• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

300’ barrier

One hand windmill. Your feet may stay more grounded to maintain center. You can also elephant walk it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 2.16.48 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 2.16.48 AM.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 106
In a pretty good slump right now, which is probably why I am bouncing from drill to drill. Did an hour of field work yesterday, not pretty.

I've been trying to keep good posture, but as pointed out by RC, many times this turns into me simply standing straight up instead of staying in an athletic position.

At the end of the day, I can see the basically the same issue/s in the different drills and throws...I'm tipping and throwing my upper body forward/back. Trouble is when I try to move my lower body first, my spine angle or tilt looks and feels way off. Really sorry y'all have to continue watching the same thing week after week after week.

You really don´t have to think about moving your lower body, if you are in an athletic position they are active.

And whats going on in your head there, what are you doing ? I mean sure it´s a drill but it still should have intent. Now you are trying to move your hips, swing a hammer and hold a hockey stick. When it should be "Imma throw this in to that spot". If your brain says "nope, cant throw it there this way" just listen to it and make adjustments.

Not sure I'd combine the hammer with the swim stick. The heavy weight will want to swing ahead instead of holding it back while driving body forward with everything moving more together.

Roger. I was watching PBQ work on that right before a few light bulbs went off so I gave it a shot.

I hear what RC is saying, I just...I like to think I'm fairly athletic (I could actually play a pretty good goalie/hockey). I just feel more crossed up/uncoordinated the past several months than ever.

And whats going on in your head there, what are you doing ? I mean sure it´s a drill but it still should have intent. Now you are trying to move your hips, swing a hammer and hold a hockey stick. When it should be "Imma throw this in to that spot". If your brain says "nope, cant throw it there this way" just listen to it and make adjustments.

I mean I certainly can throw a hammer to a spot within a certain range, it's just not done correctly...right? Agree that I have too much in my head right now. My difficulty is getting feedback both on position, and on feel, and then I lean way more towards focusing on positions when I practice. Sounds like you're saying this mindset is holding me back

Here is a simple drill for you. Pick a target that you can comfortably reach, throw short of it, at it and past it. Goal is to achive this with minimal strain. Standstill or with a run up. Throw that with a hammer or a disc. Take a video of yourself doing it the first day and say after a week. You can do as many reps as you want but I would suggest stopping the second you have invasive thoughts of body positioning and you lose focus on the target.

Unpopular opinion;

Try some x steps out. All but one of my biggest breakthroughs came with x-steps. Something about the momentum and moving parts actually helped me be loose and feel the weight/leverage.

In a pretty good slump right now, which is probably why I am bouncing from drill to drill. Did an hour of field work yesterday, not pretty.

I've been trying to keep good posture, but as pointed out by RC, many times this turns into me simply standing straight up instead of staying in an athletic position.

At the end of the day, I can see the basically the same issue/s in the different drills and throws...I'm tipping and throwing my upper body forward/back. Trouble is when I try to move my lower body first, my spine angle or tilt looks and feels way off. Really sorry y'all have to continue watching the same thing week after week after week.

I wouldn't think of it as upper and lower body. Think of it as your body as a whole unit. Exaggerate what you perceive to be right or wrong, too far forward, too far back. Loose arm, tight arm, lats disengaged, lats engaged, disc really far away, disc closer etc etc. Ultimately this is how I figured out things. Like I had a huge breakthrough 2 months ago and slowly lost it. What changed? Literally only my momentum/x step speed. That was enough to through the chain off.

Only just realized this last night after watching a few hundred hours of old clips thinking "what was I doing different here?"

I would say that the "power pocket" led me down the wrong path for quite some time. Throw the disc target ward different ways, extended out, cut off, rotation ally, windmills/pendulumully. I think once you feel the different ways it's easier to understand the right way. I will make a video soon detailing my journey once I'm locked in consistently. Keep at it man! You got this.

Some self reflection...

I needed to hear what SW & RC said yesterday. Passed my two year form anniversary last week, combine that with a lengthy slump, and I ended up like Tin Cup wearing every training aid to get his swing back.

I'm going to keep things simple, and above all else, focus on feel. I will strive to be task oriented and feel the best way to do things. Going to toss some hammers to a spot and report back.

