• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WWWHHHHYYY can't I throw past 350'?

geoloseth

Birdie Member
Ok, so every now and then I can get further, but doing field practice and generally trying to throw the farthest shot I can while keeping the disc relatively low (20-25') I can't seem to get past the 350' mark.

The one thing I can think of is that I'm not getting the last little bit of timing down during the hit and that my hand and wrist aren't open as much as they should.

Please, if anyone sees something that I don't, let me know. Also, sorry for the Adobe band on the video. Used the trial version to see if the slow motion feature is any good.....not the worst.

I just looks like your throwing the disc gently, and not putting that much into it

zero acceleration. you can always tell if a person has a good hit when you mash on the play/pause button really fast and if you can see it or not (most cameras are not good enough to get a fast hit) and you can pause yours at nearly ever frame with really no increase throughout. Technique doesn't look bad as far as mechanics go but I think how you are going about it hinders your D. Slowing down initially should allow for more weight to transfer into the hit and keep your stance closed a little longer so you can leverage that weight. Also looks like you are either trying to reach back too far and need to shorten or turn your shoulders away more WS style and get the core involved as the movements are there but not much being generated from them which is why others are saying it looks like an approach.

It's only my opinion, and I've been playing about 14 months and can only throw 400' on a perfect drive - usually about the same as you 350-ish - you look as though you are getting up to and into the hit at the same speed and have no lag between your lower body and upper body. Try really hard to push off the back leg onto the front - throw your hips open and don't pull from the reach back - only begin the pull after your hips have cleared and accelerate through the hit with a shoulder turn at the end. Pause the video right as your reachback is at it's farthest point - then start/stop again - your pull is at the pecks and your hips are opening at the same time. Try to get some lag between those motions and snap to the hit point - joining (kinetic chaining) the 2 motions and multiplying the power.

I'm an old fart (6ft 205 lbs and weak!) who just started playing but I'm really working on these things right now and it helps me. There are many really great, experienced players on this site who can probably help you more than me ~ take the advice for what it's worth (two cents)and good luck man!

You start swinging over the top before your weight transfers and plant with the foot/hips open. You want to use your hips, turning further back(not leaning away, but turning away). Then whip the arm and disc leading with the hips, after you brace your weight through the inside of the front leg/foot. It's going to feel quite different. Watch how the pros hips do not continue as far forward in the finish. You have tipped your weight over the top of the front foot instead of bracing your weight through the inside. Watch where your front knee is relative the foot compared to the pros. Also watch how the pros bring the arm and disc into the backswing under the shoulder and forward under.

Read/watch:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88599
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24009

Thanks for the input. Yes, I've always tried to keep my throwing motion as smooth as possible while feeling like I'm accelerating once the disc reaches my right pec.

mash on the play/pause button really fast and if you can see it or not (most cameras are not good enough to get a fast hit)

This was shot at 60fps on a high quality Nikon. I'm not sure if YouTube converts it automatically, but I'm sure it doesn't help.

You want to use your hips, turning further back(not leaning away, but turning away). Then whip the arm and disc leading with the hips, after you brace your weight through the inside of the front leg/foot.

I'll try to keep my hips closed more when I plant. I'll probably have to go back and read more of my golf books find drills to keep the timing correct. Getting some practice tomorrow for a tournament on Sunday so I'll try to bring the camera with me and get some updated footage (hopefully showing some progress)

Thanks again.

I think I can relate to what you are experiencing. I also don't accelerate enough, trying to keep everything smooth and all. Looking forward to see you brake 350 regularly soon! Keep it up.

I am the first to say that I'm not a distance master - but I am working on my form everyday - and I'm now able to hit 390' on flat ground pretty regularly, with a few 400+ shots when everything goes right. That said, it doesn't take much for that to drop to 300-350'.

Small things add up. As others have said, acceleration is huge. My runnup is slower than yours, more of what WS does on his non-drives. It allows me to keep the system quiet.

WWMfMix.jpg

Doing the old pause, pause, pause number on youtube I was able to spot a big difference between your body position and the pros, above.

They're already weighing that front foot, while you're on the back foot. I don't have a very good vocabulary for this stuff, but it seems like you're not loading up the front leg.

Also, it's hard to tell while you're in grass, but it looks like you're pivoting on your toes or the ball of your front foot. Try to rock back onto your heel and pivot from the heel (watch the pros do it in the video, it's subtle) and save the tweaking on your knee. Pivoting on your heel allows a much smoother transfer into your follow through too.

So, just my input, from a guy in the same ballpark. Hope it helps, if not it was free!

Last edited:
Hyzer- yes I do pivot on the ball of my foot. Mostly because I've had some nerve issues in my lower back and right leg. I can't forcefully lift my toes off the ground which has led to me really rolling my knee. For the foreseeable future ill have to keep the toe rotation as it is.

I'll get more video tomorrow. I don't think it's evident in the video but the camera is at an acute angle to my run-up. I'll make sure it's 90* to get a more accurate view.