• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2011 Bag Commitment

Animage

Double Eagle Member
Going to try to commit to this for all of 2011.

photo9ey.jpg

Drivers (300-330ish)
1. 172 Champion Banshee - Utility
2. 167 Star Valkyrie - Distance Driver
3. 166 Champion Valkyrie - Bit more end fade than the star
4. 167 Star Teebird
5. 168 DX Teebird
6. 167 Star Eagle-X - Works a line, working FH driver
7. 170 Star Leopard - Seasoning
8. 167 Champion Leopard - Like a shorter Valk with less turn/fade

Midranges (250-280ish)
9. 173 KC Pro Roc - Woods
10. 174 DX Roc - New
11. 174 DX Roc - Beat
12. 174 Elite Z Comet - Woods- Straight/Anny
13. 175 Elite X Comet - Finesse Straight/Anny

Putters (0-230ish)
14. 170 Champion Rhyno
15. 175 Pro Rhyno
16. 175 Soft Wizard
17. 175 Glow Wizard

18. Mini
19-22. Nutsac for smaller rounds, Baseball, Towel, Flashlight
23-27. Bug Spray, Sharpie, Itch-Stopper, Band-aids

Possible Addition of a Hornet once I test one out. Powered down Banshee works just as well for me now.

I could not keep Rhynos out of the bag. We had some wonderful 15mph+ gusts so far this year and my wind putting with wizards just isn't there. If I make any changes with just my current setup, I'll be taking the champ Rhyno out for another Soft Wizard that I trust driving more than the Glow.

I'm hoping to remain mold consistent for the whole year to gain some distance. Once I hit 330ish with Valks/Teebirds mid-summer I never improved. Not that it's necessary at any local course to me, but it'll be solid in fieldwork.

Playing in 20 degree weather didn't seem to affect my distance by more than 10 feet outside of putting. Rather happy about that, but we're back to 7 inches of snow down which keeps me from playing.

Valkyries are the last disc out of my bag choice wise regardless of distance as I'm still solid in my thoughts of hitting 350 with a Teebird before I need faster plastic. With my Valks though, I've found I have nose angle issues as I'm finding all the rest of my discs but comets to negate N.A. for the most part.

I don't know if I need critiques as much as I just wanted to have this written down to read about my own progress, or if you have your own bag nailed down for the year I'd love to see what you're using and to see how it differs from mine. Courses do not matter, as I have backups to all my discs.

Looks really tight! You seem to have found the molds that work for you and also have all the shots covered. I wish my bag looked as good!

You could cut a few molds(read:drivers) but it looks good. I'm a big fan of only carrying 1 putter mold and I'm confused how your Wizard isn't cutting it as a wind putter, considering it's probably the best wind putter on the market...Don't take that personally though I'm fairly obsessed with mine.

Lots of Innova though I'd try some other manufacturers and possibly some heavier discs. I don't really throw anything under 173 especially in the wind, lighter discs just aren't as predictable as long.

Ive got nearly every disc from most manufacturers (current releases). These discs just truly have no replacement from others. Closest thing to calls for me are XS' but struggle to find them stocked with weights colors.

As for wizard in wind, my putting style I much more of a lob at longer distances where the stability of the disc leads it in. This is what is natural to me and doesn't put much spin on the wizards. Rhynos though feel more natural in my hand and I can work a bit of snap. I should note I have small to medium sized hands at best. And it's probably about 75% mental but it works for me. I went wizard exclusive for 4 months and it never helped me out

LOL, I love how you are carrying another bag in your bag. I would find myself carrying the nutsac more as I got tired of carrying the big bag.

I like your setup though. Keeping the Valks in there to keep working on nose angle is a good idea IMO. I just wouldnt use them for anything 350' and in if thats your goal to hit with the Teebirds.

I pretty much have my bag nailed down and want to stick with it for the year in round play (its in my sig).

Im a casual disc golfer so I dont carry spares but do carry multiples of the same mold to do different shots providing me some overlap on some , but I have recently stocked up on those staples since Im so confident in them and if I enetered competetive play, I'd break out the bigger bag and carry the spares; which will be getting a little broke in on field work; which is also where Im testing fast drivers that wont get in my bag until I start breaking 350' with the River and Preds more regularly.

If I do happen to go play a course that has some water hazards that are majorly in play, I got some "throw away" discs that Im familiar with that I will stick in there. I would have much rather had baseline plastic of what I already throw but my staples either dont have a low grade plastic, or its not readily available for the most part.

How's that hornet/fuse combo working out for you. I love z plastic so I wouldn't be worried about the hornet loosing stability too fast. I really love the fuse but kept comets for the similar feel to my rocs, but I've never felt at home with a bead that wasnt on a putter

My Hornets are all ESP. Im thinking if I only had Z, I might have kept the Cores in there for quite a while until a hornet got beat in.

The Hornets to me dont have that huge lip the Rocs have and seem to just feel natural going between it and the Fuse. The ESP Hornets at least when broken in just a little flight-wise kind of remind me of a brand new KC Roc but the Hornet is longer for me, just as the Fuse is longer for me than a Comet, but I will say that I think the Fuse has just a touch more turn than a Comet and just a little less fade and not as sensitive.

What do you use the tbirds for? I would think you could cut a few drivers out and still have everything covered.

Teebirds are my primary driver. Eagles are relatively new, but liking them for forehand and backhand on the little lines they do.

Unless I'm completely in the open, Teebirds come out. If I ever learn to throw hyzer, they may leave, but I can't control hyzer shots at all. Field practice never seems to benefit me on the course regarding those shots.

