• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith vs Destroyer

RightAJ

Birdie Member
I had a DX Wraith that I loved (and lost:() and I throw a CFR Champ that I like now. I am thinking about getting a Echo Star, but I've heard great things about the Destroyer and am considering that as well.

Anyone have insight on the difference between the two? I know the numbers say they're basically the same minus a speed difference, but flight-wise what are the differences?

aj

Basically you answered your own question

If you are maxing out the wraith...its time for the destroyer

just remember DX Pro Star Champ in order of relative stability

Wraith is more understable. If you have the arm for a destroyer then try one out. If you liked the DX Wraith, try out a Pro Destroyer. Might be more of what you are looking for than a Star. Champ destroyers are bad.

I would say if you liked the DX wraith...try a pro wraith before a destroyer. unless you can easily turn over that cfr wraith

It really depends on if you have the power for the Destroyer or not. Even though these two discs are really close to each other on the chart it isn't hard to have enough power for a Wraith but not a Destroyer. Destroyers really like power.

Destroyers

Champ - Quite a bit more overstable then the wraith. If you are not getting 350 plus it will fade quite a bit.

Echo - I had one for a bit. It started out like the champ but had some of its stability beat out of it in 2 to 3 weeks so that it was just a bit more over stable then my champ wraiths.

Pro - I actually like these as they beat in fast and turn out to be just a wider rim wraith. These things are also nice as they are easy to get cheap as most locals look to get rid of them as soon as some of the stability is beaten out.

DX - Have no experience. But I can imagine they would be mush pretty darn fast as a maxx d driver in base plastic.

CHEERS - Koffee

i believe the transition goes -

orc -> wraith -> destroyer -> Boss

when it's time, you'll ask about the next level.

do be careful as plastic and weight variances can affect the flight and throwing experience.

Wraiths were my go to disc when I threw big drivers, so I have quite a bit of experience with them. The Echo Star Wraiths are quite nice and stable, my preference for them. If you want to try out a Destroyer, go Pro. If you're looking for a Wraith you can bomb, Pro Wraiths are the best distance driver you can buy at that speed in my opinion. If I were you I would stick to the Wraith until you get close to 375 feet, because you will definitely be able to handle the Destroyer's stability.

I throw both star wraiths (172ish) and Star Destroyers (175). For me it is a difference in versatility vs dependability. I can put the wraith on more lines than I can the destroyer but I pretty much always know where my destroyer is going to land when I throw it.
Pro destroyers are a different story. They will straight up bomb out of the box but get flippy pretty quick. I keep one just around for fun but I have to put like a 70 degree hyzer angle on it to get a good 400+ flight path. I'm pretty sure that the Pro destroyer is or was Avery Jenkin's distance competition disc of choice.

If you do not have the power for the destroyer check out the new Innova Vulcan. 13 speed disc but flies best when thrown with less the max power. I have both the destroyer and vulcan and would reach for the destroyer in windy situations and go for the vulcan anytime else.

I throw both star wraiths (172ish) and Star Destroyers (175). For me it is a difference in versatility vs dependability. I can put the wraith on more lines than I can the destroyer but I pretty much always know where my destroyer is going to land when I throw it.
Pro destroyers are a different story. They will straight up bomb out of the box but get flippy pretty quick. I keep one just around for fun but I have to put like a 70 degree hyzer angle on it to get a good 400+ flight path. I'm pretty sure that the Pro destroyer is or was Avery Jenkin's distance competition disc of choice.

Avery and Garret Gurthie. Althought they both like Echo Star Destroyers as well.

The destroyer is more hss than the wraith for me. I threw the wraith for a while but now the destroyer has replaced it. The execption to this is on fh (lefty) courses. I put a wraith in my bag then because it does different things on a fh line for me.

I throw echo star and pro destroyers.