• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wyno's Bag - need input

Moseley

Birdie Member
Ok, got some sweet discs in the mail today, and combined with oldies n goldies I think I'm about set for summer.
Distance about 350 consistently, 400 on good throws.

Bag: Revolution Team Carolina (got this lightly used for 35$ - filled up with 23 discs! :D)

Distance drivers:

X Wildcat - New, |72 - Flat n straight, Hyzers
DX Valkyrie - Seasoned, 169 - Open distance, tailwind

Fairway:

KC Pro Eagle (X), New, 172 (lucky to get this tossed in when I bought the bag, will change this to a DX rotation if I keep digging it) - Flex/hyzers, headwinds
DX Teebird, Seasoned, 173 - Straight, headwinds
Z XL, New, 170 - turnover that comes back a bit, tailwind
X Xl, Beat, 168 turnower

Mids:

Z Buzz, New, 170 - flat n fade, hyzers, headwinds
X Buzz, Beat, 172, just damn straight
Z Comet, New, 170, All lines, touch shots, straight when there's more height/less wind
X Comet, Beat, 173, want's to go right unless I'm stuck where I can only use my wrist in wich case It still glides 125 feet. pretty useful :)

Putters:
Soft Ion, New 173 - drives, upshots
D Focus, New, 172 - putting

Lacking in the overstable slot, thinking about a XXX here but the Teebird and Eagle has been almost enough so far...
The Wildcat might go as well, barely longer than my valk and not really that much more stable, but so far it's more predictable in wind and better on low lines. I've promised myself to keep away from faster stuff this summer, but I might be tempted by something a bit faster/more stable to complement the valk.
The Focus might have to submit to something more overstable as well, but i LOVE the feel for putting. Switched from Banger cause I never got into the GT and it seems to have slightly less LSS, wich I like.
Both the Focus and the Ion are fresh from the post office but the few throws I had with them were exactly what I'd hoped for :)

Comments, suggestions?

Well, 4 days of testing and help (and discs) from the more experienced local players is all it takes to affect a change :):

Stable Distance driver:
Z Avenger, 171

Understable Distance Driver
DX Valkyrie - Seasoned, 169

Overstable Driver:
Z Predator, 172

Fairway:
DX Teebird, Seasoned, 173.
Z XL, New, 170
X Xl, Beat, 168

Mids:
Z Buzz, New, 170
X Buzz, Beat, 172
Z Comet, New, 170
X Comet, Beat, 173

Putters:
Soft Ion, New 173

So 11 discs, 8 molds. I'll be bringing spares if I want to practice or for new courses, but I think this is all i need and more than I can handle :)

LOVE the grip on the Predator (and the Avenger as well), fits my fingers perfectly. Instant addidtions. Played my first rounds with the Pred today in a gusting wind and realized why you need a disc like that...

The Eagle lost out to the teebird and Avenger-combo. Avenger is quite a bit longer than both the others for me, and the teebird is just damn reliable when there's danger to the right, and it fades less then both the Eagle and the Avenger,

The Focus has failed the cut compared to the Ions both as putters and for approaches, now I just need to get a couple more of them... would really like to get a medium, the flight plate feels a bit thin and flexible for putting, apart from that it flies like a dream :)

the buzzes are better at low ceiling drives and upshots, with/without fade (z/x), they can take more power and they're better in wind. the comets are amazing with less power, less wind and more heigth, for getting out of trouble with a flick of the wrist and the most beautiful lines in tight places.

Some changes in the distance driver section, I'm almost sad to admit that the PD has replaced both my avengers and teebirds.
Working to beat a P-PD more thorougly so I can banish my valkyrie for ever as well, I still put it in the bag for courses with drastic right-turning holes. Tested a Surge SS, and Vision as alternatives but I think I'm going to try to stick with the PD's for a while at least. Also, I've been getting more control on turnover drives with the xl's lately and I like having only 6 molds in the bag :)

Never expected the PD's to live up to the hype so well...

