• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What dyes do work for dyeing

Buchajs1

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Wanting to do my first dye wondering what dyes I can use that will work and I can buy in my local retail store. It's much better than paying 5 dollars for shipping

iDYE poly. Some rit works but its hit or miss. need to find older rit to dye with. iye poly is great limited colors but dyes really well.

Most RIT dye will work except for the liquids. If buying liquid RIT, bottles with ND stamped on the cap will not work. The powder colors that may not work are pearl grey, cherry red, royal blue, petal pink, and fuschia. There are a few bad batches of black out there too but most of it should work.

Most RIT dye will work except for the liquids. If buying liquid RIT, bottles with ND stamped on the cap will not work. The powder colors that may not work are pearl grey, cherry red, royal blue, petal pink, and fuschia. There are a few bad batches of black out there too but most of it should work.

I just confirmed with RIT that those are still the only powders that have been converted to the new formula so everything else should still be good.

I just mix up some powdered RIT and boil it. Then Tape up my disc a pop it in. Works good on Pro and Champ. I haven't even tried DX bc of what everyone says.

I just confirmed with RIT that those are still the only powders that have been converted to the new formula so everything else should still be good.

I used petal pink on one of my last dyes and it worked fine. I actually dyed pink panther on a pink disc.

So black powdered RIT (no matter the batch number), should work?

I-dye poly works like you wouldn't believe. Find the nearest Joanne's and go get some. No bleeding or settling of the dyes over time, no transfer to other discs in my bags. I put a red stenciled dye on a fairly-dark blue elite z drone, and it actually took a deep, vivid red, it looks sick when you hold it up to the sun and look through. The following information is all contained somewhere in the treasure-load of threads on DGCR, but I've summarized some basic I-dye related info for you.

Thanks to those who made this information so accessible to the dgcr community!!!

32oz. of near boiling water with the packet of dye makes a great concentrate, buy some mason jars to store the concentrates. I have yet to use the thickening agent. Fill a disc-sized pan with water then add 4-5 tablespoons of that dye concentrate and you're ready to roll, lighter colors take longer to dye. I usually just take the disc out every few minutes, rinse it in the sink and check the colors.

The only real drawback is that a pan full of I-dye poly gives off some seriously strong smelling vapors when the heat goes up... When I am dyeing, all the windows are open; ventilation should be a top concern in my opinion.

Now go grip some I-dye poly and get to work.

My local Joanne's, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby all have some (mostly new formula) RIT and some i-dye, but not the poly stuff. I ordered some I-dye Poly directly from the company online since no one stocks it nearby.

what is the mix formula for powders? is there anything to look for on the powder boxes that indicate if it will work or not?

With the powder boxes, I look for batch numbers ending in 10 or less. You can open the box and see if "ND" is stamped on the bag next to the color name.

Latest posts