• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

150 Surge

I think the disc you want is the 150 Talon, if you can still find them. The orange flips up nicely and holds the line, the yellowish greenish is pig stable. The talon and the flick are the only overstable discs discraft makes in 150. That said, you can get the 150 XL and cyclone to flip up and come back with your technique smooth enough. The flick varies a lot on how flippy it is from color to color. If you want one that won't flip as easily, see if you can track down a pink one.

I'd love to see some more 150 love from discraft. A 150 avenger or pred would be faboo!

Some stable discs in 150g are:

Keep in mind - these are throws that are released around flat. If you add some hyzer to the release, they will all react with more stability (conversely with anhyzer).

Banshee - this is dead straight with a hard fade. Not long before it turns into a flips, but comes back disc.
Illusion (this is stupid stable. If you lived nearby, I'd give it to you if you could flip it on an on-plane throw).
Firebird - just like the heavier ones - pig stable and takes forever to beat into understable
Talon - Quite stable - comes in Z, so should last, too.
Teerex - Close to the star version in stability.
Starfire - stable, but not overly so.
SOLF - this is stable under 300', but has a gentle S when thrown 330'+
Eagle - can get in champ and is stable up to 250', starts to flatten out, turn S at distances around 300'.
Flick - similer to the firebird - comes in Z, too.

That's about all I can think of on the stable side.

For what it's worth - I would be you can throw some of the others - i.e. valkyrie - in 10-15mph winds as well; however, you'd have to be able to throw a long hyzer on a line in order for it to perform predictably. I've thrown them on windy days but the long hyzer isn't a strong shot for me, so typically, I've moved up in weight or stability to throw flatter in the past.

I throw 150 surges. There cool what you get a feel. you can really belt them deep long you throw from a hyzer release cuase more torque you put on it. It will flip quick.

So far not got it to S shot just flip up flat and just goes straight till it fades at the end of flight.

If I can get it to flip right I can put it out there well over 400ft.

I've found my 150g Surge to be useful for uphill shots -- but that's about it. For most purposes it's just insanely flippy.

For the people who see the 150 Surge as just being too flippy to use, I'm sorry, but it's the indian. It's very, very odd throwing 150 discs properly, and if you throw them at all like a "normal" weight disc, you'll see what you've been seeing out of them. Slow it down, be gentle, grip a hair lighter, and most of all make sure you have no OAT. If you're genuinely interested in throwing it and practice those things, you'll start to see much better and more predictable flight out of them.

I throw 150g discs all the time, so I'm definitely accustomed to it... and what I've found is that the 150 Surge is about as flippy as my 150g Valkyrie -- I was hoping the Surge would be beefier.

adamschneider said:
I throw 150g discs all the time, so I'm definitely accustomed to it... and what I've found is that the 150 Surge is about as flippy as my 150g Valkyrie -- I was hoping the Surge would be beefier.

I'm with Skabob on this one. Maybe it's the color, plastic or something strange about the disc you have, but the two white 150g surges I have are much, much more stable than my 150g valks (any of them).

I would guess that maybe you're getting a little extra torque (not off axis) or a slightly anhyzer release on them -- or it's just the discs you have. Could well be either.

Could also be that you're throwing over 400'. In which case, I don't know that 150g discs are really that helpful. Maybe if you wanted to just "pop" one out to 250'300'. But if you try any of the throws you normally put on a heavier disc, most of them do just flip real easy.