couch and wonder all day and night what would have happened if u had just played the hole like he said its all mental!!

I'll go for it every time, there's a couple of holes that I play regularly where a 250+ ft shot is required and I've yet to put one in *knocks on wood hard*. You've gotta have faith, and the distance to do it. I also use my Dragon over the long water holes just in case.

Latest posts