• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your Favorite Tourneys!

ocmichael22

Bogey Member
Hello Fellow disc golfers!
Just wanted to know what brings you to unsanctioned tournaments?
what do your favorite unsanctioned tourneys have?

thanks!

You pay $30, you get to pick out a custom stamped dx roc, and that is the only disc you get to use the entire tourney. Two rounds at an extremely wooded course. SUPER fun, because they set up things on each hole, one hole has multiple baskets, another swings back and forth about 50', and another has hula hoops hanging from some trees and you have to pass through two to putt out. Twister hole, you spin and stand on what you spun for your drive. Other holes have different obstacles, and others have circles painted on the ground, if you land in one of the circles on your drive, you're throwing 1 on your next shot. Every hole has something different about it, and there's two courses on site so you play each course once. Lots of fun.

For myself, the formula is the same as sanctioned tournaments. #1 factor is what course it's being held on---how much fun it is to play, how far away it is. #2 is where it fits on the calendar---my personal calendar, and how it fits in with other events I'm interested in. #3 is who else is going, and how many are likely to be in mydivision.

Players packs, payouts, and sideshows have no effect on my decision

As for format, I like the same standard competitive structure as a sanctioned event. An alternative format can be a big attraction or turnoff, depending on what's chosen. I'm not that much into team play; but if someone holds a match play event, I'll re-arrange my calendar to be there.

The Octoberfriz here in town is a 5 day tournament the first three days consist of pick your partner, moonlight doubles, and mixed doubles the last two are the main tournament two courses per day four courses total. swinging baskets, baskets at and below ground level, and between rows of hay bails are the norm as well as a few with bungee cords blocking the chains. ace pot, great disc and cash prizes but most importantly most fun wins

Last edited:
unsanctioned events

great food/kegs of mircobrew/live music/camping I really like the concept of teams with different formats like ryder cup. I think there is a group that currently manages multi state non sanctioned tournaments....mostly on private courses...(I think it's called Outlaws??) The best non-sanctioned tournament EVER is All Hallows Heave.......google it if you care:) Team play seems to be a lot more fun either way....I think the Collegiate Team Tournament will make it to ESPN faster than the top Pro Tourneys....imho

I won an event in 2012 at a private course. As the winner I will get to pick the location, format and participants for the 2013 event. I'm working on something really interesting.

For me it's kind of a hard choice. At first I was just going to say the 3 Par Infinity majors, the Bigfoot, Buddha Tree, and All Hallows Heave. And don't get me wrong, they are great tourneys with an awesome vibe, but I think I need to give my favorites to the 3 Newcastle Par Infinity majors, The Almond Blossom Classic, the Rabbits Foot, and the Harvest Classic. All of the Newcastle majors are private handicaped tourneys, so anyone has a chance of winning them. It's been wonderful for me to be accepted into thier group even though I live 6 hours away. I try to make it to as many of their tourneys as I can. Last year I took 3rd in 2 of thier tourneys in a row.

Latest posts