• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

4 disc for a beginner

money 21

* Ace Member *
I gave a friend a 4 disc set today to get started playing.
A 167 z wildcat, 172 e saber, a champ panther 166, and a pro d focus 175. He is 35 and very athletic. Two question what do you think of this setup and what 4 disc would you gve someone to start?

P.s. I went with higher end plastic because the local courses tree infested and I have personally ruined d plastic in a single round.

I'm not familiar with those discs except for the focus.

But if it had to be 4 discs I'd go: whatever putter here, star/champ leopard 164-169g, 170g opto fuse, and a 170g 12x champ firebird. Boom.

money 21 said:
I gave a friend a 4 disc set today to get started playing.
A 167 z wildcat, 172 e saber, a champ panther 166, and a pro d focus 175. He is 35 and very athletic. Two question what do you think of this setup and what 4 disc would you gve someone to start?

P.s. I went with higher end plastic because the local courses tree infested and I have personally ruined d plastic in a single round.

Sounds like a great beginner set in premium plastic. Champ Panther is really nice.

In a 4-disc beginner set in durable plastics for an athletic 35 yr old guy I would pick something like Grip Pure, Esp Buzzz and 2 Esp XLs. Having two of the same makes practicing more fun (...and more effective too I would guess).

Isn't wildcat and saber both understable? If so, I'd change one them to a slow stable driver (e.g. Teebird). Panther's a fine all-around disc, but if he's very athletic I fear he might easily overpower a 166g midrange. I had one weighting 175g, gave it to a friend who had never played dg. He liked it a lot.

The putter's a good one for beginner (or anyone).

Ditch the drivers and let him use the Panther for a month or so. If he "overpowers" the Panther he is learning how to throw incorrectly. I really don't know what a new player would do with any driver.

chainsmoker said:
I really don't know what a new player would do with any driver.

True. It's just that everybody wants to throw a this-goes-super-far disc. So if there's got to be a driver, then I'd give one understable and one stable or then only an understable driver and one midrange that can handle winds (a lightweight Panther can't).

...Hell, one correction: at least I can't handle headwind with a Panther, but I'm a noob...

the z wildcat is a 1.5 stblity rating. Also these were 4 discs I had on hand. just wanted to get some ideas if I can convert other friends. Would a teebird and a wasp be a good addition for the 4 I all ready listed.
slowarm said:
Isn't wildcat and saber both understable? If so, I'd change one them to a slow stable driver (e.g. Teebird). Panther's a fine all-around disc, but if he's very athletic I fear he might easily overpower a 166g midrange. I had one weighting 175g, gave it to a friend who had never played dg. He liked it a lot.

The putter's a good one for beginner (or anyone).

wouldn't be bad, but the teebirrd and wildcat may overlap some. I would see where he goes with those. If he is throwing well a disc like a Champ Starfire or a S-PD would probably be a better addition, a disc that will handle mod overstable/distance/control roles.

I was just thinking about this today. I'd probably go with just 3.
A putter- I'd say a SS Wizard but I really don't think it matters at all. Any of the current crop of putters would be fine.
a versatile mid range- I'd say a KC Roc-but a Buzz or Panther would be fine
Fairway driver type - Lat 64 River - Not really any other recommendation. Every beginner I give this to loves it, as do most great players.

aviar
mid: esp buzz
understable fairway: Star leopard
stable fairway: Star Teebird.

these are great discs for beginners and can handle tree smacks. i would suggest a shark or roc but its easier to find premium buzzes rather than rocs or sharks. star discs also break in really nicely.

Millenium JLS/Star TL - Straight driver
Z Xpress - Understable driver
Z Comet - Great mid to learn how to thrown anhyzers, as well as hyzer flips when you progress
Magnet/Magic - All around good putters

If I was going to put together a bag for a beginner that's exactly what I'd stick in there. Predictable drivers and mid with lots of glide and controlability that also help show what you did/were doing wrong. Great discs for getting a bit of finesse on your throws as well.

I have a buddy who just started playing a little over a month ago. He's a southpaw and he picked up 5 discs to start out with.

172 Warlock
171 X Comet
172 Champ Spider
169 Champ Teebird
171 Champ RR

He's struggling with the teebird and rr a lot (bad form... but he's working on it), but he's been surprisingly consistent with the comet and spider. He throws the comet (lhbh) out to roughly the 300' range, and he flicks (lhfh) the spider damn near the same. I've never thrown a spider before, but it seems to hold whatever release angle he puts on it throughout the whole flight.