• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would You Invest In Disc Golf?

It seems the better return on your investment would be to be discs not stocks. 2001 CE versus a stock issued in 2001?
The hole in your theory is that no one bought CE discs in 2001 for their collectibles status. They bought them to throw. Because of that, several specimens got lost or damaged, making the remaining ones valuable.

Discs also don't pay out dividends.

I could see myself investing if my personal economy was in a bit better state. Disc golf manufacturing market is getting beyond the usual suspects here in Europe.

Innova / Discraft would probably be the safest stock purchases right now, but also would provide the lowest long term profit due to high stock prices. For long term investment with a higher return, I would invest in Dynamic Discs if they were a public trading company. Just my opinion, but I see them distancing themselves from "trilogy" in the near future to better concentrate on their own brand. I could easily see them surpassing Discraft in the next few years if not sooner. Very impressed by their aggressive social marketing.

Prodigy took the more serious / pro approach. The problem with Prodigy imop is, they just don't have the "fun" factor attached to their brand, it's all too serious if you ask me. I think it worked at first to get the interest of "pros" but in the end, we know the buying demographic is probably 90% am vs 10% pro, and the buying ams just seem a little confused by their marketing strategies.

Discraft seems to be stuck in the middle of trying to be "fun" and "serious" and in the process, I think it's possible that new players are over looking them. I was a die hard Discraft guy 3 years ago, and now I don't even consider them an option. I can't explain it...perhaps Innova and DD have just done a better job exposing their discs to me. Someone said Discraft makes a killing in the Ultimate scene, perhaps that's their main money maker and are content with that.

Wouldn't shock me if the other players gobble up each other and attempt to take on the bigger players in the coming years.

Mostly agree, I will add The Faction looks to be more in the startup category with a nice outlook

I say 'Meh' on nice outlook. They sink boatloads into niche molds. Lets see if they can maintain a consistent product lineup for a whole year before categorizing them with having a nice outlook.

I would throw 5 - 10K in Innova and wait 30 years. You never know. We would have to see the IPOs roll out and company valuations to make a real decision, but I'm assuming Innova is the sales leader, has the largest major sporting goods retail footprint and seems to be heavily involved in the most prestige events that will eventually be marketed to the masses (I mean, who knows what happens in 30 years).

Some really interesting comments here.

I wouldn't buy stock in any of them, period. No growth potential. There are ways better ways to invest. Up to five years ago I might have considered ground floor investment, but unless the market growth changes, that growth is to slow due to the influx of new competitors. For the most part, growth is gonna be through cannibalism. Latitude has shown an aptitude for that, and Dave's tour is tuned to that. I wouldn't count Innova as unable to fight back though. I'm guessing who's gonna get et are smaller guys. Discraft too. Look at the numbers provided by the reseller who does the annual survey. He posted them a week or so ago.

If you take tech stock as a comparison. It is driven by development. Nothing like that occurs here. People actually value their older plastic more than new. If I were in marketing at one of these manufacturers, I'd start selling the idea that new plastic flies better than old.

What none of our master analysts wanna say...

cannabinoidis legalization trends = growth of frisbee industry
WHUH-OH!!!

but I've only seen Trading Places a few times so I'm no expert here

What none of our master analysts wanna say...

cannabinoidis legalization trends = growth of frisbee industry
WHUH-OH!!!

but I've only seen Trading Places a few times so I'm no expert here

aannnnnnd. mixed feelings. more untrained dogs on the course......:|

The hole in your theory is that no one bought CE discs in 2001 for their collectibles status. They bought them to throw. Because of that, several specimens got lost or damaged, making the remaining ones valuable.

Discs also don't pay out dividends.

Totally understand how the value of CE came about, but more of a quick jab that if hindsight could play a factor that the current state of investing in a DG company may or may not pay off in a way that would be profitable; if you are investing, you are doing so more for the passion of the sport than in hopes of making a fortune.

Would You Invest In Disc Golf? I have done so with my time for over 20 years but compared to other monetary investments over 30 years now I know there are many better options.

I would throw 5 - 10K in Innova and wait 30 years. You never know. We would have to see the IPOs roll out and company valuations to make a real decision, but I'm assuming Innova is the sales leader, has the largest major sporting goods retail footprint and seems to be heavily involved in the most prestige events that will eventually be marketed to the masses (I mean, who knows what happens in 30 years).

Thats ths thing with investments... It doesnt really matter. There are some successful companies with terrible stock management. Disc golf in the current state is more of a seed/angel investment sector similar to what we saw with CAM RE and what is now MVP.

One could argue investing in innova is safe but with lower ROI possible and likely higher priced shares intially which could lose value in the case of an IPO etc.. The stocks of great companies in strongly growing sectors can turn out to be poor investments. In turn, the stocks of companies in declining sectors can be excellent investments.

The biggest makers need to be buying land. No joke.

Thats ths thing with investments... It doesnt really matter. There are some successful companies with terrible stock management. Disc golf in the current state is more of a seed/angel investment sector similar to what we saw with CAM RE and what is now MVP.

One could argue investing in innova is safe but with lower ROI possible and likely higher priced shares intially which could lose value in the case of an IPO etc.. The stocks of great companies in strongly growing sectors can turn out to be poor investments. In turn, the stocks of companies in declining sectors can be excellent investments.

The biggest makers need to be buying land. No joke.

Thanks Warren. ;) The good ol' cigar butt investments Mr. Buffett got rich from. Your explanation reminds me why I should not invest in stocks and why I don't customize my 401k and let my companies vendor do it. But I make several dollars per year in interest off my savings account...... #whymillennialswonthavearetirement #nomorepensions

Investing in disc golf is definitely a step up from helping out a temporarily displaced African Prince.

NOOOO!!! I would be surprised if > 20 disc golf exclusive companies outside of manufacturers actually have a business plan, charter, formal incorporation documents, etc. The only companies I think would offer stock would be Vibram and Wham-O. I think they are both subsidiaries of large public chemical or rubber companies in Asia.

Doesnt discraft also make the largest selling ultimate discs as well? I know they only need 1 disc between 12 or so but still thats a lot of discs sold through that sport too.