3.745(based on 44 reviews)

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member

Join the discussion about Zebulon Community Park

From A to Zeb.
Pros:

Quick disclaimer: the review I wrote when I played here 3-4 months ago disappeared, aka user error, aka, I accidentally deleted it. So, this is now a shorter review based off of memory.
- Zebulon is a quality course. There is a lot to like here. It flows nicely through the park giving players a lot of fun layouts throughout the round.
- #2 & 3 are good starts to the round. Both through over a small creek, with it being more in play on #2.
- Good solid mix of doglegs, elevation, shorter and longer layouts. #5 is a fun layout with an OB creek running along the entire left side of the hole. #10 is a fun par 4. Second shot is a downhiller to the basket tucked off to the left.
- Excellent tee signs. Makes navigating the course easy even if you're not using a map.
- Friendly crowd. Everyone I came across on the course was great. Great representation of the local disc golf scene.
- More concise review. Having to write this a second time means I eliminated a lot of fluff. Maybe less IS more.
Cons:
Course is very compacted in spots, both with potential hole overlap and with other facets of the park.
- When course is crowded, watch for stray shots from other holes. Also, pay attention to other park goers meandering onto the course. The day I played, there were people hanging out on the fairways of two holes. Plus, had walkers crossing several others.
- Course feels like it needs another longer, tougher hole. #4 & 10 are both longer than 500 feet. There's only one other hole longer than 400. I feel like somewhere in the middle of the back 9, there needs to be one more hole with some serious bite.
- #18 is an interesting closing hole. I'll emphasize that's it's an interesting choice to be the final hole. Shoot, make #1 the new 18 and it ends on a far higher note.
Other:
I really liked Zebulon. It's a near doppelgänger for Kilborne in Charlotte. And, I like me some Kilborne.
- One of the best courses in the Triangle area. I haven't played them all. But I've played enough to know I like this one more than most.
- #14 - 16 are your only chances to really air it out and not worry about tight fairways. On #15, you do want to be semi-accurate as you'll be aiming for a basket in the woods.
- #17 would be a better closing hole than 18 as well. So, either mover all holes forward or backwards one hole and the course ends on a better note.
- Had good interactions with the locals I came across during my round. They were all friendly and willing to help a first-time player with advice & guidance. They all gave great impression of the local club.
- My original review was much longer. I still wanted to get a review done so I could show my appreciation and enjoyment of Zebulon. It's close to a being a must-play for anyone in the Triangle area.
Good review of Zebby! Especially after a few months. The last few years I lived in the Triangle, that was my closest course, a fun, but challenging course with its length. I've never reviewed it, but have always thought it is a 3.5-4 disc course.
One thing you may want to edit, the hole along the creek is #7, not #5, unless they've renumbered them again (more on that in a sec). Of course the challenging thing about that hole, is you have a left MANDO (to avoid the sidewalk) which has you throwing toward and over the creek.
When the course was first put in, they used the playground parking lot (and restrooms), so present #2 was #1 and so on. So, finishing on the current #18 was a challenging finishing hole, something I like in a layout.
Speaking of current #18, it used to be more challenging, the tee was up the hill to the left, just after the current tee. So you had a small tunnel through the trees, then a sharper hyzer to turn the corner, to the basket that was on the level ground.
I think the current #1 is a tough starting hole (reminds me of Kilborne! ;)), but its nice having the large parking lot, large area for the practice basket, and away from the kids! :)
One last thing, there has been talk of adding another ball field, in the open area where 14-16 are, luckily nothing has been done yet.
Keep the reviews up, I've been writing challenged lately.

Latest posts