• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

30 years between tournaments.

the3dwizard

Hoping you can help an old man out. I started playing in the '90's and then stopped due to various reasons, work, family, etc. Just recently got back into it and plan to make it part of my retirement plan.

I played in a tournament the other day and was thoroughly crushed. Lot's of areas to work on but having trouble figuring out the backhand. Only getting putters out about 170 ft and control drivers to about 200-250 ft. I watch all the videos but things aren't clicking. I think the first thing I need to figure out how to stop the dipping in the swing.

Thanks,

Side
https://youtu.be/Sbyh89BowoI
Back
https://youtu.be/zoQAji19LhM

Last edited:
Your posture and balance needs work.

You are extending your spine and getting your body/belly in the way of your swing, like (. Note how your head/shoulders are back toward the east tee behind your knees.

Note how my shoulders/chest/head are more bent over knees/disc toward west tee and giving myself room/belly out of the way to swing thru my center of mass/gravity, like ).

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 2.55.00 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 2.55.00 AM.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 154
Finally think I have made enough progress to seek some help. I think my posture is better overall. Feel like I am more over my toes, also not falling backwards like I used to. It looks like I still lean away from the target a bit. So working on that and trying to be smoother.

I finally was able to make progress by repeating some motions in a mirror along with walking through the steps in slow motion, stopping at points to check my body position. Kind of like learning the steps to a dance before actually turn on the music.

Thanks!

Notice your head and body are pitched & tilted away from the target, whereas McCray and Feldberg have their head and body pitched aggressively toward the target

I might suggest taking the Battering Ram drill, then taking the Ram swing into your x-step. You want that leading shoulder to feel more like the posture you would be in to shovel snow as you march the ram forward. It'll feel very different from your walkthrough there.

ICWiaCJ.png

Yeah, somewhat better. Your left foot is stepping in the way of your right foot and you drift too leftward/westward on the tee. Note how tangled/twisted your legs are compared to GG free wheeling out of the way of each other.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 9.24.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 9.24.36 PM.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 107

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 12.20.06 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 12.20.06 AM.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 83
I was working on approach shots today. I threw one from 170 feet and it just felt right, hard to describe but I hadn't had a feeling like that before on a throw. It did feel like it took less effort. To top it off it skipped under the basket, it was parked. The one I threw right before as about 25 ft short. Chased that feeling the rest of the session.

Long shot but hoping someone could help identify the differences so I could find the feeling again. Unfortunately I only have one camera angle. The video is a side by side of each throw. The one on the right is the "good feeling throw' and the one on the left was the throw before. One thing I think is the off arm in the good throw felt more engaged in the following through so wondering if that explains the difference in my finish.

Thanks!

Pig approach shot side by side
https://youtu.be/MfalmZb0VhQ

Slow Mo
https://youtu.be/L66mNIeb1Sw

I think you led slightly better with your body mass on the right. You appear to be throwing more with your arm on the left.

I would keep working on the horse stance issue & swivel stairs SW pointed out. You're still shifting a bit "from in front" there. This little move is a great learning aid:
https://youtu.be/0CSHqnYNijw?t=272

Probably also a good time to work on more posture stuff. Notice how you've got more "s curve" in your spine and your rear leg gets too extended heading into the plant as you tip rather than drop from the rear leg. Your rear arm is also trailing behind rather than collecting in & forward to help lead the swing.

Door frame drill is very good at retooling this.

Thanks for taking the time to provide a detailed response! A lot for me to unpack and this form change doesn't come easy for me so I appreciate yours and SW's feedback.

Cheers!

I was working on approach shots today. I threw one from 170 feet and it just felt right, hard to describe but I hadn't had a feeling like that before on a throw. It did feel like it took less effort. To top it off it skipped under the basket, it was parked. The one I threw right before as about 25 ft short. Chased that feeling the rest of the session.

Hard to really tell from that camera angle but I recently had been having a struggle with my own approach shots. At first I thought it was a disc issue and then thought maybe it was just a lack of practice. But the other day I figured out that it was actually an angle issue.

For me, I need to throw my approach shots (usually) with the nose up so they float into the basket and then sit. I realized that I wasn't doing a good job of controlling that nose angle and was throwing more flat or nose down which was causing my upshots to constantly come up shorter than I expected.

Not sure if this is your issue but might be something to consider and play around with.

Thanks for the insight. I was trying to practice Uli's approach to approach shots. :D Trying to create a nose up floaty shot (nose up) that sits when it lands. Was also trying to keep my eye on the basket/line instead of turning away. All of that is much harder to get right. Still need more practice.

Slow going but I think I have made some progress on some of the issues mentioned above. I certainly appreciate the feedback so far and just wondering what else to work on.

This video is a Roc3 which went about 300 ft, (full disclosure the field sits about 5 ft lower than the parking lot). Getting Valkyries to 340-350 on a semi-regular basis. Not necessarily looking for a lot more distance right now but trying to focus more on consistency and accuracy.

Normal Speed

Qtr Speed