• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

150 Lovers

All the Teebirds will do it but the Champ and especially the Star will do it more easily.
Star is probably what you'd be happiest with.

Bag update, all 150 of course:
DX Polecats- main putter and most upshots.
DX Rhynos- fills in where Polecats need help.
DX, KC, Champ Rocs- I rarely ever use the KC or Champ. Probably only thrown them 2 times each at the course.
DX, Champ, Star Leos- buttery goodness but mostly in the woods. I like Leos a lot but they really don't get used that much. Its usually Roc or TB.
DX, Champ, Star Teebirds-buttery goodness in or out of the woods
M,QOLFs- I love these things, especially the QOLFs.
Champ Firebird- Pig.

I could whittle it down to Polecats, Rocs, TBs and still feel relatively comfortable. I'd have various examples of each mold of course.

We've been bringing dozens of these to our local area High School demo's...

I'm posting some love for the 150 (New) Warrior. Handles wind well, will fade everytime. Can throw this thing 280 on a rope with a smooth throw. Fairly nice glide too...

yup!

After thoroughly testing the Champ, DX, and star Valks I think the Star is a better fit for my preferences; it has slightly more HSS, slightly more LSS, more glide, and better grip. But really- either Champ or Star is great.

I got a 154 gram Star Roadrunner from GGGT. I didn't know they made them that light. Mine has a bunch of sunken sections on the wing so I think the light weight came from a large cavity inside the disc.

ANWAYS-

It is a hoot-and-a-holler. I am consistently surprised by the HSS of this disc; easily more HSS than my Valks. Probably closer to my beat DX Teebirds. I also noticed this disc appears to roll smoother than most of my other discs, FH or BH. I have no idea why that is. It is particularly fun to give it a little pop and watch it sail lazer straight for 300'. Never gets above 5' off the ground. Fun stuff!

Hey all, looks like I am a latecomer to the 150 lover wagon but...

I just picked up a 150 flick, and I have to say that it is my new favorite disc. I drive sidearm, and that disc wont even pretend to utrnover because of the extra snap. I have been having a hard time with disks getting flippy as my FH form improves, and the 150 flick is the answer! I threw a 150 dragon (shudder) reasonably far, but that disc was soooo inconsistent and understable, so I figured the 150 flick was right up my alley.

I am thinking about switching my bag (or handful rather, I am a fan of using 3-5 discs for everything) to all 150 class . I have a noodley noodle arm and 150s are much easier for me to get good D and accuracy out of if my form is right on. I find that throwing 150s is good for one's form as well...

What discs would you all reccommend? I'm a southpaw, primarily drive LHFH, but ill throw LHBH if I need a right curving shot. I approach FH and BH depending on the line needed, and I putt backhand. So far my fave discs have been 169 leo and a heavy champ beast for BH, 169 pro wraith and 165 teebird for forhand, and 174 dx gator/pro rhyno/d magnet for approach and putting, rhyno being by fave...

Should I stick with the 174s for or could I benefit from something lighter (I never make ANY longer putts...)
I'd like a 150 Orion LF, but would it overlap too much with the flick?

Thanks a ton for any advice you all could offer!

Short bio-
I average 360-ish on my BH drives. I am throwing more rollers recently (BH and FH), I don't do too many OH shots and I am tring to learn how to FH but not pursuing that real aggresively right now; maybe after the rollers.
My core bag is Polecats, Rocs, Leopards, Teebirds, Firebirds, OLFs. I'll carry some others depending on the course.

Discs-
Here's a good selection of 150 discs.
Putters-
Putters are good in 150. If you know how to play the wind then you shouldn't have any problems with them. My make range extended a little after the switch but I had to re-calibrate my drop rates on my apex putting.
If you are looking for an overstable putter then the Rhyno is the best I've found.
Neutral putters are abundant but I personally liked the DX Aviar P'n'A the best. The Magnet is probably pretty good, too, but I haven't tried it yet.
Understables are pretty easy to find, too.

Mids-
I've only tried the Roc and the Shark. The Roc is everything I need it to be. Get the good ol' cheap DX Rocs and cycle them. New ones are plenty beefy, no need to look for Champ Rocs or KC Pros. There are other midrange choices out there but not as many as I would like. Hoey says the new mold Gateway Warrior is good and I am tempted to check that out. Maybe later. I got an ESP ultralight Buzzz (125 grams) from GGGT for $4. The plastic feels FABULOUS- nice and stiff. That's the nicest thing I can say about it. Super super domey and very understable- not very Buzzzish. It's not bad for an understable disc but that's not the slot I was hoping it would fill.

Drivers- There are waaay too many good ones to go into much detail. My favorites?
Fairway drivers- Star Leopard, Champ Teebird, Champ Eagle X
Distance drivers- Star Roadrunner, Star Valk, QOLF, Champ Firebird, DX Wraith, R-Pro Boss (←I can't believe I just said those last two)

I really like the QOLF (and to a lesser extent the MOLF). There is an excellent mix of distance, control, and stability for my style. Highly recommended.

I recently put some max weight stuff in the bag but I only use them for rollers. I'll usually a bring a Leo, a Firebird, and a Boss. 150s slow down too easily in the grass. Sometimes that's a good thing, other times it isn't.

If you have any other question feel free to ask.

Ok, I'm working on an all 150 bag and I waded through the whole thread again and have a couple of questions.

1) Is there a reason I see everyone flocking to the QOLF in this thread over the SOLF? I usually like the S in high weight stuff, wondering if I need to convert.

2) Anyone try the DX Gator? Any other overstable mid?

3) DX Viking?

4) Also, I'm looking for something to take the understable mid spot until I beat in a Roc. Something Z Comet-like preferably. I saw the Squall recommended earlier. Is that still the closest? Star or DX Skeeter perhaps?

