• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Zee Swedish

I'd like to see him throw some more, and maybe put on a clinic. Oh, and in English.

Linus used to do the release videos for new Lat64 discs. There were quicktime videos for the Primitus, Mirus, Sinus and Medius where he just launched some serious bombs with them.

"Leave that young man alone, John. But if he starts wiggling his hips again, call the police."
I've had the police called on me a few times at the school down the street after hours. I explained I was practicing disc golf. "what?" Disc golf, "you mean that frisbee golf?", yes sir, frisbee golf.

I've had the police called on me a few times at the school down the street after hours. I explained I was practicing disc golf. "what?" Disc golf, "you mean that frisbee golf?", yes sir, frisbee golf.

I hear a Johnny Cash song queueing up in the background... He's crooning about Starkville!

I'd love to hear those calls into the cops.

Better send in the troops, we got a fella throwing stuff all over tarnation!

I hear a Johnny Cash song queueing up in the background... He's crooning about Starkville!

I'd love to hear those calls into the cops.

Better send in the troops, we got a fella throwing stuff all over tarnation!
Pretty sure the calls are coming from the NIMBY yuppy neighbors, probably threatening to sue the police if they don't do as they are told. :\

So far, the Presbyterian folk have stayed quiet about me using their parking lot like my personal training ground. We shall see.

The charge to 400' was difficult, but as I fixed things - big things like: nose angle, elbow extension, bracing, holding onto the disc, torque from the back ball of my foot - it unlocked that door.

The crawl to 500' is feeling very slow. May be a unicorn.

There seems to be 3 main ways to harness the raw power that you can generate with a hit. I would promote the hit as step 1 of 1 for improving distance - whether you're 10 years or 100.

(For those just joining us) The hit is the short window of time where your hand is on the disc rim, holding on as you sling the angular velocity you just created, forward. If the front of the disc (towards the basket) is 12:00, we're trying to hold onto the disc to 4:00.

So the wide rail: holy guacamole, this motion does something magical.

I'm still very much new to the wide rail, and I don't use it that often - but there's something about changing the arc to move it so that it's more around you, seriously... I just don't know why. I would love a discussion about it. I think it's easier to hold the disc later, and seems to generate a ton of late acceleration. Stand still mids to 340' with no real stress on my body. No wrenched neck.

Still a bit of a wildcard on where it's going. Big hyzers are a little easier to be accurate with.

The traditional hammering the disc forward is seemingly equal in the force it generates, but for me, it requires a stance that puts me over the disc a bit more at my right pec. Holding to the hit takes a bit more work as well.

This throw is probably the most common and for me, the easiest to be more accurate with. Perhaps that's because I have practiced it quite a bit and have a strong feeling for where the release point is.

With a champ tern, it's put me out to 450-460' with a fairly lazy x-step. It's distinctly more out front than the Wide Rail or Swedish.

The swedish.

So right outta the gate, this thing BOMBS.

Putters jumped out to 290-300' on nearly every drive.

I added about 25' with the same input momentum, but the following morning, I woke up with a stiff neck. I struggle with keeping my arm rigid without engaging muscles in my neck - and that motion seems to wrench muscles when I'm tightening up.

Hyzers are the go to release angle. The extra power flips up a normally stable disc and anything under stable is turning WAY over. Hyzer flip city.

I would love to work this style a bit more, but I'm not sure I can risk the injury.

Using your arm as one large lever with the hit happening at the end of it seems to boost the ejection speed. It's a cool style, just not sure I can work on it very much.

So I don't really think it's a "one is better than the other" but playing around with all of them is highly recommended.

After all, it's winter.

I'm still very much new to the wide rail, and I don't use it that often - but there's something about changing the arc to move it so that it's more around you, seriously... I just don't know why. I would love a discussion about it. I think it's easier to hold the disc later, and seems to generate a ton of late acceleration. Stand still mids to 340' with no real stress on my body. No wrenched neck.
It's just changing the angle and direction of the disc's throwing edge more/later, so the disc thinks/feels it's going much faster a la roller coaster effect. It's the opposite of rounding where the disc's throwing edge is already accelerating from the max reachback and never changes angle or acceleration direction.

The swedish.

So right outta the gate, this thing BOMBS.

Putters jumped out to 290-300' on nearly every drive.

I added about 25' with the same input momentum, but the following morning, I woke up with a stiff neck. I struggle with keeping my arm rigid without engaging muscles in my neck - and that motion seems to wrench muscles when I'm tightening up.

Hyzers are the go to release angle. The extra power flips up a normally stable disc and anything under stable is turning WAY over. Hyzer flip city.

I would love to work this style a bit more, but I'm not sure I can risk the injury.

Using your arm as one large lever with the hit happening at the end of it seems to boost the ejection speed. It's a cool style, just not sure I can work on it very much.

So I don't really think it's a "one is better than the other" but playing around with all of them is highly recommended.
I can see why you jacked your neck up on the other "Swedish" video. You pull your shoulder around open more than rotating forward more closed. You also bring the arm/disc in too close your body and lag the arm too far behind the shoulder(need to keep the arm wider and more taut to the shoulder like ball on rope). I don't consider Swedish technique to be exclusively straight arm, Brinster, GG, Linus and Jesper use a bent elbow. Swedish to me means vertical shoulders and a pendulum arm motion or reciprocating dinglearm. Feldy uses more of a double pendulum while Linus and Jesper use a triple pendulum. Straighter arm produces more speed and tends to flip more. More bent arm produces more spin as it changes the angle more. Swedish/pendulum motion is efficient to me, as it takes advantage of gravity.

