• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

I don't think it would take him long to figure out what works for him. Gotta remember that we're talking about the best of the best. Yeah people have preferences if you could throw anything you want, but these guys and gals are at the top. In other words, Discraft driver A and Innova driver B might be similar, but you don't think his skill set is good enough to make adjustments? In a blind taste test he might prefer B to A but he'll find a way to win with A.

Us ams would just complain about it instead of making the appropriate adjustments. I think the toughest part will be getting enough stuff seasoned in so he's got a good rotation going and learning the plastics as they wear.
I'm sure Nate and/or MJ have plenty of seasoned stuff laying around he can try.;)

Terry interviewing paul after the monster down the mountain asking him questions about where he will be going with a discraft banner conveniently in the background. Wonder if that is some sneaky foreshadowing. The interview with Heimburg was in a different spot too.

Edit: oh, and the banner to the left that was cut off in my screenshot was a DGA banner as well.

It'll be interesting to see in the coverage what he was throwing

Uh, discs matter, for the most part, manufactures don't. Don't whip out reptilian on me. You have to have a selection but not as deep as some would like to think.

I put together a complete Vibram bag, never thrown one before. Like 14 new to me. Went and shot my favorite course and shot 1 off my best.

Discs don't matter.

I know Paul will be fine but discs do matter to some degree. Why? Because of trust. Repetition and trust in the result is why a Pro reaches for a certain disc. With a new bag this will take time for Paul to adjust. The differences will be more pronounced than the day he threw his backups after his bag was stolen. However I am willing to bet that Paul (being ultra competitive) will practice a ton this off season to adjust before his first round. I would put money on him (3to2 odds actually) winning his first Tournament by at least 2 strokes.

I think during the middle of year Paul will fall off some as he expands into more choices and the previous ingrained muscle memory starts to overrule his new. Paul usually has his worst showings in the 2-3 months after the Memorial anyway. By the time Worlds comes back around he will be ready and even though he hasn't played his best at Ledgestone in the past I think he will likely win Worlds in 2019. The added significance of the event will drive Paul to greatness. I don't think he will win USDGC though. My money is on Sexton for the 2019 victory.

In your example you're looking about a sample size of one round. You don't know if you would have shot 1,2,3,4 strokes better than your previous best that day with your normal bag either.

For all you "discs don't matter, it's the archer not the arrow" people, think about this: if archery companies had the same tolerances in manufacturing arrows that disc manufacturers have, the best archer in the world wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a barn. Just think about people searching sporting goods stores for particular "good runs" of arrows. "Remember that one run Matthews did in 2003? Those were ALMOST straight! I mean, you only had to correct for the curve by like 3 feet or so with those. Amazing!" "I had this one arrow that I beat in to the perfect corkscrew so it would fly a little circle before hitting 5 feet to the left of where I was aiming. It was great!"

What I'm trying to say is, the archery analogy is flawed and breaks down very quickly when examined. Of COURSE in archery, the archer is infinitely more important than the arrows. That's because every professional level arrow is manufactured to be perfectly straight. As long as the arrow is straight and fletched correctly and has the right head on it, it will fly the way the archer expects every time, so it's all on the archer to get the shot right. Same thing with balls in ball golf. Professional golfers aren't worried about pulling out a ball that doesn't roll straight in a tournament. I don't know of any other sport than disc golf where the specific run and wear level on the equipment in use even at the pro level has such a huge impact on the outcome. You only ever know how an individual disc will fly when you throw that disc, and that flight could change after a single impact.

That's one reason our sport is so difficult and also interesting. Can you imagine what DG tournaments would look like if every golfer was given the EXACT same set of 7 discs that were manufactured to meet very small tolerances? What if they were given a new disc after every drive to replace the one they had just driven so that wear was not an issue? Then disc golf might actually resemble most other professional sports where every player is on pretty much equal footing equipment-wise. Then the archer/arrow analogy might actually make sense.

I have done some bow hunting but never competed in archery, but I have competed in 200 yard bench rest. If I have my hand loads and Carlos Hathcock has off the self green and white box ammo, I win.

Ball golf allows for customization of the club, where 1 gram of balance matters, yet we are forced to play with whatever came out of the mold that day, regardless of how off speck it is.

"Its the archer not the arrow" breaks down when it is exposed to reality. Allow customization, as long as the discs are legal, then the manufactor matters less.

I think McBeth is actually more accurate than an actual archer ��

And now we are talking about archery....

We did it already several posts back, this is the sequel.

Some of you guys are acting like Innova and Discraft are on different levels when it comes to consistency. I tend to agree with that, but probably in the opposite way by the way some of you are going on about this.

For anyone that thought this would turn into an archery dong wagging contest raise your hand.

Not me.

(I don't think I said it as funny as the tool and die comments from previously but I tried ...:🤪😎)

But what shoes were they wearing? It's gotta be the shoes!

If we talk about sustaining the company then I completely agree with you; I'd argue though that he has enough recognition right now to get the brand off the ground, but to sustain it he's got to keep playing at a high level. Dude already has the connections in place (Supreme Flight John, Ian with CCDG etc) to really get the business right, but to promote it correctly he's got to stay at a high level. But if he stays at a high level I can definitely see his brand becoming the Jumpman of disc golf.

I haven't been following this thread from the beginning but sweet!

Let me be that super annoying, PC guy, but I can see your experiences and share my own. For me, I think it depends on the tooling. At the garden hose plant they just ran it flat out and didn't really care as much because it was low tech. Our tooling supplier at the other plant was a father/son shop which was very small. It's really going to depend on the shop and the process overall, at least in my experience.

And again, this is why you start this brand with a company who already manufactures discs, such as Discraft, Innova, Lat64, Gateway etc. they already have the injection machines, the machine shop relationships, and the knowledge on how to get a mold up and running on a machine. Paul just brings in his disc design thoughts, his marketing and talent, and his business relationships. Overall, it'll be a ton of work for him and I'd expect him to struggle some in the early days because of all the distractions, but if he can stay focused and compete and delegate the business decisions he should, I think he can be successful with it.

And one final note that's thread drifting; I'd say some of the reasons we have all these specific runs and 3-line v 2-like etc is both the natural process variation and also the self-taught sort of QC and process side. I'd be super interested, as an industrial engineer grad, to see some SPC charts on the process capability our manufacturers in the sport have

The nerd In me would enjoy seeing disc manufacturers spc data as well.