• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] 3 or 4 Discs for my Dad

Mrcpa

Bogey Member
I want to get my dad into the sport so we can spend more time together. He's never played before. Any suggestions on a set for him? He'd probably have a decent arm, he's been a union construction painter for years so I know his arms are probably decent size.

I want to get my dad into the sport so we can spend more time together. He's never played before. Any suggestions on a set for him? He'd probably have a decent arm, he's been a union construction painter for years so I know his arms are probably decent size.

I would suggest the Innova Champion 4-disc starter set. It sounds like he can handle those discs, and with you showing him the ropes he'll get into it all the easier.

My opinion

What ever putter he is comfortable with
A cobra or mako3
Pro leopard
And if you want him to have a faster driver a champ or star beast would be good

You probably could get away with just a mako3 or Z buzz and a putter until he gets better control. Faster is not always better.

I'm actually pretty impressed by the Lat64 Senior Starter Set $27.99 at Disc Baron.

6803-2.jpg

The Latitude 64 Disc Golf Serior Set comes with everything an experienced disc golfer needs to play disc golf - a putter, a mid-range, and a driver. Disc weights and colors will vary. Most disc golf senior sets will come with discs that are 170g or heavier.

Discs Included:

Dynamic Discs Retro Fury (fairway driver)
Dynamic Discs Retro Claymore (mid-range)
Dynamic Discs Retro Mercy (putter)

Or the Dynamic Starter set w/ bag for $35.99 at Infinite.

The Dynamic Discs Prime Starter Set with bag is a simple, way to get everything you need to get started in disc golf in one purchase, and makes for a great gift.

This packaged set includes:

Driver: Dynamic Discs Witness
Midrange: Dynamic Discs Truth
Putter: Dynamic Discs Judge
Bag: Dynamic Discs Cadet Bag (Holds up to 11 Discs)

Last edited:
There are all sorts of starter set on Amazon, but I typically see the three 3 disc DX starter box sets from Innova w/ Aviar, Shark, Leopard. All 150 g weight. 150s might be too light but these are all great starter molds. If you haven't already collected a box of extra discs it's the cheapest way to start.

I've seen 3 disc Champion box sets but I don't remember what's in them.

I'm taking my uncle out for his first round in a couple weeks. Bringing Pures, Aviars, Polecats, Star Wedge, beat DX Leopard and DX Stingray.

What do you have available?
If it is mostly Innova, then:
Full weight (170ish) R-pro Polecat, DX Shark, and DX Cobra;
a DX Teebird, weight from mid 160s to low 170s.
If you can get Discraft, swap out a Pro-D Buzzz for the Cobra.
If you can get a DGA Blowfly, you might swap that out for the Polecat.

All of that is based on the assumption that he has good arm strength. If he only has middlin' arm strength, go with lower weights for all but the putter, and change the driver to a Leopard.
If he is really strong and picks it up quick, a DX Viking or Star Valkyrie, weight from mid 160s to low 170s, might work for him.

Well, here comes the monkey wrench into the thread. An MVP Relay, Axis, and a Gateway Wizard would be an excellent three disc starter pack. I bag all three, and would be quite comfortable putting them in a first timers hands. I would get all of them at 173 grams.

MVP relay or westside underworld are what I always give beginners for drivers. Discraft buzzz or westside tursas for mid. Gateway shaman or wizard for putting. Usually goes well.