• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

-Y U no buy from Marketplace?-

And my final thought, which may or may not be related, is this: a lot of disc golfers are cheap bastards and lowball way too much, not thinking about the price of shipping. We are already usually listing discs in good condition at low prices, but people still aim low. I know it's a marketplace and we all have the right to bargain, but it gets tiresome.
This. I try to haggle as much as possible, but I try to keep in mind the hassle of selling/trading when I do. I rarely sell anything because people don't jump unless you're giving the disc away after you've shipped it. It's getting to the point that I'm about to stop looking at the MP altogether.

Trading's worse. Baseline for Champ seems to be considered fair for some reason. I can't count on both hands how many times people were all about a trade like that until I asked for a little PayPal to make it more fair.

Thanks for the responses so far, been some good ones, and some seemingly "copy-and-paste" answers, but I enjoy all the feedback regardless.

Searching is very simple. If you want a disc, type the name in the search and browse threads that it's mentioned it..

Try finding an XD :p

Seriously though, I used to use the MP more, but I have most of the plastic I want already, except for soft Pro Rhynos. Nobody seems to ever be selling those though :(

And my final thought, which may or may not be related, is this: a lot of disc golfers are cheap bastards and lowball way too much, not thinking about the price of shipping.

Also to include persons that think their discs are WAY to valuable.

It's not just shipping, it's also my time to get out and ship the discs. Time and gas spent. That's why I like to deal locally, but if there is something that really catches my eye, I'll bite, and I'll pay the shipping cost.

I don't use MP. I am not interested in used plastic. I am also not one for running out to purchase the latest, greatest. I have a simpler approach. I have found discs that work well for my throw and style and stick with most of them. I might throw a disc I find, (without ink) to see what I think about it. But, my needs are straight forward. I don't need to start collecting anything. If I have plastic I don't use and need to get rid of, I would rather give it to a noob or organization that is in need of sports equipment. I have given away some apparently valuable stuff along the way too.

i feel like for the 5 bucks, plus shipping, plus most people wanting more for used discs, than i can buy them new, whats the point.
ie i buy an overpriced 8/10 euro plastic. most want $15 or so plus the $6 shipping, for colors and weights i dont get to control, vs brand new euro for $14 MS i hand pic.
i understand seemingly a lot of people like to really overpay for their discs through DN DD and DGC, and not go through MS for less, but im just not one of those people.

I dont use the MP because I am too dumb and lazy to search for a disc I want. I hate the thrill of the hunt and would rather pay 20-50% more plus shipping. I also find a 3 DX wraiths everytime I play so Im good on those.

I don't use the marketplace because its easy to find good deals there and I get more money from used discs then my local PIAS would give me.

i feel like for the 5 bucks, plus shipping, plus most people wanting more for used discs, than i can buy them new, whats the point.
ie i buy an overpriced 8/10 euro plastic. most want $15 or so plus the $6 shipping, for colors and weights i dont get to control, vs brand new euro for $14 MS i hand pic.
i understand seemingly a lot of people like to really overpay for their discs through DN DD and DGC, and not go through MS for less, but im just not one of those people.

Single discs can ship as low as 2.80...

I dont use the MP because I am too dumb and lazy to search for a disc I want. I hate the thrill of the hunt and would rather pay 20-50% more plus shipping. I also find a 3 DX wraiths everytime I play so Im good on those.

:doh: :doh:
:doh: :doh:

;)

Single discs can ship as low as 2.80...

Plus envelope price, plus delivery confirmation, plus gas and time (I just moved from a place where I was in walking distance to the post office. Now I'm a fifteen minute drive away and often sacrifice my lunch to ship to people who lowballed me). I really don't think a base figure of $5 for shipping is unfair.

^ I'm just speaking in terms of POSTAGE. I always re-use envelopes etc, and make sure to do all my shipping out at one time etc. (I don't normally even get DC because I usually only deal with trusted users on here)

I see the validity in most points being made, however.

I have a good local shop near me with a decent used selection and I know plenty of people who have plastic for sale. I have never purchased any plastic while sitting at a computer.

There's my reason as well. I like to give those guys my business. I also like to look the discs over and handle them before buying them.

Also, much of what I see on the MP are collectible type discs, which I'm not that interested in at this point.

Last edited:
I don't use it very much any more because disc golfers are too cheap. Just to get anything sold I have to ship out a brand new champ cfr or star disc for 6 bucks. Not worth the time. I just got tired of trying to sell and only getting offers like 10 bucks for 2 brand new cfr bosses.

I think it's the mods that make it tough. ;)

Buying local is best but for more rare discs this IS the place!

I use the marketplace a lot here, but it's not the end all be all of disc supply. I like having exact backups for everything I throw, so I order a lot of stuff online where I can choose exactly what I'm getting especially if you're going to make a larger purchase. The marketplace is nice if you have boutique plastic you're looking to sell, or are looking to pick up something up. It's also nice if you're wanting to try a new mold out and don't necessarily want to fork out the dough if you don't think you're gonna like it. Swap something for it, and if you don't like it you're at a smaller loss. If I have randoms sitting around that I can't move on the marketplace they end up at my local PIAS. My buddy knows discs, and he gets me as much trade in value as he can.

So it really all boils down to what you're looking for. Keep in mind that during the tournament season you'll have people selling off their merch winnings for cheap either wanting the cash or looking for paypal to get into next weekend's tournament.

you guys do know there is a search feature right? I see a lot of people saying they dont want to look through pages of stuff to find what they want.. just type in the name of said disc and hit enter.. poof . With that said im all about buying local too I just dont have anywhere thats not an hour + drive so MP is home for me :)

Confessed User Note:

What I've noticed is that, while still the best B/S/T forum, the Marketplace has lost diversity of offerings since going to a pay-to-play platform.

That is an interesting point and I have noticed that the deals are different and the types of discs are slightly different.