• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A little help on choosing a new disc

tonsoffun49

So I've been playing for about 4 months now, about 3 times a week. I throw RHBH and I am horrible with sidearm throws. I started out using a Vulcan and Nuke which you guys said was bad for a beginner a couple months ago. Since then the fastest disc I have used is a Leopard and my scores have improved by about 10-15 shots a round. I love it, other then the fact that I'm starting to play a couple courses where I need more distance. I'd say I can drive this Leopard on average around 300, maybe about 350 if its perfect. I feel I am to the point where I can buy a faster disc and it wont hurt my game.

I tried to use my 164/165 Vulcan, but it is far too windy in middle TN. This thing drifts right and just doesn't come back enough. I have a beat up Champ Wraith but I just don't like throwing it.

My question is, what would be a good long distance driver for me to add to my bag? Thanks for any help

I currently have:
164 Star Vulcan
165 Star Vulcan
172 Champ Wraith
175 Champ Leopard
172 Champ Teebird
175 Z Comet
176 FLX Buzzz
178 Pro D Buzzz
175 Pro D Drone
3- R Pro Aviars
175 R Pro Rhyno

You can't throw your Teebird any farther than your Leopard? I'd say you could probably try a valkyrie and get away with it. Maybe an Avenger SS.

I had an avenger SS and didnt like it either. Seemed a bit to sensitive on how I released it. Drifter right on me a lot and would never come back. To be honest, I dont throw my teebird that much. I'll give it a try, but I do still want to buy a new driver

Surge, Wraith, Nuke, Nuke SS, Katana, something like that. I love the River and the TeeBird though, fond of my XL as well.

Valkyrie, if you want distance and control at your level. And it's just a great all-around mold.

one option would be to stick with the leopard. i throw about the same distance as you and i'm hanging with the slow disc for a while until i get better. maybe in another year or so i'll move back to an orc or something for my main driver.

I meant to say I am getting a Valkyrie for Beast or Viking. I love the leopard, but about half the holes at this one course I play at are 500+. I dont want a 13 speed driver, just something a little faster that will give me that extra distance

Have you tried a TL? I find myself going to that disc a lot. Great distance as well as accuracy. The other option is to try a Pro Katana. It is a super fast driver and fly's very far, but it's not quite as consistent as the TL nor as versatile.

You have a Wraith. Learn to bomb it.

If you want to learn a wraith, go with a Pro wraith. Champs, esp. at your distance and the weight on that one, can be a tricky disc. I went from leopard to valk to wraiths, and it's a good progression. If/when you go to wraiths, give a 170gish one a shot in Pro or DX plastic. They're not quite as overstable, and feel a little seasoned out of the box. Champs can be hella overstable if that's your first distance driver.

Viking is going to work you a bit, but not a bad mold. You might find you don't net much more distance with it, and that it vies for teebird shots back and forth. Beast could also work, although I think you'd be better suited with a valk.

What's your predominant throwing style? It sounds like you could use a Champ Sidewinder or Valkyrie. Learn how to use these discs to your advantage in different wind conditions. You won't be disappointed!

Deff getting a valk now. I tried a sidewinder and didnt care for it. But I only threw it once. Ill just stick with a Valk for now and start using my teebird more

Champ Beast, Orc, Z Flash <172g, ESP Surge, Pro Wraith. Maybe even a Pro Destroyer in the 167-170g range.

If you're looking to be able to hyzer flip something, the beast or even the flash. If you want to throw something hard and flat, go Orc, Surge, Wraith or Destroyer.

Oh yeah, I haven't thrown one yet, but from the writeup about it, you may want to try an Archon. Described as a "longer Valkyrie". Katana turn and Wraith fade, so they say.

If you're rocking the Valk and Leopard you've got a great combo of discs there for distance, the Valkyrie will bomb.

If you need something to fight head/crosswinds you might want to look at an Eagle-X or even Firebird/Predator