Appreciate it gents. Thank you

I would say that the "power pocket" led me down the wrong path for quite some time.

Guilty, guilty, guilty...a million times guilty. I've now heard you say this, RC and I think Drake E also. Time for me to start listening...

I sincerely appreciate the advice, and encouragement. Thank you.

I ended up like Tin Cup wearing every training aid to get his swing back.

I'm going to keep things simple, and above all else, focus on feel. I will strive to be task oriented and feel the best way to do things. Going to toss some hammers to a spot and report back.

Appreciate it gents. Thank you
I almost posted that Tin Cup part, lol.

Close your eyes and swing relaxed and fluid and feel the swing weight vs your dynamic posture/balance/center.

Can you do the MC Hammer crossovers and spins and side steps, and Ciara 2 step crossovers?

I used to find the dancing gifs and videos funny but they really are perfect for what the movement is like. It's like a lil dance throw! It's very hard to dance stiff and robotic, much easier to flow and be rubbery

Here is a simple drill for you. Pick a target that you can comfortably reach, throw short of it, at it and past it. Goal is to achive this with minimal strain. Standstill or with a run up. Throw that with a hammer or a disc. Take a video of yourself doing it the first day and say after a week. You can do as many reps as you want but I would suggest stopping the second you have invasive thoughts of body positioning and you lose focus on the target.

RC I always appreciate you chiming in and helping to push me in the right direction I put a lot of concentration into simply throwing to a point with feel, and not worrying about specific body positions. If I didn't make it to my spot (long/short, left/right) I just tried to adjust my body/hit point for the next throw. Looking back at the videos, my throw looks relatively the same between the days.

One last takeaway from both videos....I just look fast. When I attempt to go slower, I feel like gravity forces me to speed up...otherwise I just end up using my arm to guide the disc. Not sure if what I am saying makes any sense :confused:

I almost posted that Tin Cup part, lol.

Close your eyes and swing relaxed and fluid and feel the swing weight vs your dynamic posture/balance/center.

Can you do the MC Hammer crossovers and spins and side steps, and Ciara 2 step crossovers?

I can do the Ciara 2 step, but haven't spent any time/choreography with the MC Hammer crossover.

I'm not generally an excuse maker, but focusing on feel is one of the hardest things for me. According to my ortho, my right knee is that of an 75 year old with significant arthritis stemming from 04' ACL reconstruction. I don't think the limited range of motion is hindering me, but wonder if the daily dull/moderate ache detracts from what you all are trying to get me to feel??? A TKR is in my not so distant future...

I realize nobody should be giving me, nor am I asking for health advice. I'm just trying to gauge how much of a roadblock this arthritis could be to "the move" (if any).

RC I always appreciate you chiming in and helping to push me in the right direction I put a lot of concentration into simply throwing to a point with feel, and not worrying about specific body positions. If I didn't make it to my spot (long/short, left/right) I just tried to adjust my body/hit point for the next throw. Looking back at the videos, my throw looks relatively the same between the days.

One last takeaway from both videos....I just look fast. When I attempt to go slower, I feel like gravity forces me to speed up...otherwise I just end up using my arm to guide the disc. Not sure if what I am saying makes any sense :confused:

2nd vid looks way better! Now allow your shoulder to keep swinging more forward or get more pulled forward - like hammer is pulling your center thru your shoulder out to the target. This might "feel" over the top to you, but feel ain't always real.

I can do the Ciara 2 step, but haven't spent any time/choreography with the MC Hammer crossover.

I'm not generally an excuse maker, but focusing on feel is one of the hardest things for me. According to my ortho, my right knee is that of an 75 year old with significant arthritis stemming from 04' ACL reconstruction. I don't think the limited range of motion is hindering me, but wonder if the daily dull/moderate ache detracts from what you all are trying to get me to feel??? A TKR is in my not so distant future...

I realize nobody should be giving me, nor am I asking for health advice. I'm just trying to gauge how much of a roadblock this arthritis could be to "the move" (if any).
If you can still dance then it's probably more psychological than physical.

How do you learn to dance to the rhythm of a song?

Latest posts