• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 PDGA Champions Cup, April 20-23

Anyway, started this thread to mention that it looks like they've made a couple of course changes to WR Jackson on holes 14 and 18: https://www.pdga.com/news/grandstand-finish. Both going from par-5s to par-4s, with their MPO tee and basket (respectively) pushed out into the big open field where players warm up.

My gut reaction is that I don't like the changes, and it's a matter of course design caving to spectating goals. However, I could be swayed once I actually see the new pad placements on coverage.

Anyway, started this thread to mention that it looks like they've made a couple of course changes to WR Jackson on holes 14 and 18: https://www.pdga.com/news/grandstand-finish. Both going from par-5s to par-4s, with their MPO tee and basket (respectively) pushed out into the big open field where players warm up.

My gut reaction is that I don't like the changes, and it's a matter of course design caving to spectating goals. However, I could be swayed once I actually see the new pad placements on coverage.
It wasn't clear whether those changes were permanent or just alternates for tournament play.

It wasn't clear whether those changes were permanent or just alternates for tournament play.

Not sure where hole 14's tee used to be but it appeared like it has been moved back, closer to 18's old basket location. So my guess is it's probably permanent. 18's basket was out in the open on Tuesday though. I'd be surprised if this isn't permanent.

Any updates on the supposed large number of players still wait listed?

I heard they are offering a play-in qualifying opportunity, as USDGC does, for 8 more MPO and 4 more FPO spots.

I heard they are offering a play-in qualifying opportunity, as USDGC does, for 8 more MPO and 4 more FPO spots.

Pretty sad that James Conrad, among several other top names, has to play games like this.

I heard registration was filled within minutes. Apparently even being a recent World Champ means squat.

Pretty sad that James Conrad, among several other top names, has to play games like this.

I heard registration was filled within minutes. Apparently even being a recent World Champ means squat.

He and other 1020+ rated players had days to register before registration opened more broadly. He had plenty of time to register which he decided not to take advantage of.

He and other 1020+ rated players had days to register before registration opened more broadly. He had plenty of time to register which he decided not to take advantage of.

I am not so quick to blame the player when there are multiple top players who are not currently registered. One or two only, then yeah, probably on the players. Many? Not so clear cut. I instead blame poor communication from the PDGA.

I would be curious to hear or read direct comments from some of the players involved as to how this happened.

Not to mention, this is a major in which some top players may not be able to play in lieu of 980 rated players. Is it time to introduce tour cards or something similar?

Current waitlist, per discgolfscene, hard to blame all this on the players:

1 Casey White 81739 MPO
2 Evan Scott 89394 MPO
3 Tim Barham 53332 MPO
4 Luke Humphries 69424 MPO
5 Noah Meintsma 56555 MPO
6 Matt Dollar 26045 MPO
7 Clint Calvin 84958 MPO
8 Nate Perkins 65737 MPO
9 Matt Hammersten 81781 MPO
10 Zach Arlinghaus 65266 MPO
11 James Conrad 17295 MPO
12 Chandler Fry 25541 MPO
13 Austin Hannum 68835 MPO
14 Kevin Jones 41760 MPO
15 Andrew Presnell 63765 MPO
16 Dylan Horst 32599 MPO
17 Nathan Johnson 138355 MPO
18 William Hannu 78136 MPO
19 Ben Wolff 144530 MPO
20 Owen McCall 120343 MPO
21 Tyler Wozniak 92805 MPO
22 Garrett Gurthie 13864 MPO
23 Max Regitnig 27812 MPO
24 Andrew Marwede 75590 MPO
25 Ezra Aderhold 121715 MPO
26 Aaron Gossage 35449 MPO

I am not so quick to blame the player when there are multiple top players who are not currently registered. One or two only, then yeah, probably on the players. Many? Not so clear cut. I instead blame poor communication from the PDGA.

I would be curious to hear or read direct comments from some of the players involved as to how this happened.

Not to mention, this is a major in which some top players may not be able to play in lieu of 980 rated players. Is it time to introduce tour cards or something similar?

There is a tour card. This is not included as it's not a Pro Tour elite or silver series event.

I mean, if there was tiered registration and there is actually 980 rated players currently registered to play, then yes, it is the player's fault for not registering on time.

I calculated that if all the players on the wait list were allowed to play, there would be about a one in 16 chance that one of them would be the winner of the event.

why is it hard to blame all this on the players?

Because there are too many professionals in the current wait list whose livelihood depends on signing up for big events, especially majors. I imagine they know how to sign up for tournaments. So the fact that SO many did not, makes me think the blame may be at least partially elsewhere.

Does anyone here really think ALL these top players thought of a major as an afterthought?

A big reason for the changes is because hole 14's tee is behind hole 1's tee and 18's basket. It's annoying to have an errant drive hit 1's tee or 18's green at high speed. Players exiting 18 had to peek around the corner to make sure no one was driving on 14. Players on 14 had to wait for 1 to finish teeing. The best change for 14's tee is to move it shorter and right, which now puts it near interference with 18's green/fairway. Players transitioning from 13 to 14 would have to sneak past 18's green. So 18 was moved to the field, out of the way of 14, and a better viewing experience for spectators.
And at least for CC, players don't warm up on that field. They warm up on the other side of Warner next to their parking area.

There's a few other minor changes (at least for FPO) to make scoring better.

Because there are too many professionals in the current wait list whose livelihood depends on signing up for big events, especially majors. I imagine they know how to sign up for tournaments. So the fact that SO many did not, makes me think the blame may be at least partially elsewhere.

Does anyone here really think ALL these top players thought of a major as an afterthought?

i dont care either way mate

Latest posts