• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A little disappointed

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'm not here to put up a big stink (yet), just curious to what others think.

Justin Trails ran a promotion on their disc golf facebook page, "write a review on our courses and share this post to be entered to win a night in the teepee, drawing on Feb. 5" Now I have pretty much given up on writing reviews for no particular reason. But I looked into it, and I knew nobody else had written a review, so if I did this, it would pretty much be a given that I win right?

So I went ahead and wrote my reviews of the two courses, and waited for the "drawing" of my name at noon on Monday. No word, so I asked "Who won" their response was "well we didn't get enough reviews, so we're going to run this promotion until we get at least 10 reviews.

Well ****. Do I go on an internet message board and make a stink about it? Do I suck it up and take it as it is. Do I flame them on facebook. Do I go back and drop my reviews a couple points and say this place is a lying sack of poo.

It's really not a huge deal, like I said I'm "a little disappointed" not "flaming angry" I was looking forward to a free night in a teepee (worth what, $40 maybe? I'm not even sure what this costs) it would have been a fun date weekend with mandabear, camping in a teepee with some disc golf on a couple of my favorite courses, probably still pay for breakfast in the lodge and maybe even have to pay the disc golf fee. My victory was a given until they said "Haha, just kidding" :\

I personally don't do fb and don't do course reviews...but someone's word IS their word (doesn't matter where or about what). You have a right to feel "a bit disappointed" and by mentioning it in the way you are here (not flaming at all...just stating the situation) you're coming across as quite a bit "higher shelf" than they. Props.

They are missing the forest for the trees in that bad news about a company should be the thing the company should always try to avoid. They should have given you the prize --- hoping you would in turn brag about how great it was on social media --- and then could re-run the drawing with necessary caveats if they so desire.

Doesn't sound like a well-run company based on what you've said.

****ty practice, but not quite worth flaming over.

If karma serves, you will win the drawing anyway.

What I would be more concerned about is not hitting 10 reviews and the drawing never happening. If the drawing never happens, that would be worth flaming over.

Insist that they follow through. Let them know you'll give them good press (obviously they need it) complete with pics and how good a time you had. They're missing a business opportunity by not offering a relatively free service. After all, what would it cost them? Cleaning the teepee and washing the sheets... come on. This is why new businesses fail. They forget they're doing it for the customer.

I think Eegor's got the right idea.

As others said, this is a bad business / PR move on their part. Assuming they got 10+ reviews, they still woulda had to "pony up" the free night, so failing to do so for just one review seems petty.

They're just butt hurt they didn't get more reviews.

I wouldn't get all militant with it yet, but...

You might point out that you have more than a few friends of your own, and that changing the parameters of the contest after the fact is a bad look. Let them know they still have a chance to salvage this before you go viral.

Insist that they follow through. Let them know you'll give them good press (obviously they need it) complete with pics and how good a time you had. They're missing a business opportunity by not offering a relatively free service. After all, what would it cost them? Cleaning the teepee and washing the sheets... come on. This is why new businesses fail. They forget they're doing it for the customer.

This seems like a good approach. I would say be careful if you decide to make a bit more of a stink about it, because some people have a way of turning a situation around to make you look like the bad guy, even though you are in the right. Disregard that if this course is in no way local to you.

I'm pretty sure that if Brad's wife had put an entry in their drawing, she wouldn't have won either. :\

Facebook......really just a bunch of made up drama. I personally have an axiom of not getting too bunched up about free stuff.....potential, delivered or lost.

I think Eegor's got the right idea.

As others said, this is a bad business / PR move on their part. Assuming they got 10+ reviews, they still woulda had to "pony up" the free night, so failing to do so for just one review seems petty.

They're just butt hurt they didn't get more reviews.

I wouldn't get all militant with it yet, but...

You might point out that you have more than a few friends of your own, and that changing the parameters of the contest after the fact is a bad look. Let them know they still have a chance to salvage this before you go viral.

Hmm ... promotion sponsored by Kilgus, maybe?

just hearing this screams shady to me

im never going to give any business to j trails

Justin Trails is kind of in the middle of nowhere.

Last time I was there, beyond the lodge area, they didn't seem to have much of a business plan or help for that matter.

I mean we had to help fix the guy's mower because he was too old and didn't have the muscle strength.

While this does seem a bit shady, it's understandable that they might want a few more reviews.

With that said, you could always private message them and see what happens.

Regardless of this all, I left a review and entered in the contest just to get it closer to 10.

Certainly 9 more DGCR folks can write reviews and Martin can just assume the name of the winner for one night.