• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

5-disc Battle Golf

Spike said:
Ryan C said:
I think Spiders would be an excellent disc for this kind of thing. They are pretty much between mid and putter speed. When I'm throwing consistently and well, they are always landing right between my current putter driver and my buzzz. They are even slow and straight enough that I could probably putt with them without sacrificing too much. I would take a spider over a buzzz as a makeshift putter.
You're absolutely right. Spider would do a lot of good inside 220 ft, even putting.
there is a pro in madison that putts with a spider, and does so extremely well. sorry, i kinda picked this thread up from the dust but it was linked from another and it seemed pretty cool...

spiders are the best all around disc ever. If i could only have 1 disc for the rest of my life it would be a champ gummy spider. That is all

This is a great idea. In my ball golf league we'd regularly have 2-club tournaments, but that didn't have the element (and strategy behind) winning and losing discs (clubs). I can't wait to try this! Here's what I'd bring:

Soft Magnet

Z Buzzz (which I can putt with also)
Pro Leopard
Axis

ProD-XL

Yeah I will have to introduce this to our regular Thursday round for a disc. I finally got a mid and putter only round for dubs. Time to step up the challenge.

Wizard SSS
Wizard HPP
Buzzz Z
Zone
Teebird

Jaysus said:
Jaysus said:
soft Warlock
med Wizard
dx Roc
dx Roc
KC Roc

Yay! I won this time... and it only took me 6 holes - lol.

After seeing how icy the course was, I ditched 2 Rocs for 2 Teebirds thinking that I could use them for some stand still flick shots.

UPDATE: Played again last night ad had another winning combination in my bag: 2 Wizards and 3 Buzzzes

The Wizards were pretty much the same, in fact, I am working on making the one a back up to the other. I had 2 Z Buzzzes (178 and 171), and I had a totally super awesome Bells ESP Buzzz (171). It worked out well for me, it was a muddy night so I was able to walk up to and toss a clean disc with out really thinking about it ;)

Guy I played against rolled with 2 Challengers, 2 Buzzzes and a Stalker. After 7 holes, I had him down to one disc, but it took me 11 to finish him off.

Such a fun game, and it was useful for me as I have been a Roc thrower for a long time, but am pretty sure I am switching to the Buzzs for now.

How would you make this into a game with 3 people?
Tried it out this afternoon carrying over when nobody won/lost the hole.
It seemed great until someone finally does win out and collects 4 discs in one go.

Pro D Challenger
2 ESP Zones
2 Ch-Glo Firebirds

This is if we're specifically talking my original home course.

Up here where I live now, the two private courses at work - I'd probably go with the Bird-Zone-Challenger again on the lower course. On the upper course I'd swap it up to... 2 Challengers, 1 CryZtal Buzzz, 2 Firebirds.

This sounds like fun. I would probably play:
Ion
Ion
cyclone
Cyclone
Cyclone

The two discs I can do anything with. This way losing a disc or two wouldn't hinder me too much.

Cyclone instead of pred or comet cause cyclones cover mid and driver duties well. Power down well and all.

Jaysus said:
Jaysus said:
Jaysus said:
soft Warlock
med Wizard
dx Roc
dx Roc
KC Roc

Yay! I won this time... and it only took me 6 holes - lol.

After seeing how icy the course was, I ditched 2 Rocs for 2 Teebirds thinking that I could use them for some stand still flick shots.

UPDATE: Played again last night ad had another winning combination in my bag: 2 Wizards and 3 Buzzzes

Update: I won again last night! I am 2 for 2 with this setup now (well close to this set up). The only difference is that I subbed out the heavy z Buzzz for an brand new ESP Meteor that I just got and had not thrown yet.

The 1st three holes were rough for me (I even picked the hole we started on). 2 of the 1st 3 holes were birdie holes that I bogied, and on the the 3rd my opponent missed the mando, but I still couldn't beat him :(

So I was down 2 discs quick before coming back and winning with a few holes to spare. Good times.

I finally talked someone into playing this today and had a lot of fun.
I thought i had my bag figured out with a 2challenger, 2wasp, & clone setup but he pulled a fast one and pickes a short course, bandamer in ann arbor, so i went with 2 challengers, magnet, & 2 comets vs his challenger, buzzz, wasp, drone, meteor.

He started off well taking my heavy challenger and rr comet, essentially my only discs with some overatability. I came back, taking his only putter; being a very aggressive spin putter, this lead to him falling apart on a hilled green.

Second rd i went 2 challengers, 2 comets, & swaped the magnet for a clone, figuring i could gain a lil distance and power down for a lil overstability. He went 2 challengers, wasp, buzzz, meteor.
I took his wasp, then buzzz but eventually tied in number of discs due to me trying to get greedy with the clone.

Not only was this a ton of fun but i learned a weakness in my game, powering down.
Thank you :)

i'd like to dig this thread out from way back when. but i'd have to go with:
destroyer
teebird
predator
roc
wizard

My setup would change from course to course and according to the weather conditions despite trying to find discs that work well in both calm and stormy conditions. With 5 discs only people should be detailing the most used core discs of the bag anyway. So if it ain't raining opaque 168 soft Ion for putts, varying beefier driving putter for different flight paths, varying due to fairway shapes, grip tackiness (cold, wet), on some courses Star Aviar P&A for tighter right bends than the Ion, Buzzz/Coyote or both if Aviar doesn't make it, Surge SS (Beasts grew flippier for me over the winter storage or power increase?), Blizzard Boss 155. Those are the ones i'd choose from so to get the drivers i'd need to ditch the Aviar first but on my home course i don't need drivers at all for any other than one shot. There Boss would be substituted for a Gator. Which exact setup it would be has several combinations for any given time of day per course which would make listing the combos meaningless.

Spike said:
You may want to try the opposite though: Choose what 3 discs (different ones) your opponent has to use!

Optomizer, Epic, beat-to-crap Maximizer. :lol:

Battle Golf bag:
Ibex
Ridge
Sole (2)
Summit

Alexx said:
Do you get to choose which discs you give up or do they choose?

Part of the strategy is choosing which discs to take from your opponent ;)

That being said, if you are just playing with friends the two of you could do it however you want.

Latest posts