• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2 weeks in US from NZ

nzdiscgolfer

Bogey Member
Hey folks,
I'm heading to the US next March time for two weeks of DG. Anyone got recommendations on where I should spend my time? Best courses to try and get to? Maybe one week in CA and one week in NC? What do you think?
Cheers all.

There's a cool website that has all of that info on it, you should check it out!

Here is a link: www.dgcoursereview.com

March is probably a little early for the great courses we have in Oregon & Washington, and probably the midwest as well; so yeah, Cali & NC are probably your least risky bets.

March is good in the Carolinas.

I'd suggest a loop starting in Charlotte, cutting across South Carolina to Augusta, Georgia and the IDGC, then a backroads trip in the western half of S.C. to include Stoney Hill, Chester State Park, some courses in the northwest corner, then back to Charlotte to play more courses there before flying out.

Fly into Charlotte and play there for a few days, head south and play IDGC, head west and play whatever 4.0s there are on the way to Selah (and Trey). If you have any time left, head west to DFW or south to Shawshank and Houston.

The drive from IDGC to Selah is 12.5 hours but there appear to be some reasonable courses spread out along the way (JP Moseley, Clay, The Rez, White Tail, Lindsey Gold).

Of course this assumes Selah still exists in March.

Fly into Charlotte and play there for a few days, head south and play IDGC, head west and play whatever 4.0s there are on the way to Selah (and Trey). If you have any time left, head west to DFW or south to Shawshank and Houston.

The drive from IDGC to Selah is 12.5 hours but there appear to be some reasonable courses spread out along the way (JP Moseley, Clay, The Rez, White Tail, Lindsey Gold).

Of course this assumes Selah still exists in March.

This is a great plan, especially in March. But I might suggest from Birmingham, AL travel to Memphis, TN to play Bud Hill. Then to Jonesboro, AR to play Disc Side of Heaven. Then on to Selah Ranch, Trey Deuce. Lots of good golf using that route.

Lots of possibilities with the whole country at your fingertips.

I visited Selah/Trey Texas in April. I thought those four courses ranged from darn good to unbelievable - my round at Lakeside is my most memorable disc golfing experience thus far. It's as worth a ~7500 mile trip to play as any I can imagine. There are also enough quality courses in the region - Shawshank for one, plus a bunch in the Houston area - to make a few days of it. At that time of year, this would be at the top of my list.

How much driving do you want to do?

When it comes to (1) clusters of good-to-great courses in (2) places with mild weather in March, I think the Charlotte/Augusta areas and Texas are the top choices. I'm not as clear about California, but it's a very big state and my impression is that the top courses aren't particularly clustered together.

Then again, California may have more appeal for the non-disc-golf aspects of your vacation.

Texas often has huge drives between course groupings. However, it is arguably the best case scenario weather wise.

Awesome, thanks for that folks. Looks like NC, SC, TN and Texas are where I'm going to be doing some research into courses and routes etc. Thanks for the help getting me started.

I'd spring for one of the higher-level memberships here, whichever one has roadtrips. I don't travel these days so don't have it myself, but it's got to be helpful.

FYI - average highs in South Carolina in March range from high 60s to mid 70s (F).

In the meantime, we've whittled it down to less than 1000 possible courses for you, and wish you luck narrowing that down to 2 weeks' worth.

And hope that your journeys bring you to Stoney Hill, at some point.

I'd spring for one of the higher-level memberships here, whichever one has roadtrips. I don't travel these days so don't have it myself, but it's got to be helpful.

FYI - average highs in South Carolina in March range from high 60s to mid 70s (F).

In the meantime, we've whittled it down to less than 1000 possible courses for you, and wish you luck narrowing that down to 2 weeks' worth.

And hope that your journeys bring you to Stoney Hill, at some point.

Heh heh, yeah I'm not going to be short of courses to play. Bit different to the amount of courses we have over here that's for sure!

Yeah Stoney Hill could well be on the list I think. Heck I could easily just spend the time in NC and SC with a few hops into TN too by the look of things.

Hi there, I think the other posters have guided you in the right direction already but I will add my two cents.

Charlotte - 2 days (Renaissance, Hornet's Nest, Winthrop, and your choice for the others)
International Disc Golf Center - 1 day

From there I would just stay along I-20 all the way to Texas. No real reason to wander too far. These are the courses that I would suggest stopping off to play along the route:

Atlanta, GA - J.P. Moseley and/or Perkerson
Birmingham, AL - George Ward and/or Iverness
Jackson, MS - The Rez
North Louisiana - Lake Claiborne State Park, Lake Bistineau State Park, and/or Ford Park in Shreveport, LA

I would allot 3 days for that part of the trip. In Texas, I would allocate your days like this:

Selah Ranch - 1 day
Trey Texas Ranch - 1 day
Dallas - 3 days
Austin - 3 days

Overall, that is 14 days with just over 20 hours of driving and you could probably get in close to 40 courses if you really wanted. If you need to shave a day or two, I would just make the drive between Augusta and Texas quicker with less stopping for disc golf in between. Texas, the IDGC, and Charlotte are the highlights of this trip. While Arkansas and Tennessee have some pretty good courses, they aren't much different from those in Mississippi and Louisiana, and definitely not worth the significant extra driving time that it would take to zig zag all over the south between Georgia and Texas. Definitely just stick to I-20 from Augusta to Texas.

That would be a killer trip!

Also, depending on your budget and time allotment, you may consider flying into Dallas, playing Dallas/Selah Ranch/Trey Texas, driving to Austin and playing there, then flying to Atlanta and driving from there to Augusta to Charlotte. That would cut out the majority of your driving which would be nice. Plus, like I said before, those are really the highlights of the trip. Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana are just okay for disc golf. And this would give you more time to enjoy once you reach the Carolinas and would allow you to move at a little bit slower pace for the entire trip.

Charlotte - 3 days (Renaissance, Hornet's Nest (NEVIN is 5 minutes away), Winthrop(not worth the drive without the ropes up, I dont think you will enjoy your time.) and your choice for the others. There are hundreds of best courses in Charlotte threads. The Robbins, Bradford, Nest, Nevin, RL Smith, Sugaw, Kilborne, Eastway, Renny block is an easy 3 per day and they are all next to each other. If you are going to drive away from Charlotte to TN there are some neat ones in Gastonia, and dry creek is awesome...more open but WAY better than Winthrop that time of year.

The problem of going coast to coast is how much time you will spend in the car. Also did you plan to fly in/out from different airports? If not consider the long drive back. I suggest you try to fly into one coast or the other and stay within say 500 miles.

If you fly into Cali you have the birthplace of disc golf with no shortage of courses. Also National parks such as Yosemite. The California coast, visit some giant red woods. If time continue up to Oregon Mt Hood, or Washington state.

If you fly into Charlotte, same advice. Play the Charlotte area for about a week, head towards the Smokey mountains & play all courses in the high country.

Once you limit the area of focus we can give better advice of what area courses to hit.

It really does depend on how much you want to focus strictly on disc golf versus combining disc golf with other activities. The Texas part would basically be just for disc golf. The west coast would be a lot more attractive if you wanted to do other outdoor activities along with disc golf. The Carolinas/Georgia/Tennessee would offer a bit of both.

I've driven I-20 many times to DFW down I-85 from Charlotte, and I found that Birmingham made a great 'disc-stop' between the two places. Good food/re-supply options, Ward Park is great and plays quickly with a good mix of distance, trees and elevation. Plus I've always met super-friendly people there on my travels, and I understand a new course has been added to the area since my last trip through.

The Rez didn't really impress me, a few cool holes. Whatever course I stopped at in ATL, I always felt like it wasn't a great use of my limited time on the trip and would end up rushing through.

Selah is awesome for sure, and a 'must-play' if it is still in the ground. If funds aren't a big deal, Southwest Airlines always has cheap fares into Dallas and rent a car to get to Selah (or find someone on here to bribe for a ride). There are some good courses in DFW but not really anything worth hanging around an extra day for if you are pressed for time.

Otherwise stick with the 'epics' that are playable in March - LaMirada, Renny/Charlotte, IDGC, or somehow convince Kelly to re-open Flyboy for you :)