• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WTO 2020

Yeah...no scores on the final groups for a few hours...was it weather? Or something else?

I've played tourneys where it was an option and had no interest in being the one using my phone all round. Some card mates agreed to do it, some didn't. Not everyone likes being shackled to their phone.

Yup. I suspect that keeping score on a phone will become the norm one day, but it holds that 1) some people, whatever the percentage, don't have smart phones, 2) some don't want to use them for scoring, and 3) if you are like me and use your phone as a medical device, then you're possessive about battery life across a stretch of continuous hours away from a recharge.

Yup. I suspect that keeping score on a phone will become the norm one day, but it holds that 1) some people, whatever the percentage, don't have smart phones, 2) some don't want to use them for scoring, and 3) if you are like me and use your phone as a medical device, then you're possessive about battery life across a stretch of continuous hours away from a recharge.
Not trying to counter your point and suggest everyone add weight to their disc bag, but you should get a portable cell phone charger. My phone isn't a medical device, but having multiple recharges has helped me survive long plane rides.

Not trying to counter your point and suggest everyone add weight to their disc bag, but you should get a portable cell phone charger. My phone isn't a medical device, but having multiple recharges has helped me survive long plane rides.

I look at them from time to time. Probably a good idea. Surely beats going to car at lunch to add charge.

I've played tourneys where it was an option and had no interest in being the one using my phone all round. Some card mates agreed to do it, some didn't. Not everyone likes being shackled to their phone.

Rather, "I don't understand why more players don't use it."
I totally get the limitations and the exceptions. I come down very strongly in the camp that electronic scoring must never be mandatory and paper cards should always be available. (at least, for the foreseeable future.)
But getting 20 players' scores recorded out of 444 players (4.5% adoption rate) is insanely low.

Rather, "I don't understand why more players don't use it."
I totally get the limitations and the exceptions. I come down very strongly in the camp that electronic scoring must never be mandatory and paper cards should always be available. (at least, for the foreseeable future.)
But getting 20 players' scores recorded out of 444 players (4.5% adoption rate) is insanely low.

In an instance like this, I suspect it was a TD/staff fail rather than players choosing not to do live scoring. By that I mean that they did a poor job of informing players about the live scoring password, if they did at all. Just as an example, for the US Masters last year, it wasn't until Sunday morning (after 3 rounds) that an email was sent out with the instructions and password. Any live scoring prior to that was only due to players specifically asking for the password.

That said, plenty of players will still choose not to do live scoring even when giving clear instructions, but I can't imagine this many top pros would do so when live scoring has become so ubiquitous for them. It's not like there weren't enough caddies or other hangers-on to do it if the players preferred not to.

I've found that sweetening the pot by suggesting that the one who is doing phone scoring should be excused from taking a turn with the pencil and paper scorecard works well. There's almost always someone around who haaaates the pencil and paper and jumps on this chance.

Last edited:
I enjoyed hearing Philo's interview on the local CBS feature for the tournament. He is a good spokesman for the sport. I also like his playing form. But his constant negativity and muttering in tournament play makes me not want to watch any featured cards with him on it.

Great to see Ohn Scoggins back at it! Leader through two rounds, stumbled slightly in the final to lose to Jessica Weese, who played above her rating. Good to see Kona Panis and Hannah McBeth play above their ratings too, Hannah's game has looked really good in the Paul/Brodie videos.

Anyone know if there was coverage of the FPO cards? A small channel called Disc Golf Dame handled it surprisingly well last year, not sure if they were out there again or not.

Latest posts