• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1 round 2 discs, what would you throw?

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
You're playing an 18 hole round and you can only use 2 discs.

What would you throw?

Would there be any certain shots that would give you trouble with this setup?

How well do you think you'd score compared to a typical round with your full rig?

I'd pick my seasoned 173g SS Wizard and a 175g champ or star leopard. My wizard could handle left, right or straight putting, upshots and driving easily for me, and works well enough as a midrange too. The Leopard is a great driver, very accurate and assuming there's no headwinds I can push it out to ~380 consistently. Can go left, straight or right for me, though throwing a 400+ foot sweeping hyzer wouldn't be the easiest. Still, when it comes to consistent driving, the Leopard has been my disc for some time.

Trouble shots?

Driving for distance in a strong headwind would require a some hyzer. Don't know how well I'd do trying to push the Leopard past 400' into a 20mph headwind, hahah.

If I was facing an under 300' shot on a heavily wooded hole, I'd appreciate having my Evo Wizard in case I drill a tree.

I think I'd do pretty close to my full bag scores. Some shots I'd feel more confident with a Teebird, but I could make do with the Leopard, especially at 175g. I don't think I'd miss my Buzz or FB much though.

Next time you play your home course give your selection a try and come back with your results! I will.

You're playing an 18 hole round and you can only use 2 discs.

What would you throw?
Would there be any certain shots that would give you trouble with this setup?
How well do you think you'd score compared to a typical round with your full rig?

If I could only pick 2 discs to play with for a round at one of my local courses.. it would probably be my Champ Teebird (167g) and an organic Wizard (175g). The Teebird would help me with some of the longer distance shots, and the wizard would be used for all upshots/short drives/putts.

My main trouble would come in the form of Anhyzer shots in general. I am a newer player (rhbh thrower) and still have some trouble with my turnover shots. I suposse with a Teebird/Wizard combo, I could turn the putter over - or try to flick the Teebird to get the same result!

My score would be around the same with just the two discs after a few rounds of getting into the midset that I only have 2 discs to play with. This would be a GREAT exercise to really understand your plastic.

Good idea Mike C

With only two discs, I think I would pick a mid that I also could putt fairly well with, I'd go for a Champion Coyote, which also has great distance potential for being a mid, so it would suit well for a lot of shots. To that I would add a Z Avenger, for everything else.

The score at 18 holes would probably be just about the same as with the 10 discs I use today. No more than 2 extra throws.

Hmmm. Probably my P2 putter for putting and upshots, and my P-Craze for everything else. It reminds me of a faster Star TL at the moment, I can manipulate it to do various lines.

7 replies, 6 picked Wizards. Luckily I'm getting two when the DGR PDs arrive.

177 ESP Buzzz and 166 ESP Surge.....I supppose the buzzz could be exchanged for my focus.

The lighter surge can be used in just about any sitch as long as the wind is not intolerable.

Buzzzes are Buzzzes!

for most of the courses around my area I'd take a roc and a wizard. but I might consider a TB in place of the roc.

Interesting choices. Course selection would affect my choice too. If I was playing a small, 9 hole course, I'd probably just go with a buzzz and wizard, or wizard x2. My hometown course has some 400 feet holes and one 600+ feet, and is pretty wide open. There are some right turn drives, which is one reason I chose the Leopard over the Teebird.

Seems most people feel confident with their selection too. I'm going to go play my hometown course with my choice today and see how I do.

Tossin' in Memphis said:
177 ESP Buzzz and 166 ESP Surge.....

Nice avatar! I have the vinyl of that album hanging up in my room :)

174 Soft Wizard and 175 Star Eagle-X.

To really play well on all shots I would have to use my neglected forehand. The SEX will handle all the left, right (FH), overhand and it skips as well.
The wizard is one of the best approaching putters; I use it more than my mids anyway.
Never without both in my bag.

Latest posts