1) 150 QOLF is nice & gummy, where 150 SOLF is stiff.
2) 150 Gator is nice. 150 Whippet is very nice. 150 Speed Demon is extremely nice.
3) Never thrown, but 150 Champ Viking is my go-to glow driver. Nice hyzer flip-to-straight w/ TONS of glide. Very long & accurate.
4) 150 DX Goblin or, if you want even flippier, 150 STAR Goblin. 150 Skeeter is a little sketchy for me. 150 Stingray or Cobra would also do you.

NoLifeLeft said:
Ok, I'm working on an all 150 bag and I waded through the whole thread again and have a couple of questions.

1) Is there a reason I see everyone flocking to the QOLF in this thread over the SOLF? I usually like the S in high weight stuff, wondering if I need to convert.

2) Anyone try the DX Gator? Any other overstable mid?

3) DX Viking?

4) Also, I'm looking for something to take the understable mid spot until I beat in a Roc. Something Z Comet-like preferably. I saw the Squall recommended earlier. Is that still the closest? Star or DX Skeeter perhaps?

1) I have never used the SOLF. The QOLF is $2 cheaper, I tried it first, I really liked it. Maybe someday I'll get around to the SOLF.

2) New Rocs have been overstable enough for my midrange shots. If I need more overstability I use a fairway driver. Again, I will probably eventually try something more overstable but that is pretty low on my list right now.

3) Nope, no Vikings. But they intrigue me. If I could easily find a supply of 150 Champs then I would probably try them out. Right now the Star Valk is awesome for that slot. Newer ones for that extra bit of wind resistance, older ones for shaped lines. Star Valks BOMB for me. I hit 400' pretty regularly with them when my form clicks. Champs are only a few steps shorter.

4) Again I haven't tried anything. I have a beat Roc. Before I had that beat Roc I forced a newer one to approximate the line I needed or I threw a putter. More than a couple times I have almost ordered a Cobra; the profile is very similar to a Roc, just shallower. Recently I have been using a worn DX Leopard for understable mid shots. It does the job but I still might order that Cobra. Be warned: Champ Stingrays are much more HSS than you probably want. I have a 150 Champ that flies just like a Comet with less glide.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

marmoset said:
3) Star Valks BOMB.

Indeed they do. It's actually the disc that got me wanting to try an all 150 bag.

marmoset said:
4) Again I haven't tried anything. I have a beat Roc. Before I had that beat Roc I forced a newer one to approximate the line I needed or I threw a putter. More than a couple times I have almost ordered a Cobra; the profile is very similar to a Roc, just shallower. Recently I have been using a worn DX Leopard for understable mid shots. It does the job but I still might order that Cobra. Be warned: Champ Stingrays are much more HSS than you probably want. I have a 150 Champ that flies just like a Comet with less glide.

My local course has a lot of good places to get jammed up behind trees where the only way out is to flick an anny with a disc that will hold it all of the way to the ground. So, yeah, I'm looking for something quite understable just for those rare but all too important instances. Eventually a beat-to-hell Roc will fill that spot, but until then.... :?

The other issue right now is that I've been throwing almost entirely Discraft for a while. Discraft = not a lot of 150 class. So now I'll be visiting a bunch of Innova molds I've never paid attention to previously.

To answer nolifeleft:

I throw both solf and qolf. I find the solf a bit longer but I prefer the grip and dome of the qolf. I threw a 150 qolf and really liked it. That might be the best of both.

NoLifeLeft said:
My local course has a lot of good places to get jammed up behind trees where the only way out is to flick an anny with a disc that will hold it all of the way to the ground. So, yeah, I'm looking for something quite understable just for those rare but all too important instances. Eventually a beat-to-hell Roc will fill that spot, but until then.... :?
Is it Sherando? I've played that course... I remember a few holes; fun times. Anyway, if you are looking for something really understable then I would suggest a DX Stingray and beat it a little. Even though mine has only a little wear I can't keep it straight unless I am throwing 150' or less. But that's the old San Marino mold, not the new WWW mold. The new mold has a teenytiny bead and I hear it starts out a little more overstable than usual. Hopefully soon I will get a new Stingray and Cobra to fiddle with.

NoLifeLeft said:
The other issue right now is that I've been throwing almost entirely Discraft for a while. Discraft = not a lot of 150 class. So now I'll be visiting a bunch of Innova molds I've never paid attention to previously.
Welcome to my world!
Gateway surprisingly has a bunch of lightweight stuff. I still haven't tried any.

marmoset said:
Is it Sherando?

Yep, those big bushy trees definitely help you analyze your bail-out game. When you cut deep into one, all you can to is step, straddle, and flick.

Actually, for the stupid understable slow mid spot I noticed the DX Wolf is in 150. I might try that, it'll basically be a trick shot slot until a Roc beats up.

marmoset said:
But that's the old San Marino mold, not the new WWW mold. The new mold has a teenytiny bead and I hear it starts out a little more overstable than usual.

Yes, it does. Tried a new mold light-ish one for my girlfriend. Wasn't a fan. Not sure if the extra weight off of the 150 would make it that much better.

I'm thinking I'll get the Whippet for the overstable work. I also noticed the Sentinal is avail. in 150. Anyone tried them?

Ordered most of my 150 bag from GGGT today. I think I found my Comet alternative. The Tui from DG Aotearoa, its only made in 140-150 and is right next to the Comet on Blake's flight chart. Guess I'll find out. I also picked up a Squall just because they were cheap ($5.50).

marmoset said:
What all did you order?

I am always jealous of new plastic :oops: .

QOLF
Champ Firebird
Star TeeBird
Star Eagle
DX Whippet
DX Roc
Tui
Squall

Already had a Star Valk and 2 old Ching Tanks around to round out the bag.