• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1st stencil dye, need help

bhuff

Double Eagle Member
I did this one last night, but I was having trouble transfering it. I put a sheet of masking tape on the back before I peeled it off, but alot of the littler pieces were staying stuck and breaking or stretching. It didn't end up like the original and there were a few bleeds because of the stencil breakage. How do ya'll transfer onto the disc? or is it safe to cut right on the disc?

Attachments

• rollingstones.jpg
    rollingstones.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 58
I cut out my designs directly on the disc...

Having said that, I don't do dyes w/ alot of small detail.

One of my buddies has gotten very good at dying discs. He uses vinyl and cuts it out directly on the disc. If you are careful, there won't be any damage to the disc. I think that's the way to go.

I will try again soon. I was using clear packing tape to transfer it, and it was holding to well. I might have to try cutting directly on the disc if the next design is less complex. Thanks for insight guys.

Oh and philman I was looking at your dyes...There pretty badass! keep it up.

I've only done 2 dyes that were actual shapes or patterns but I:
-Trace the design onto contact paper
-Cut out what I traced on the contact paper with itty bitty scissors
-Remove some of the backing and start applying the contact paper to the disc.
-I remove more and more of the backing as I work my way around.
The backing will pulls off even if the contact paper is almost tight to the disc.
-I make sure to smooth the borders with my fingernail and finger pads,
working out any air bubbles that are near the cut edges. Air bubbles near the discs edges or not near your cuts don't matter.

This is working for me, but I see how using some tape to line up the cutout could be helpful in getting your design centered.

I cut my stencils out after i put contact paper on my disc and i never have a problem. You cant cut through your disc unless you using waaaay too much pressure, and any scratches left from you knife will be covered by the dye job

Attachments

• stencil half cut out.jpg
    stencil half cut out.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 25
  • stencil cut out.jpg
    stencil cut out.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 26
  • tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 30
I cut my stencils out after i put contact paper on my disc and i never have a problem. You cant cut through your disc unless you using waaaay too much pressure, and any scratches left from you knife will be covered by the dye job

Those scratches aren't covered by the dye. You can see them in the light. Cutting should really be done off the disc.

Those scratches aren't covered by the dye. You can see them in the light. Cutting should really be done off the disc.

The scratches can be seen if your looking for them, but then same goes for the original stamp in the plastic. So in my mind there is no difference, to be honest the scratches are hidden better by the dye than the original stamp indentation. But really either way works, i just find this way to be easier and just as visually aesthetic. And if any calls you out on the scratches then well, do they play disc golf? Because you disc is going to get scratched no matter what.