It's just changing the angle and direction of the disc's throwing edge more/later, so the disc thinks/feels it's going much faster a la roller coaster effect. It's the opposite of rounding where the disc's throwing edge is already accelerating from the max reachback and never changes angle or acceleration direction.

I can see why you jacked your neck up on the other "Swedish" video. You pull your shoulder around open more than rotating forward more closed. You also bring the arm/disc in too close your body and lag the arm too far behind the shoulder(need to keep the arm wider and more taut to the shoulder like ball on rope). I don't consider Swedish technique to be exclusively straight arm, Brinster, GG, Linus and Jesper use a bent elbow. Swedish to me means vertical shoulders and a pendulum arm motion or reciprocating dinglearm. Feldy uses more of a double pendulum while Linus and Jesper use a triple pendulum. Straighter arm produces more speed and tends to flip more. More bent arm produces more spin as it changes the angle more. Swedish/pendulum motion is efficient to me, as it takes advantage of gravity.

Me9GDOb.jpg

"You pull your shoulder around open more than rotating forward more closed."

I can see that here. I'm dragging the disc in relation to the shoulders.

Dave's spine is tilted more foward, mine is more upright. It's tempting to want to continue down that path, but I think it might be wise to leave well-enough alone.

I guess I don't understand what Swedish means then. vertical shoulders in what respect? I get the idea of using a pendulum force timed to swing open at the hit, even with my timing off, I could feel that coming into play.

Driving the off arm forward adds into that pendulum, creating something to allow you engage your core/shoulder muscles against to increase the force coming into the height of pendulum.

Staying closed more would hopefully fix the neck strain, but for whatever reason - I have always had neck issues. I can sleep on my pillow wrong and wake up all messed up. Bad genetics I guess.

Dave's spine is tilted more foward, mine is more upright. It's tempting to want to continue down that path, but I think it might be wise to leave well-enough alone.

I guess I don't understand what Swedish means then. vertical shoulders in what respect? I get the idea of using a pendulum force timed to swing open at the hit, even with my timing off, I could feel that coming into play.

Driving the off arm forward adds into that pendulum, creating something to allow you engage your core/shoulder muscles against to increase the force coming into the height of pendulum.

Staying closed more would hopefully fix the neck strain, but for whatever reason - I have always had neck issues. I can sleep on my pillow wrong and wake up all messed up. Bad genetics I guess.
It's all related to you standing up out of tilt/compression and not pivoting the body through. From your reachback your head rises during the throw and you change the angle of everything. I'm not going to say keep your head down because your head is moving from your lack of proper bracing of the front side, but the head should stay fairly level from reachback to release which means you need to stay in tilt and compression and the head stays in rotation. Watch Brinster's head.

I have a bad neck as well.

I don't consider Swedish technique to be exclusively straight arm, Brinster, GG, Linus and Jesper use a bent elbow. Swedish to me means vertical shoulders and a pendulum arm motion or reciprocating dinglearm. Feldy uses more of a double pendulum while Linus and Jesper use a triple pendulum. Straighter arm produces more speed and tends to flip more. More bent arm produces more spin as it changes the angle more. Swedish/pendulum motion is efficient to me, as it takes advantage of gravity.

It seems to me that the Swedish technique implies both the vertical shoulders and a straight arm. While the American technique has horizontal shoulders and a bent arm.

I wish I remember the kid's name, but there's a Euro player with horizontal shoulders and a straight arm (but still reciprocal and dingly). He bombs. Mostly throws anhyzers, though.

It seems to me that the Swedish technique implies both the vertical shoulders and a straight arm. While the American technique has horizontal shoulders and a bent arm.

I wish I remember the kid's name, but there's a Euro player with horizontal shoulders and a straight arm (but still reciprocal and dingly). He bombs. Mostly throws anhyzers, though.
Thomas Ekstrom who Blake coined as the father of Swedish technique uses a bent elbow.

Seeing a top-down bird's eye view of professionals would be very helpful. I've noticed many styles and angles of attack, but keeping the shoulders parallel to the pull through line when the disc enters the power pocket is the key. Seeing how the elbow extends/makes way for the disc as it's pulled through in a straight line is where I have trouble though. I finally stopped rounding and opening my shoulders early, but my elbow doesn't know where to go once the disc is in front of me.

Then what is vertical? How can it be tilted spine w/ vertical shoulders?

Vertical means straight up and down.

Tilted is not straight up and down.
The rotation of the shoulder is more vertical. If you look at your pic above, Feldy's front shoulder is down, then up. Your front shoulder is up already, so there's no swinging the arm left from under the shoulder like a pendulum. You are rotating horizontally through impact and the shoulder rotates backward and shortens the arc.

On the reachback, right shoulder below and in line with the left shoulder (assuming RHBH) would require a tilted spine, correct? Am I getting this?

Latest posts