• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 ITB & Bag help

Regulator

Years playing/experience: 4 years total, 3 years casual and last year competitive
Amateur 925 rating
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: Right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Putters 275-300~; Mids 300-350~ ; Fairways 375~ ; Max 425-450~

Optional:
Sex: M
Other sport proficiencies?: Flag Football
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Carrying way to many discs and can't seem to slim them down.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Bag crunching/Slim down, help on Overlap

Bag:

High Speed Drivers:
159 Prodigy Air D3 - Super Understable Distance
174 Champ Tern (Beat) - Moderately Understable Distance
171 Champ Feldberg Boss (beat) - Slightly Understable Distance
175 Echo* DD2 (worn) - Straight Distance
169 S-line DD (used) - Slightly Overstable Distance
167 C-line PD2 - Super Overstable Distance

Low Speed Drivers:
175 S-line TD2 - Understable
175 P-line PD - Stable
167 S-line PD - Overstable

Fairways:
171 DX Banshee (Super beat) - Super Understable/Roller Disc
175 Star Leopard - Slight Understable
175 1st run KC Pro Banshee (Champ like) - Overstable
174 Champ Banshee - Overstable (Backup Banshee)

Mids:
180 DX Cobra (beat) - Super Understable
180 DX Stingray - Moderately Understable
180 DX Roc (worn) - Slightly Understable
180 C-line MD3 (Beat) - Stable/Straight
180 C-line MD3 - Overstable

Putters:
Driving putters:
D-Line P1 171 - Slightly Understable
D-Line P2 175 (Beat) - Stable
D-Line P3 175 - Stable to Overstable
C-Line P3 171 - Super Overstable

Putting Putters:
2x D-line P2 174

Well that's it, Sheesh it even felt like i carry to many to have to type that many up.

I know with all these discs i can cover almost any shot on any course, but maybe that's my downfall because I'm not sticking to a select mold for each type of distance. And i love to throw everything!
I'm trying to get serious about Disc Golf but i feel throwing too many molds is holding me back. I'm usually sitting at 24-25 in my bag but i would love to get down to 18 or even 15.

Also where i play there's all different types of courses, I've tried to use a backup bag to pull maybe 7-8 discs out that i most likely wont use on that specific course. But i end up getting out there and I'm thinking oh if I had that disc, so that's why I'm just like "Ill just carry everything."

Thanks in advance for any input anyone has to chime in on, what they would throw or what their current experiences with bag slim down are.

And may they all Fly Well

Looks similar to my setup very "logical" the only thing I might question is do you need both the low speed drivers and fairways? For me I took the low speed drivers out and worked on powering down my high speed drivers to get the same line. The other thing is I'd lose a couple putters for sure 6 is way to many, unless you throw your putters more than your mids then maybe take a mid or two out.

The way I run mine after dropping down from 27 discs to 18 is 6 drivers from understable to overstable including one backup of my main driver, 4 Fairways similar to your setup, 4 Mids, one stable driving putter, my main putter and a backup throwing putter in the same mold as my main (which is understable). Here there are a variety of courses from open to hilly to wooded and with that setup I've not found a shot I couldn't cover with something, maybe not the best disc but a reliable one that I know will work.

Hard for me to say because you said you play competitively, and when doing that you should not put yourself at any disadvantage, even if that means lugging all of these discs around.

Having said that, if you're playing for fun, there is some serious overlap. The Boss and Tern is one example: you could drop one or the other. Also, in each section, everywhere you have "understable", be it super or slight, consolidate by selecting one of the three or four. I would not try to consolidate so that one disc is expected to do overstable and understable work, but when they're close, see if you could choose one or the other without loss of performance.

Makes sense guys, thanks for the replies.

This week I'm probably going to do some heavy field practice instead of course play and throw my whole bag on different lines and at different power levels to see where a cut could be made. I might make the cut on 1-3 high speed drivers because my low speed drivers can cover some of those understable slots when i power them and I usually end up throwing my Pd's and fairways the most.

