• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Soaking in water

KniceZ

Double Eagle Member
I recently found a couple discs in the water when I went wading in for one of mine. :eek: :eek:

I was wondering, what happens (if anything) to the flight charateristics or durability of a disc that's been in the water for a long time.

DX type plastic will also soak up some moisture and tend to reek after they dry out :(

All plastic is hygroscopic, which means it soaks up water. Depending on plastic type and length underwater, a disc can take on several grams of water. When removed from the water it will start to dry out and lose the extra grams. ESP Nukes soak up so much water they feel like a sponge! I had one that was only in the water for a month or so, and when I got it back it was so soft I put my finger though the flightplate.

Yeah discs from the pond are always my favorite. Although, its hard to tell if they feel more seasoned from being in the water, or from previous owners usage. I usually soak my pond finds in a bucket of bleach water then let sit in the sun.

Finds:
My own DX beast that was in the water for maybe a month.
ProD Buzzz, may have been orange but is REALLY faded
DX Eagle - blue

I have a FLX Buzzz but like the gummy feel of the ProD. Haven't thrown it enough yet to compare stability.

Jrawk - some time ago I saw an orange disc in the water next to hole 4 - was that Prerube's? I wouldn't expect him to throw an Avenger on that hole?? Besides, it's since been swallowed up by the water lillies and I wasn't wading out that far.

Finds:
My own DX beast that was in the water for maybe a month.
ProD Buzzz, may have been orange but is REALLY faded
DX Eagle - blue

I have a FLX Buzzz but like the gummy feel of the ProD. Haven't thrown it enough yet to compare stability.

Jrawk - some time ago I saw an orange disc in the water next to hole 4 - was that Prerube's? I wouldn't expect him to throw an Avenger on that hole?? Besides, it's since been swallowed up by the water lillies and I wasn't wading out that far.

I was experimenting with the Avenger SS. I just bought it and had never thrown one. DUMB choice, but I left my heavy leopard at home. I lost a ProD Buzzz, but I do not think my name was on it and I threw it because it was slightly warped.

DX type plastic will also soak up some moisture and tend to reek after they dry out :(

I've had the same experience with champion. One time I went in for a disc in a nasty-a** pond and found an 11x TeeBird in bad condition, it also smelled like chit so I just threw it back in. Honestly a 6/10 at best.

Prerube - did you loose the Buzzz on hole 4? If you think it's your - let me know when you're in Dahlgren or Fredericksburg and hopefully I can get it back to you. I'm going to try to go the Hawk Hallow meet end of Sept, if we don't connect before that.