• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you play with a known Insert Heinous Criminal Act Here?

It's an interesting question.

Doesn't really matter to me, unless it's personal or I happen to know some horrible detail that makes me unable to be around the person. For instance, if I had the choice between playing 18 with a petty thief, or with a person who I only know is a sex offender (but I don't know about their crime), I'd pick the sex offender because the petty thief will look for a chance to steal from me. But if I knew that the offender did X to a Y-year-old, I just wouldn't be able to stomach having fun with them.

There isn't really any social justice in shunning people from everyday activities, but there's also a knowledge component to it. Maybe not exactly "hear no evil" but similar.

Uhhh, huhhhuh, you said like, "insert heinous criminal act here".

tenor.gif

There isn't really any social justice in shunning people from everyday activities, but there's also a knowledge component to it. Maybe not exactly "hear no evil" but similar.

I can appreciate this.

When I refuse to associate with people, it's not a social justice issue. It's not about how it affects them.

It's about me. I play tournaments for pleasure. If there's enough displeasure being in someone's presence, I'll forego it.

I'd play with Jeffrey Dahmer just cuz he might have something interesting to say. I'm NOT forfeiting my entry fee....

That would be just fine, until he pisses you off and you tell him to "bite me, Jeffrey."

If I had to make a choice between Dahmer and a child molester, I'd play a round with Dahmer.

Child molesters are the lowest in my book and I don't care how anyone views that. I would yell at the top of my lungs if I find out someone is a molester and people around did not know.

When I refuse to associate with people, it's not a social justice issue. It's not about how it affects them.

It's about me. I play tournaments for pleasure. If there's enough displeasure being in someone's presence, I'll forego it.

That's part of what I was trying to get at, that if I have knowledge of the person's crime and it makes me ill, I can't enjoy my time around that person. It's not about banning the person from trying to have a life or making them pay or anything. Some might feel differently on that point.

The underlined part speaks for me. Maybe they've paid their debt to society, or whatever other rational case we can make. But ultimately, it comes down to how the experience affects me at at kind of visceral level.

The social justice aspect will definitely occur to me. Might even weigh on my mind... a bit. But I still gotta live with the guy in the mirror.

I have friends who dislike each other and will occasionally hear something like "I can't believe you're playing with that POS. You know he did X,Y, & Z" When possible, I try to be present in the moment. If someone has done something, but are not currently doing it in my presence, I can only go by our interactions. I refuse to hate someone just because other people want me to. There are plenty of people out there that I don't like playing with because I don't enjoy their company. There are some folks out there who have a shady past that I don't mind playing with because in the space of 18 holes, I enjoy their company. Doesn't mean we'll go hang out after the round though.

On a serious note, I take my young kids to the course fairly frequently. If I knew that one of the regulars was a pedo I'd almost certainly turn around if they were there and I had a kid with. Anything else it would depend on the nature of the heinous act...

ja, u gotta b careful with all those wierdos out amongst us. I met a guy one time trying to get a disc out of a bog and he told me he had been there yesterday and almost sank up to his pubes. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

No way José.
1. There is a much higher prevalence of psychopaths among convicted violent offenders than in the general population.
2. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.
3. Psychopaths are generally not "cured". There's not a drug for it, and often therapy does nothing but train them to be more cunning and hide their real nature.

The theory that a person has paid their debt to society is irrelevant in a system where rehabilitation is not guaranteed before someone is released. So no, I'm not spending a few hours alone in the woods with some nut who might fancy me as his next project. Give me the annoying a-hole with the foot faults, bad taste in music or whatever.

I don't trust stoners (or anyone for that matter) who like Pearl Jam to the point of using their imagery for self gain. Definitely won't let my kids anywhere near those degenerates, especially when there are so many better bands out there.

We have been through both the restraining order issue (restrainee had to leave) and the out of jail sex offender issue (you're stuck with him- deal with it) semi-locally. As much as I would like the latter guy to simply go away he does not have the grace to do so.

How is this even a thread? I'm a paramedic and have seen criminals do terrible things to people and children, things that most of you could not imagine, things that a horror movie would close its eyes to. This appalls me from the disc golf community on here. I play to escape what I see at work and to think Id have to play with someone that was pedo, murderer, or rapist. Maybe I am over reacting due to a current event that just happened here, but this just makes me sick.

How is this even a thread? I'm a paramedic and have seen criminals do terrible things to people and children, things that most of you could not imagine, things that a horror movie would close its eyes to. This appalls me from the disc golf community on here. I play to escape what I see at work and to think Id have to play with someone that was pedo, murderer, or rapist. Maybe I am over reacting due to a current event that just happened here, but this just makes me sick.

the reality is you're sharing your world with them all the time. i currently have 162 registered sex offenders living within 1 mile of my address. and honestly, I live in a town with a low crime rate.

Playing disc golf with such a person does not involve you in the details of their crime. You are dealing with pedophiles and rapists constantly; at work, at the store, in this forum, at the disc golf course.