• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Shark + Aero = Heaven

Clark

Par Member
Today I went out with three discs:

180g DX Aero
165g DX Shark
166g DX Valkyrie

And I scored my best round yet. I was playing Research Park, which is not too technical, but the control I got with the Shark and Aero was phenomenal. The Shark wasn't fading at all like my friend's older model was. Mine is new.

I don't have a super-stable driver, and I think it would compliment my Shark/Aero duo nicely.

My questions for everyone:
-Will the Shark fade more as it gets worn in?
-What driver should I get in the Speed 7-9 range to round out this pair?
-Do you ever go out with just three discs, and what do you take?

My Shark is as reliable as always. It is Champ Plastic and very well used. As mine has aged it has began to fade slightly but is also a great turn over disc if you spin it up a little.

The Leopard would be a great compliment to what you have there for a stable driver in the 7-9 range.

I have not done just 3 discs in a while but for me would be Aero, Shark, and Wraith. Under certain conditions it might be Aero, Cro, and Valkyrie. It would depend on the course.

-Will the Shark fade more as it gets worn in? No, it will fade less. This is a universal disc golf law.

-What driver should I get in the Speed 7-9 range to round out this pair? I say Teebird. Valks and Vikings, etc. might be too fast for you, I don't know you. But if you are getting good use out of an Aero you are either finesse master or a noodle armed n00b. Don't feel bad, we all started this way. :)

-Do you ever go out with just three discs, and what do you take? We have oodles of threads on this very subject, kudos for being like minded. Personally, I'd rock a Surge, a Nebula, and a Soft Banger GT.

And if no one has yet, welcome to the forums amigo!

Kinda depends on how much distance/control you got from your Valk, how far can you throw it straight? I personally believe that less is more, if you find a hole in your bag look at what your current discs are lacking and if you cant make them work for that specific shot then ad a disc with the desired speed/fade/glide what ever. If you are a beginner you should not throw a faster disc then the Valk, maybe something slower would work better for you? Like i said, kinda depends on how big an arm and how much controll you have.

Last edited:
O i forgot the three discs... I often just do rounds with two rocs and a Sinus.SP, really learning the discs you have and working on your form will benefit your game more then any new disc can.

the leopard is a great disc! but not a great choice for a stable driver. i would recommend a gazelle or eagle.

Leopard can be whatever you want it to be.

Sure, its not as epic as a Polecat but more legit.

1. Nope. It will begin to fade less or start turning over. It will hold the flight characteristics much longer if you have Champ or Star, but it may not fly the same out of the box. If it was heavier it would fade more as well. All of this can generally be applied to all other discs as well.

2. I would highly suggest a Teebird or Eagle-X. Simply magnificent fairways, capable of monster D once you have a good arm/form.

3. When I take three discs:
*** 174g Organic Medium Voodoo
*** 178g CryZtal Z Buzzz
*** 170g Champion Teebird or 174g Elite Z Predator if I plan on throwing forehand

On a side note:
If you really like the Aero you should consider picking up some Champ or Star ones. By disc terms, it is ancient, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go out of production before too much longer. The day I hear that it is imanent, I'll be buying as many 180g Champ/Stars as I can get my hands on. I love that disc for (very) casual rounds.

get a teebird

qft

and just to reiterate what others have said, no the shark will not fade more with time. every disc becomes more understable as it beats in.

i love the teebird for a stable fairway driver. work with one of these for awhile and eventually you should be able to get it to hit any line: super straight, nice hyzers or gentle annies.

and three disc round for me is a teebird, drone or buzz and an xd.

Another disc for that line up, in order of preference: Gazelle, Eagle-X, Teebird. Teebird is the most distance, Gazelle is the most versatile, Eagle is really a balance of the two.

My 3 discs rounds are a Magic SSS, DX Roc, and a DX Gazelle. Maybe an Eagle instead of the Gazelle if the course is long.

Last edited:
The Shark wasn't fading at all like my friend's older model was. Mine is new.

What was the plastic and weight of your friends? I threw a 168 DX Shark for a while and noticed little fade as well, more when I went heavier.

Thanks!

But if you are getting good use out of an Aero you are either finesse master or a noodle armed n00b. Don't feel bad, we all started this way. :)

I was using both the Shark and Aero for finesse shots. The Shark was giving me wonderful straight lines out to about 200', and the Aero was filling in for everything under 125' or so. I wasn't using it off the tee, and I can flip it over if I power it, so that's why I threw the Shark at the slightly greater ranges.

Kinda depends on how much distance/control you got from your Valk, how far can you throw it straight?

I can throw the Valkyrie 250'-275' accurately, and up to 300'-310' with good wind and full power.

What was the plastic and weight of your friends? I threw a 168 DX Shark for a while and noticed little fade as well, more when I went heavier.

His Shark might have been 167, I don't remember. It was DX plastic. I know it was more worn than mine and fading much more. It might have been his form or the flight path. My shots were straight and fast all the way to the landing point while his were slowing and falling out of the sky with fade.

Thanks all! I had been eying the Teebird, and it looks to be a fairly consistent suggestion. I'm not sure about the TL, since I don't really want to shell out for Star Plastic. It's probably worth it in the long run though. We'll see what the SO has to say when the time comes!

Last edited:

180g DX Aero
165g DX Shark
166g DX Valkyrie

And I scored my best round yet. I was playing Research Park, which is not too technical, but the control I got with the Shark and Aero was phenomenal. The Shark wasn't fading at all like my friend's older model was. Mine is new.

I don't have a super-stable driver, and I think it would compliment my Shark/Aero duo nicely.

Research Park...in College Station? I was out there yesterday as well! I would recommend a DX Gazelle or ESP/X Cyclone, just easier to power in your distance range than the Teebird; just give it some time to break in a bit. Even once you develop more distance the Gazelle will be a very useful driver. I was in Play it again yesterday and they had one blue Gazelle left...

If I played 3 discs at Research, I would go Rhyno, Buzzz, ESP Cyclone.

Research Park...in College Station? I was out there yesterday as well! I would recommend a DX Gazelle or ESP/X Cyclone, just easier to power in your distance range than the Teebird; just give it some time to break in a bit. Even once you develop more distance the Gazelle will be a very useful driver. I was in Play it again yesterday and they had one blue Gazelle left...

If I played 3 discs at Research, I would go Rhyno, Buzzz, ESP Cyclone.

Yesterday was such a great break from the wind. Still a bit wet, but perfect to play for December!

If you are getting 250'-275', a Teebird would work fine for you. I still say Leopard though, but best to get both. :)