• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Δ in Altitude/Temp/Humidity Make Discs Fly _____ ?

And real world limitations mean that many flat landers cannot get to the site to practice far enough in advance to get acclimatized to the thin air and then adjusting for the shots. I don't know but i imagine that it is easier to acclimatize going down from the mountains to sea level than vice versa so going down means more days adjusting for flight differences.

Good discussions, I like to hear from Chuck even when I don't agree with him.

Anyways, I think PDGA might not have the luxury of saying no to a bid from Tahoe, time will tell...of course they could always have yet another Worlds in Indiana again, as an alternative to Tahoe (3X in a decade vs once in a lifetime).

The IDGC/Augusta is now far enough along to be the backup Pro Worlds location at any time the Board either doesn't get a bid or is not satisfied with what they've received.

Chuck Kennedy said:
It's not the same thing. Everyone has occasionally played in bad weather and everyone at Worlds would be on an equal basis for scrambling in those conditions. Most players have never played at a higher altitude where their discs act differently nor can they simulate that where they live to practice for the event.
How is it that those who live at higher altitudes practice for the events held at sea level?

Simply numbers. More players, courses and tournaments at elevations below 5000 feet. So if you want to practice, those lower elevation locations and events are significantly more accessible and frequent than the reverse. Similar reason we haven't had a Worlds in say Antartica or during winter, not enough opportunity to practice because you can't easily simulate the environment in a wide enough number of locations.

What'shisname I touched that earlier with the speed of getting adjusted to different air density. It is easier to go down than up. Besides most events happen down low so those that travel need to play down low at other times when flat landers could go through a life time career never going up. Not many can afford taking extra days off just to get used to the thin air and then the course and how the discs fly vs people from the mountains getting right to the course and throwing missing fewer days from work.

Chuck Kennedy said:
The IDGC/Augusta is now far enough along to be the backup Pro Worlds location at any time the Board either doesn't get a bid or is not satisfied with what they've received.

For 2011, nobody submitted a bid. For 2013, back to Indiana owing to a dearth of bids. So you're telling me that the PDGA's reaction to clubs not willing to bid/host worlds is to say "oh well we'll just host it at IDGC if we don't like your bid." Wow. Seems like a big step backward.

JR said:
...Not many can afford taking extra days off just to get used to the thin air and then the course and how the discs fly vs people from the mountains getting right to the course and throwing missing fewer days from work.

Is your concern that a Tahoe Worlds would not sell out? I could see if this were Indiana or IDGC. But a Tahoe Worlds...that will sell out fast! We have so many tournament players in this region, even if flatlanders decided not to come at all, it would still fill up (after the invite-only period expires).

IDGC wasn't ready to host Pro Worlds yet for 2011 and 2013 unless they absolutely had to. Now they are ready as a backup. They already have done the US Masters and PDGA Championships. Worlds is next in line sometime down the road. They may do it even if they have quality bids. One of the original promises to Columbia County for financing our HQ building and providing land for courses was to bring big events to the complex and County as it got completed. The County has also been gradually developing hospitality services closer to the IDGC and will soon have sufficient lodging and food services to handle World scale events much closer than when the IDGC first got underway.

Chuck Kennedy said:
IDGC wasn't ready to host Pro Worlds yet for 2011 and 2013 unless they absolutely had to. Now they are ready as a backup...

Good to have a back-up plan, but tragic for PDGA if it is actually needed as such. My point was that it isn't a potential crisis, it is a crisis that is already occurring. Does the board ever think about why many clubs don't submit bids, and how to fix that? Or did the hands get thrown up in the air such that the focus is instead on contraction/consolidation?

The model for the PDGA supporting Worlds has been changing but a lot of clubs haven't gotten the message that hosting Pro Worlds isn't the financial burden it has been in the past. In addition, Brian's work with CVBs is paying off with many of them tyring to figure out who among the local disc golf movers and shakers they need to work with to produce bids for major events including either Worlds. So I'm not sure it's the problem it has been. If anything, finding locations and clubs who want to handle the huge fields that might want to enter Am Worlds will become a problem unless it's capped like this year.

Chuck Kennedy said:
The model for the PDGA supporting Worlds has been changing but a lot of clubs haven't gotten the message that hosting Pro Worlds isn't the financial burden it has been in the past...

Raising sponsorships and finances is the easy part, every disc golf sponsor wants to be a part of it, some even have to be turned away.

Throwing much of the rest of your life away for a year to prepare the courses is the hard part, although I suppose this is less of an issue for places that host often.

JHern said:
Is your concern that a Tahoe Worlds would not sell out? I could see if this were Indiana or IDGC. But a Tahoe Worlds...that will sell out fast! We have so many tournament players in this region, even if flatlanders decided not to come at all, it would still fill up (after the invite-only period expires).

No i'm thinking of the practical civil life concerns of flat landers moving up needing more days to get into competition form due to the need to acclimatize first for some days and only then being able to start training to get familiar with how the discs fly differently then practicing the holes.

Latest posts