• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2011 Ace Race Putter

it is close to a rattler but noticeably faster and (imo) much harder to range

sweet thanks brotha.. yeah i figured it would feel different since the couple i have seen pics off looked more like a big challenger or something.. not a lid

sweet thanks brotha.. yeah i figured it would feel different since the couple i have seen pics off looked more like a big challenger or something.. not a lid

If feels nothing like a rattler in hand. Most people say Aero.

The challenger has a bead and isn't fully rounded on the nose, this one is actually fully rounded w/no bead. It is MUCH bigger than a challenger as well and flies nothing like it. I think it's going to make my bag actually.

^^^^ sweet.. yeah i didnt think it would feel like a rattler but digging on what i have heard sounds like something i would like..got an ace race in october so should be a blast

They are now my 9yo daughters. She throws them at our practice basket in the back yard. They will not make it in my bag. Too heavy and I like my buzz and wizards.

Ok, I gotta wonder about some of y'all that hate this disc. I must say, only throwing it 70-80ft in my yard, that I am in love. I got two, a D 181 and an ESP 178, and really like them from what I've seen. Holds an turn I put on them, or flies dead straight, lots of glide even at low power. I can't wait to try some driving with them. I even liked them for regular putting.

If the Comet and APX had a baby, with maybe a touch of rattler DNA thrown in, that is what this disc would be! The descriptions of "slower comet" seem to be spot on. I'd even add that it's a faster APX.

Saturday, we have a singles round on a nasty-tough wooded private course. I think I may carry only these, no APX's and possibly no Comets, just to really put these through their trials.

I am a fan, I have found it to be relatively controllable, It makes for a good get out of trouble disc. I would never drive with it but in field practice put it out to 210-240 with a FH hyzer flip, couldn't repeat but it was nice to watch it glide like that. I prefer the D it has broken in great so far and found a nice spot in my bag.

I think it will get the nebula treatment. I just dont see a new for it, just throw a rattler. Then again, I have no need for a large diameter in my bag. maybe it will be produced.

got our ace race tomorrow at bud hill - come out if you are in the area!!!

looking forward to fondling this thing... and also holding out hope that the TD hasn't already given the discs out to his crew for 'practice' <-- has anyone experienced this before?? In my first ace race, it was clear and obvious that it wasn't the first time some of those people had used the disc... kind of lame if you ask me

got our ace race tomorrow at bud hill - come out if you are in the area!!!

looking forward to fondling this thing... and also holding out hope that the TD hasn't already given the discs out to his crew for 'practice' <-- has anyone experienced this before?? In my first ace race, it was clear and obvious that it wasn't the first time some of those people had used the disc... kind of lame if you ask me

Dang bro, making me feel like I am cheating or something? Is that considered cheating since I bought a couple two weeks ahead of the Ace Race I signed up for? :D

Dang bro, making me feel like I am cheating or something? Is that considered cheating since I bought a couple two weeks ahead of the Ace Race I signed up for? :D

Technically No... there are no rules against it and even if there was, it would be impossible to enforce. However, you have to use the discs provided on the day of the event, so you may wind up with completely different putters.

Another thing to consider, possibly some of them went to another local area ace race. I know we have a couple different Ace Races in the area so I know of people that went to one and by the time the other came around they of course already knew the disc pretty well.

I would say its cheating in this case either as they paid to play both times.

It seemed to be great for the young kids (10/11-year-old) that played in my event...the crazy glide really carried that heavy putter farther than they're comfortable throwing regular putters (my son was one of them, so this is partially his direct feedback), and they were pulling off equivalent shots to the adults in the Race, so I think it helped introduce the idea of putter versatility, not just something you pull out of your bag when you're within 20-30 feet.

We started this deal with all the Ace Races in the area (at least most of 'em this year) where if you already had a pack from a previous AR, you could enter for just $10. That's $10 pure profit for the TD/club (as opposed to the $7-$8 you get selling the actual new packs), so if you can lure in big groups of people with packs in hand, you could stand to make some decent cash. I certainly wouldn't say it's cheating. I don't encourage people calling foot faults at my events, either; so what, you missed your mark by a few inches -- pick 'er up and move on! I do have occasional participants that seem to take it very seriously, though, so it's a struggle to put up a facade of running things "professionally" and just being laid back and encouraging fun. I think the only way to cheat at an Ace Race would be to falsify your scorecard, which is theoretically possible if a group of "bros" go out and mutually agree to produce a winner and split the prize pack later...I don't know of this ever happening and would imagine most people wouldn't take part in such a scheme, and even with the faint possibility of such a thing happening, I still let people go out in their own groups.

My local ace race was today and I have to say that the disc impressed me. Very straight when thrown easy, and still predictable when thrown on a drive. It was pretty windy early on for the event, and we figured out that this big disc will get thrown around when into a headwind, but it was pretty good even in cross winds and great in a tailwind. The wind calmed down in the second round and there was quite a few aces and a lot of metal hit.

The TD had a laser range finder with him, and after the rounds, I got him to measure a drive that I made with the disc. I got the esp one out to 318' on a straight line. That is further than I normally throw my beat JK Aviar and on a very similar line. Because of that, I think this disc will take the spot of my JK Aviar. The pro-d one is more flippy than the esp, so I will probably bag it for now and see if it makes a permanent spot.

For putting...I didn't like it at all. The esp is too slick, and I didn't care for the pro-d either.

Latest posts