• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Youth, grow the sport

tom12003

Eagle Member
A buddy and I were playing a casual round and as we were approaching the 15th tee (which is near a playground) we ran into a 10-yr old kid with a red disc (a star Wraith that he found, no name). We struck up a conversation and asked him whose disc that was--he said he didn't know; Dickie said write your name on it with a sharpie and its yours; we then asked him if he's ever throw one--answer was no. So we invited him to play with us. His first throw was predictably bad; we gave him a few rudimentary tips and he was throwing one over par for each of the last 3 holes. Another dozen throws he'd be threatening par as he had a sweet natural release! He loved it and seemed to be bitten by discing.

We asked him if any of his friends ever played--response NO, we encouraged him to bring friends so we gave him another few discs. Whats going to happen in 3-4 years? I remember 7-10 years ago, when a similar thing happened and there are 3 local guys now on the pro National Tour.

Grow the sport by helping and encouraging kids.

A buddy and I were playing a casual round and as we were approaching the 15th tee (which is near a playground) we ran into a 10-yr old kid with a red disc (a star Wraith that he found, no name). We struck up a conversation and asked him whose disc that was--he said he didn't know; Dickie said write your name on it with a sharpie and its yours; we then asked him if he's ever throw one--answer was no. So we invited him to play with us. His first throw was predictably bad; we gave him a few rudimentary tips and he was throwing one over par for each of the last 3 holes. Another dozen throws he'd be threatening par as he had a sweet natural release! He loved it and seemed to be bitten by discing.

We asked him if any of his friends ever played--response NO, we encouraged him to bring friends so we gave him another few discs. Whats going to happen in 3-4 years? I remember 7-10 years ago, when a similar thing happened and there are 3 local guys now on the pro National Tour.

Grow the sport by helping and encouraging kids.

As a youth, do continue.

I couldn't possibly care less about growing "the sport" but I care about helping kids have some non-ass-widening-fun, so I have given away several hundreds of discs. Since I'm not concerned about the future of disc golf, or the potential professional frisbee careers of the people I meet, I am also free to give discs to older men and women, who are often interested in having more diverse exercise than walking around the park.

There is a short par two course not that far from me and I love to take my daughter and her friends there.

We sometimes run by play it again sports and I'll give them some money to pick a used disc, and then after they play they can give it back to me if they didn't like it or keep it to play next time.

Never had a kid give the disc back, and they almost always want to go again.

Only one with any issues is my daughter who has now played/ walked almost 20 courses lol.

There is a short par two course not that far from me and I love to take my daughter and her friends there.

We sometimes run by play it again sports and I'll give them some money to pick a used disc, and then after they play they can give it back to me if they didn't like it or keep it to play next time.

Never had a kid give the disc back, and they almost always want to go again.

Only one with any issues is my daughter who has now played/ walked almost 20 courses lol.

Ha ha. Your daughter the grizzled veteran. It's going to take more to impress her.

With that kind of experience, there is always the possibility that she will be overtaking dad eventually.

Ha ha. Your daughter the grizzled veteran. It's going to take more to impress her.

With that kind of experience, there is always the possibility that she will be overtaking dad eventually.

That is the hope! I won't be masters age until she's in college so I've got some more time on top. At 9 she's already a Polecat artist though.

I didn't learn that type of finesse until far far later.

keep it up! kids can be naturals because the don't know how not to be. give him some plastic!

Latest posts