Bag looks tight to me. Seven inches of snow is scaring you off? We play in over a foot almost all winter here, understandable for a casual player though I guess.

Does the blue/white thing ever get confusing?

So what is the difference between a buzzz and fuse? I was looking at one, since my meteor is turning and burning. no its not OAT.
Anyway, about the bag, I wish I had a bag that set in stone. I wanna do that. So, from june 2011 to june 2012, Imma do that.

Bag looks tight to me. Seven inches of snow is scaring you off? We play in over a foot almost all winter here, understandable for a casual player though I guess.

Does the blue/white thing ever get confusing?

Nah, I'm OCD about disc placement in the bag so I never misgrab. I haven't went in anything over an inch yet this year, but I have ZERO people willing to go out with me with the current snowfalls.

@ KC

I don't know your distance, but a Buzzz to me is like a midrange version of a semi-beat Teebird. I love Buzzz' but tried to play the Roc/Comet route that people suggested. I don't have monster snap or an arm, so I give Rocs a bit of air and let them work their route. Fuse brand new flies understable but fades back a bit. I imagine at more distance (300+) they dont fade back as much. I akin Buzzz to stable and Fuse to Stable/Understable. If you can control a hyzer angle, the Fuse can do alot for you though.

First field trip i'll test out the Hornet/Buzzz/Buzzz SS combo with a fuse as well to see, but if they don't wow me, I'll be sticking to Roc/Comet

If I ever learn to throw hyzer, they may leave, but I can't control hyzer shots at all. Field practice never seems to benefit me on the course regarding those shots.

I thought hyzer shots were supposed to be the easiest ones to throw??!? What aspect of control are you struggling with? And what disc(s) do you normally throw?

Fuse is slower than the buzzz, less forgiving, it holds the angle you release it at. Need to throw with a tad bit of hyzer to get it to go straight. Never thrown a comet but I've heard they're very similar.

I thought hyzer shots were supposed to be the easiest ones to throw??!? What aspect of control are you struggling with? And what disc(s) do you normally throw?

I should clarify. Intentional degree buzzes are what I struggle with. Keeping it at the angle and doing the pull through is difficult for me. I can do them on standstills, but with an x-step, my timing is always off. My answer was always just having an overstable, stable, or understable disc to do the work for me. However I really need to get a hyzer flipped perfectly straight shot into my game for tunnels. Mostly me wanting to step up my game this year and progress

Well this has gone worse than I thought.

With the release of the Pain and Hornet, I'll be testing them out pretty extensively. The chances at stable/overstable Premium plastic mids without a bead has me excited.

That and testing a Buzzz SS and Fuse head to head.

Mid setup would be 3 discs, albeit 3 molds, but I'd have no issues with wear damage and would no longer fear all the trees here with my Rocs.

This has gone pretty ass backwards.

Basically the Star eagle kicked out the Teebirds and Valks. Once I started using the SEX more, I found I liked putting a bit of hyzer to eliminate the turn, slight anhyzer and letting it turn more. It was really nice. However stable. So I went out of bought a few DX Eagles to test out and just loving them. Adding glide to a disc I was already loving really cemented it.

Grabbed the Eagle L's I already had, put them in, found a slight hyzer was pretty damn close to a Teebird shot (although slightly less D than a Teebird). I'm keeping Leopards in the bag until I season up one of my DX Eagle X's and let the first of my Champ EL's work a bit. I'm really liking them.

Buzzz's are in for a bit longer, but I'm honestly not missing Roc's the more I work an ESP Buzzz with my Z. Weather is still pretty flippy here, so the Rocs havent had a chance to come out on one of the warmer days even.

Forced the Rhyno's out, as well as the magics for now.

Bag looks as follows based off the past month. My distance has dropped a bit, but Eagles definitely have less glide and fade down more that my Teebirds.

Putters
175 Soft Wizard - Main putter (Tacky but firm)
172 Soft Wizard - Driving Wizard
170 Evo Wizard - Driving Wizard in the Woods or thick areas where the softs grab at branches and leaves.

Mids
175 X Comet - Seasoning nicely
174 Z Comet - Woods Comet
175 Z Buzzz - Ending Left and lower shots
172 ESP Buzzz - Working on it, seems to be straighter than the Z but still ends left
169 FLX Buzzz - The Utility mid, only comes out when footing is off in woods and tree hits are a close guarantee

Drivers
170 Pro Leopard - Workhorse straight/understable
167 Champion Leopard - Relatively straight to 300ish
170 DX Eagle X - Love affair
167 Champion Eagle L - Working slowly to replace Leopards
167 Champion Eagle X - Main forehand disc and love it on woodsier shots
167 Star Eagle X - Started this switcheroo, but working on the DX and L moreso now
172 Champion Banshee - Utility/OH/Strong FH/BH Hyzers

If you want a straighter Buzzz off the shelf instead of spending time breaking in a Z or ESP you should try and Elite X, this is my favorite Buzzz plastic. It's also decent (better than the Z) in the rain. :)

If you want a straighter Buzzz off the shelf instead of spending time breaking in a Z or ESP you should try and Elite X, this is my favorite Buzzz plastic. It's also decent (better than the Z) in the rain. :)

I've been meaning to get another one. I have a X Buzzz, but it's currently loaned out (stolen) by my brother.

I really like the X Comet for the slow turnovers, but I can't keep them straight on low height shots.

I should just pick up another X Buzzz.