• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

XCaliber

ZAMson said:
(sharpen yer boot, and bloodgen yer eye!)

When I pull out the Claymore, you're shit out of luck.

Sorry, I just saw this quote my Zam, and had to respond. I did feel the echo ex caliber for the 1st time yesterday, and it does have that hard, slick CE feeling. they are not gummy like the other excals. The Echo plastic just feels like beef. I'd love to see something less stable like a Valkyrie run in this plastic.

x-out said:
Takeichi said:
echo ftw i think these are the more overstable ones over the regular star plastics

eco FTL :roll: too much stability=loss of potential distance
star FTW

KJ (placed 15th at the memorial this year) was flipping the echo into a head-crosswind. Granted he was crushing it, and he didnt hyzer it much. I think the beefy Teerex comparison sounds pretty good.

rehder said:
I think the beefy Teerex comparison sounds pretty good.

Look at the disc. That's what it is... The nose and wing designs are identical.

The Destroyer is the Wraith+, the XC is the TR+.

So the Echo XCaliber has a huge dome. And this translates to more overstability than the regular star? Any other differences?

I think most of this is silly. The wraith, teerex, detroyer, and xcaliber are like 99% the same disc. The destroyer is slightly faster, the teerex is slightly more overstable, the xcaliber is slightly more overstable...99% of players I see shouldnt even be throwing wraiths much less these other discs. Also, most people I know that throw wraiths and the like throw really light weight ones because they are so fast to begin with. A max weight wraith is plenty beefy unless you are throwing over 450. I dont know...I just get mad when I see people throwing wraiths anny on 300' flex shots...which just about everyone I see who throws wraith-like discs do. All these people would probably throw cheetahs farther on average if they had decent form.

Aaron_D said:
II just get mad when I see people throwing wraiths anny on 300' flex shots...which just about everyone I see who throws wraith-like discs do. All these people would probably throw cheetahs farther on average if they had decent form.
I will say that I do like answering, "A Roc" when they ask me what I just threw on the same hole, though.

nice drive kid said:
So the Echo XCaliber has a huge dome. And this translates to more overstability than the regular star? Any other differences?

Let's try this again... anyone got an answer?

Just recently I've actually been thinking about how the dome affects the disc, wondering if its just glide. I think it contributes to understability a bit the more dome you have.

I didn't think dome added stability. I think alot of it has to do with the cruising speed of the xcal, being too high for most to reach for long, so the disc appears very overstable. Most overstable discs are flat tops, including the normal xcalibers, firebirds, crushes I can't flip, monsters. This is why I figured some people "tweak" their disc, or push down on the flight plate to flatten their old beat up disc and give it some extra stability. Some models do pull off a dome with overstability though, like the max and the eco xcaliber.

I also recently picked up a 167 champion destroyer for some max D shots, it had a huge dome compared to a star destroyer I have. Found myself getting worked up a lil when I let this guy see it and he started pushing the dome down (out of habit I guess) and started wondering about the xcal and how it maintains its stability.

nice drive kid said:
nice drive kid said:

Let's try this again... anyone got an answer?

that about covers it.

eco= pop top dome
eco= more overstable than star

i'm not sure how the eco's break in, but the star run of xcaliber's have been known to take abuse better than any other star disc.

Seanzerelli said:
Dome doesn't add stability. Dome adds glide.

If anything the regular stars are flatter, and more overstable than the eco.

Yes but in some cases the dome does add stability (ala the Forces)

You can always push the dome down, it only helps the way I see it. You can't push a flat top disc into a dome though. Eco is gonna be sought after I bet if they don't do a lot more of this plastic. If you're gonna pay the same price for either I'd get the eco. I think it flies better, and the first run non-eco seems more similar to the production run.

Seanzerelli said:
You can always push the dome down, it only helps the way I see it.

The dome doesn't stay pushed down though, does it? It's not like the Wildfire. I've felt both and I don't think that the dome would stay down once thrown.

I mean it only helps when you have a dome to push down. As in when it wears, that's when I usually see people pushing the dome down, when they're throwing an old beat up disc. Flatter discs will knife down faster. So it's either way, the ecos will be less stable, but I haven't turned one over yet. I'm just assuming when a disc gets real beat it starts to lose its dome. I've never found a thrashed disc with a poppy dome myself.

And the first run xcals don't seem to be different from the production runs like the destroyer was. I just went by a shop and they had just gotten in some eco xcals with the normal production stamp. They were just as domey. I actually came across a yellow one with a dome almost the size of an eco. all the others were pretty flat though.

Flat is cool I guess, it won't lose its stability as much during wear. I just don't see myself turning this disc over any time soon so I went ahead and went with the dome for glide.

The real reason I got ecos is because Feldberg throws them. :oops: