• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

200 foot barrier after 5 years of drills

I'll work on that, but turning that foot while reaching back is super hard to do. It really limits the reachback, until the time the plant foot starts stepping. interesting. I just tried it a few times and it isn't easy.

If my rear foot points 180, a long back swing is easy, but the foot can't "gas pedal" at all, and all the momentum must come from the plant foot pushing off as it starts to step. Yes definitely I'm moving one speed, I'll work on that too.

Definitely that is the other problem with turning back early, your hips are then wide open and you have zero stretch between the muscles of the back and hips. Open back foot is bad juju.

Definitely that is the other problem with turning back early, your hips are then wide open and you have zero stretch between the muscles of the back and hips. Open back foot is bad juju.

My mental image of the conventional throw is that shoulders turn way back while hips stay mostly in line and move laterally toward target, sort of winding up the core like a spring.

That can't happen with this style reachback. The only way to engage that core seems to be to maintain the shoulders way back and hips rotate naturally forward with the plant.

It's curious though, his instruction on the forehand was exactly the opposite. He wants the hips to maintain square to the target while the shoulders rotate back. I've been working on that, with some decent throws though no consistency yet.

I wonder if this is a really different form with potential, or it's more like a drill that eventually has to tweak into something more conventional. the single axis golfers used to argue that point all the time, back when I still attempted ball golf.

My mental image of the conventional throw is that shoulders turn way back while hips stay mostly in line and move laterally toward target, sort of winding up the core like a spring.

That can't happen with this style reachback. The only way to engage that core seems to be to maintain the shoulders way back and hips rotate naturally forward with the plant.

It's curious though, his instruction on the forehand was exactly the opposite. He wants the hips to maintain square to the target while the shoulders rotate back. I've been working on that, with some decent throws though no consistency yet.

I wonder if this is a really different form with potential, or it's more like a drill that eventually has to tweak into something more conventional. the single axis golfers used to argue that point all the time, back when I still attempted ball golf.
I prefer to move more sideways BH and FH more like pitcher or hitter starts.

I tried the forward FH walk once, and it felt like it was going to tear my abs apart and could barely turn my shoulders back and had very little power.

Latest posts