• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Zee Swedish

I can worm burn with my what I think is Ameriacan style just no follow though. It has to do with how low the disc comes out of my hand.

I use a combo of the two using the drive of the Swdish with the elbow spin of the American. This explains why worm burn and timing can come into my drives. Why I do not use a follow though at the end of shot.

I use a combo of the two using the drive of the Swdish with the elbow spin of the American. This explains why worm burn and timing can come into my drives. Why I do not use a follow though at the end of shot.

You have to follow through or else you will be decelerating as you release and will but a ton of unnecessary strain on your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Paige American or Swedish style? In this great slow motion of a flat or touch of hyzer flip shot, in her reachback she gets the front shoulder below to like a 30 degree tilt, but as soon as her plant foot is down her shoulders are dead flat.

Also, should the whole arm feel like one long unit in the forward swing? Like after approaching the power pocket, should the entire arm feel long and loose to sling the disc? Or should the upper arm and torso unit move forward and then the forearm leverages the disc out through the hit? Or is this the difference in feeling between the two techniques?

https://youtu.be/TSk6lte4bWw?t=379

Also, should the whole arm feel like one long unit in the forward swing? Like after approaching the power pocket, should the entire arm feel long and loose to sling the disc? Or should the upper arm and torso unit move forward and then the forearm leverages the disc out through the hit? Or is this the difference in feeling between the two techniques?

Blake_T wrote about the golden spiral and either him or Bradley Walker wrote about increasing the radius of the arc to the hit. So I would think the American is this...the upper arm and torso unit move forward and then the forearm leverages the disc out through the hit... and the Swedish this...the entire arm feels long and loose to sling the disc.

Is Paige American or Swedish style? In this great slow motion of a flat or touch of hyzer flip shot, in her reachback she gets the front shoulder below to like a 30 degree tilt, but as soon as her plant foot is down her shoulders are dead flat.

I'd say Paige is a hybrid. IMO you basically described the difference between them, the first being Swedish and second American.

IMO it gets a little weird classifying things in Swedish vs American, it's like classifying a catapult(Swedish) vs a trebuchet(American), a trebuchet is a type of catapult. Another example(also not exactly correct in context) might be a recurve bow(Swedish) vs a compound bow(American), where the compound bow accelerates the lower arm faster through the use of pulleys, but the disc speed/ejection force might be the same in the end or possibly less(however in reality most compound bows shoot much faster, but as human catapults/trebuchets and bows our mechanical advantages of these systems are much more limited and result in more in tradeoffs between them more so than one being significantly better than the other).

Cool, I'd often wondered why when I throw very vertical spike hyzers at 50-70% I felt way different. Now as my balance is getting better I have really felt the difference between that arm sling vs. forearm uncoil on all shot angles. When I drop my front shoulder under my chin a little more during backswing I can then have a long arm slinging feeling, but I don't know if my timing is right yet for gassing the shot through the hit like it is in the American/uncoil type of shot. It seems that rear leg counter is very important to get leverage for that long arm sling feeling.

Anyways, this is great as I am finally understanding the difference between the styles a little more and have finally felt it in a reproducible way. Rather, that it's not "right/wrong" when I feel one or the other, but that I can keep refining what I am doing and see what ends up working out better for me as I fix things.

red_swedishfish.png

The recurve/compound bow analogy is what came to mind for me also. I have trouble getting my pulleys to work for the American style but the Swedish seems to take a lot of that trouble out for me. Although maybe a better analogy would be atlatl (Swedish) vs compound bow (American). :\

You have to follow through or else you will be decelerating as you release and will but a ton of unnecessary strain on your body.

The release has always hurt a little bit. No clue why. :confused:

No deceleration at the release, that is the max of my throw. I just stop somehow right after the throw. :confused: again.

Last edited:
What do you think Putter pants? He seems to meet a lot of the characteristics until the pull through being pretty high. I don't know that I would personally call him largely Swedish style but seems to have used some of those elements for his throw. But I want a few more opinions.

What do you think Putter pants? He seems to meet a lot of the characteristics until the pull through being pretty high. I don't know that I would personally call him largely Swedish style but seems to have used some of those elements for his throw. But I want a few more opinions.

Very Swedish Meatball

This may be a silly question, but with the shoulders rotating more vertical doesn't that always result in a hyzer release? can this method of throwing even be used to throw a pure anyzer? or does that shot just rely on flipping a disc over?

This may be a silly question, but with the shoulders rotating more vertical doesn't that always result in a hyzer release? can this method of throwing even be used to throw a pure anyzer? or does that shot just rely on flipping a disc over?
Ekstrom is considered the father of Swedish:

That's a fantastic video (the 4 frame part) to show how head tilt can help balance as well. The guy on the right (and EKstrom to a lesser degree) keeps his chin leading the shot instead of the head tilting over the top like the two guys in the middle and you can see how much more balanced he is.

Shawn Clement's recent video had me thinking about that.

That's a fantastic video (the 4 frame part) to show how head tilt can help balance as well. The guy on the right (and EKstrom to a lesser degree) keeps his chin leading the shot instead of the head tilting over the top like the two guys in the middle and you can see how much more balanced he is.

Shawn Clement's recent video had me thinking about that.
Guy on the right is Christian Sandstrom former distance record holder. He is also rolling his wrist over to throw anhyzer from hyzer form which is natural head tilt for golf or hyzer. The two middle guys are throwing pure anhzyers and their head tilt matches the swing plane and shoulders in follow through.