• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would You Invest In Disc Golf?

Would I choose a disc company over say a solar company or tech company? No, but if it was a invest in disc or don't invest at all, than yes. Innova would be your super safe, but unlikely to bring a big return. Discraft I'd probably stay away from. I don't see them growing like others. When half your buisness is from one mold that scares me. Trilogy is growing so fast it would depend when you get in. If at the beginning you could make a decent profit buying and a quick resell, but I feel like there is a good chance a trilogy stock would over inflate and come back down hard on people that invested too late. Gateway is interesting, despite the same problem discraft has. They are trying really hard right now to tinker with molds and plastic to deliver a better driver. I think they could be a good investment. One that won't topple, but might not grow either. Mvp looks like the real money maker to me. Steady growth, quickly diversifying their product, offer something most companies dont, and now are starting to invest in sponsership of both events and players. Pair that with a rabid fan base and I would be buying.

I'm starting to feel my hopes for big-money investors in a private course with $13 monthly gross income fading away......

If other sports were all options as well, then I'd have to pick NFL or NBA over PDGA. PDGA could have potential, but the others would b sure money.
As for disc golf companies, Innova would be the safe bet to put money on. DD or Lat 64 (kinda hard to separate these companies) wouldn't be a bad option. Ultimate discs by themselves likely make Discraft a good option. Maybe MVP for a small investment with a high risk-big reward type thing. That's the one that's got potential to go really big and hasn't. But it could just stay where it is.
Would not put money into Prodigy. No, no, no.

How about something other than manufacturers? The PDGA itself, if it were for-profit? Or some other tour, or media producers, or disc retailers, or destination resort courses, or......?

One of the generally unknown factors in the marketplace is whether disc manufacturers need to sponsor pros to produce bigger sales or if it's just that longer established companies can afford to sponsor more pros as a result of their earlier success? If sponsoring top pros isn't really needed to increase sales, then companies like MVP might be more profitable.

How about something other than manufacturers? The PDGA itself, if it were for-profit? Or some other tour, or media producers, or disc retailers, or destination resort courses, or......?
It's an interesting idea if the PDGA were "for profit" instead. It would not have had a market advantage for some things it does and likely would have needed to do other things that may or may not have been profitable. So it would be difficult to assess whether the results would have been better or worse for investors in the long run.

Since this thread wavers somewhere between what actual stock would be worth, and simply speculating on which companies will grow and how fast, I think you can look at the PDGA as the latter and say, Yes, it'll probably continue it's significant growth, in size and revenues. It's always possible that a rival will arise and siphon off a chunk, but if I were betting with my own money, it would be that the PDGA will continue to grow.