• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

-18 (almost -19) REAL or Memorex???

The difference between -17 and -18 is ridiculous. The closest course to me right now is super short (average hole is about 175), but I've never heard of someone shooting -18 on it. Pros have played the course and just barely missed it by hitting 17 under. I've hit -14 under. But to throw 36 perfect shots is insane. I don't care if you're throwing 150' wide open holes with a backboard right behind every hole-if you make one small mistake, the -18 round is over and done. Even Climo, when he was on that one day (see the post above) couldn't remain perfect. Just saying.

I'm guessing Hole 5 Guy may have taken a couple of throws on a few holes "so as to demonstrate" how a fella could score a 36 at Hiestand. I've played Hiestand a bunch of times and can birdie all the holes from the am tees ( except #5..) and so can a lot of people, but my best is still a -8.

Be that as it may, I thought the video itself was neat ( "neat?"...old fart talk) and extremely well made. The light was great..the sound was good and it gave a nice little showing of a fun course here in Madison.

Gotta say though... and not to take anything away from a good player but, Hole 5 Guy was playing in the morning ( judging by the light) and the wind was not blowing. Hiestand plays on and around one big hill and except for #'s 1 & 2, every hole plays in a different direction with different changes in elevation and exposure to wind. Most afternoons, the wind kicks up and swirls thru different areas that don't jive with what you feel on the first tee.

Props to Chad Inham, a fine local player for putting this "moving picture thingy" together.

You many need to explain to anyone here under 23 what "Memorex" is.

"Cassette? What is this cassette thing you speak of?";)

You many need to explain to anyone here under 23 what "Memorex" is.

"Cassette? What is this cassette thing you speak of?";)

Back in the days before phone answering machines, microwave ovens and ADD they had this thing for recorded music called cassette tapes. They tended to unravel and tangle and break. A person can still find them along roadsides and HWY interchanges...ussually with recording artist name like Joe Walsh or Styx Greatest Hits...occasionally Barry Manilow or Neil Diamond.

Memorex was a popular TV comercial that featured an opera singer who shattered glasses with her voice...But...was it Live or was it Memorex (TM)

I remember before we got CDs, when I would buy a cassette, I would actually listen to the whole thing beginning to end, because it was to hard to fast forward and stop where the next song began. Now, if you don't like a song on a CD, you just skip past it. I had the whole Iron Maiden collection on cassette, and because of that, I knew every word to every song.

Two problems I see-
First, luck factor- wind always gusts, perfect putts do bounce out, and even the best looking shots can hit a root, or get a bad kick, etc.

Second- to have a camera handy and film it knowing he will shoot -18 that time is impossible. If he missed #1, they'd have to start all over. If he missed #17, they'd have to have started all over. It could take days to film a perfect round even if it was doable. With editing anyone can make a -18 round on film.

What an awesome idea for Kops park, I wish I would have had a camera setup when I went -2 . . . twice I would have been only needed 7 more rounds of -2 and it would have been legit!

On a serious note, doing films like this is an awesome idea. It shows you the hole from beginning to end and shows you the shot required to get to the circle and all you have to do is make the putt. I will put in a request to Hole5Guy to try the Brown Deer video, but I think it closes in 4 or 5 days so it may not happen until 2010.

Latest posts