Stable Distance driver:
S-PD, 172
P-PD fresh, 172

Understable Distance Driver
P-PD - Seasoned, 169

Overstable Driver:
Z Predator, 172

Fairway:
Z XL, New, 170
X Xl, seasoned, 170

Mids:
Z Buzz, New, 170
X Buzz, Beat, 172
Z Comet, New, 1701
X Comet, Seasoned, 173

Putters:
Soft Ion, New 173 (short anhyzer approaches + workhorse in the woods)
Medium Ion 174 (drives)
Medium Ion 174 (Black one kept just for putting)

PS. Just got a Jam-Bag for quick rounds after works etc, usually stuffed with Medium Ion, X Comet, Z Buzz, X XL and P-PD - and the pred if it's really windy. minimal weight + 2 beverage holders = brilliant for hot days :)

Your bag looks a lot like my own. Though I'm throwing the C-PD instead of the Predator, JLS instead of the XL and the core/fuse instead of the buzzz/comet. I also have a drone and a VP in the bag.

I used to throw XL's though and still have some, I just found the JLS to be better in the wind. The buzzz/comets are great and are very comparable to the core/fuse lineup. I prefer the swedish plastic though and like that the fuse isn't as touchy as the comet. I've never thrown the Predator though, have you tried out a C-PD? I'm told they're similar and you may like to eliminate a mold if you're in to that kind of thing.

what'shisname said:
I used to throw XL's though and still have some, I just found the JLS to be better in the wind. The buzzz/comets are great and are very comparable to the core/fuse lineup. I prefer the swedish plastic though and like that the fuse isn't as touchy as the comet. I've never thrown the Predator though, have you tried out a C-PD? I'm told they're similar and you may like to eliminate a mold if you're in to that kind of thing.
I'm getting a C-PD as soon as they come in regular production! They sound pretty similar to the Z-Avenger I used this spring, will be useful in the wind I'm sure. Don't know if it will kick out the pred - I really like the pred for it's utter predictability, straightness and abrupt fade, the Z-avenger I have is almost as overstable but the fade starts earlier and carries longer.
The XL was the first driver I really could control so it's hard to kick it :)
Anyway, I'm gonna stick with this bag at least until my first real tournament in september (Norwegian championships). I'm all for minimalism by the way; most practice rounds right now I just bring 5/6 discs in my JamBag, but I still like to put a valkyrie and/or a Surge SS in for long-range and turnover duties occasionally.
I'd like to test the xxx, fuse and river from lat64 at least but I'll save them for winter/next spring :)

So, time for some evaluatin'...
Nothing changed so far and I'm pretty happy with most of this bag, BUT I've lost 4 crucial discs lately and need to restock and it might be time to try a bit of a change...
Straigth/Understable distance: Never got my P-PD beat enough to really perform in this role. The only P-PD I have left is 175, newish and has a solid fade unless I really hit it. I'm still too inconsistent to really trust it. I confess to having used a beat DX Teebird a lot lately :)
Fairway: I've lost my two X-XLs, the Z-XL is good but also fades out too often when I want it to go straight. So the beat teebird has replaced som xl-duties as well.

So I need advice about wich strategy to choose now;
1. Keep it minimal while adding some understable distance: Drop the XLs and TB, gain river for understable distance/fairway s-shots, work hard to beat in a P-PD in lighter weight for straightness and alternative understable distance, and keep working the Buzz/comet range for other straight duties.
2. Change nothing, buy two p-pds, two x-xls, keep the tb's until one of the p-pds is beat enough to replace it.
3. Indulge! Get a couple of new P-PDs, X-XLs, keep the teebird and test a River, TD etc (Suggestions?) for the understable distance slot. Tell my wife I found some new discs :)

Anyone care to help me out here? I really can't make up my mind this time :oops:

Latest posts