And I love throwing my putters as my low mid-range shots, which makes me think about removing my least used Mid and drop my super OS driving putter.

Bag:

High Speed Drivers:
174 Champ Tern (Beat) - Moderately Understable Distance
175 Echo* DD2 (worn) - Straight Distance
167 C-line PD2 - Super Overstable Distance

Low Speed Drivers:
167 S-line PD - Overstable

Fairways:
171 DX Banshee (Super beat) - Super Understable/Roller Disc
174 Champ Banshee - Overstable (Backup Banshee)

Mids:

Putters:
Driving putters:
D-Line P2 175 (Beat) - Stable

Putting Putters:
2x D-line P2 174

Just my .02 on what I would bag out of all those molds if I was tyring to put together a slimmed down version of your bag. I have a similar problem wanting to carry a "tournament" set up when its not REALLY needed. I tried to combine molds when possible and eliminate the random ones thrown in but you have a few unique discs so its hard to take those out ex. beat to hell DX banshee.

Basically the exact same thing Aim said.

High Speed Drivers:

174 Champ Tern (Beat) - Moderately Understable Distance - These make great, dependable US distance drivers
175 Echo* DD2 (worn) - Straight Distance - One of my favorite distance drivers
167 C-line PD2 - Super Overstable Distance You need something to hold up to a stiff headwind

I'd stay away from the Air disc, it's too unpredictable. The boss overlaps with the Tern and the DD is pretty meh.

Low Speed Drivers:
175 S-line TD2 - Understable - Only if you need a roller disc
167 S-line PD - Overstable - Everyone needs an sPD in the bag for overstable control shots

The pPDs are kind of a funny disc, it's hard for me to get them to the stability I want and keep them there. I prefer something like a CD or Valkyrie for that shot. Also, they can overlap with fairway drivers a bit.

Fairways:
171 DX Banshee (Super beat) - Super Understable/Roller Disc - Only if you can't roll the TD2
174 Champ Banshee - Overstable

Mids:

I find with mids you can easily get by with an overstable and understable. If you need more turn, put a little more anhyzer on it. No need to carry too many discs when you can just as easily hit the same lines with a disc you already have.

Putters:
Driving putters:
C-Line P3 171 - Super Overstable These are my favorite Discmania driving putters. Mine weren't that overstable so maybe yours hasn't quite seasoned in and lost that "new disc overstability". Regardless these fit great in the hand and can handle a hard throw. I prefer C-line plastic for driving putters or long approaches through the woods, as they can take a beating.

When it comes to driving putters, just pick one. If you need something different, use a mid.

Putting Putters:
2x D-line P2 174

There are different theories on the perfect bag. I don't care about the number of molds as much as the number of discs. I practice hitting different lines with the same disc more than throwing the exact same line/shot with different discs. I like developing that sense of touch/feel for shots so I know just how much anhyzer or hyzer I need to put on a disc to make it go just the way I want.

Because of this, I often only carry two discs in a particular speed range, one OS and one US. I then just tweak the release angles and power a bit to cover a big range of shots.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much for the replies, I've always thought of everything everyone is saying but I guess I just had to hear it from some others to make it sit in my head. I've been working on some field practice and throwing different lines with my whole bag. This weekend I'll head to my favorite local courses with the above selected bag and see how I do.

The stingray was recently bagged about a month ago and i just haven't got the feel for it yet. I might roll with my beat in cobra and add in an older less beat cobra along with one md3 for my mid set as I've been using those for a long time now.

I also see the overlap on my Max D driver's and there's not really any need for that many. Having 1 for each stability is pretty much all you need, and even the courses around me are usually wooded and the open courses don't have many holes over 500 anyways. I can actually crush my P line PD just as far is not further than my speed 12+ drivers.

Putters take up a lot of room so there's not really any need for how many I have, ill stick with my 2 putting putters and for driving bag my cLine P3 and my beat in P2.

Thanks again everybody!