• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A.Mutt's Gallery

A.Mutt

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Got a little bored and decided to compile the dyes I've done thus far.
The vast majority have been for myself, but a few have been for others.
Grouped by color, not timeline.
discgallery11.jpg

Not a seahawks fan, but that is a great dye. Like the use of the saran method for the background colors (i'm assuming that's what it was)

Claytoon said:
Not a seahawks fan, but that is a great dye. Like the use of the saran method for the background colors (i'm assuming that's what it was)

Thanks, me either :wink: but it was a commissioned disc for somebody.
Actually not the saran method, I used pam spray before the dip to get the separation of dye from the disc.

I really like the birds on the wire and the celestial disc. I just saw part of a history channel show about it.

I'd like to hear more about this Pam thing. When I was looking at the pics I thought to myself "this guy knows something different" when I was noticing the textures of the backgrounds. Anyways, I dig the Charlie Brown Thumber disc. He looks like he's begging for some tennis elbow, though.

dgdave said:
I really like the birds on the wire and the celestial disc. I just saw part of a history channel show about it.

Thanks man, Yeah the nebra star disc isn't very pretty but being a fascinated with history and someone giving an open challenge on DGCR to do it I had to give it a run. It also gave me a chance to experiment with painting dye on to make it look aged. Oh and actually both those discs are up for grabs if you want them ... just follow the link in my sig.

ChUcK said:
I'd like to hear more about this Pam thing. When I was looking at the pics I thought to myself "this guy knows something different" when I was noticing the textures of the backgrounds. Anyways, I dig the Charlie Brown Thumber disc. He looks like he's begging for some tennis elbow, though.

Basically I stumbled upon this technique when a wave of lets all learn the saran wrap method swept through DGCR. I wanted to do something different and knowing that oil will repel water I tried spraying Pam and its worked pretty well for an interesting texture from the get go. One thing I've learned is to flip it fast before dipping to ensure you get more of a bubbly texture or hold it on angles first to let it run if you want something more swirly. Also when you rinse after the dip use a little soap to make sure you get all the veggie oil off.
Otherwise, spray the Pam at will right before you're ready to dip and give it a go. Btw not much is needed, I try to anticipate how I want the spatter to look and minimize extra spraying

And much appreciated on what I call "cHuk brown", lol he is looking like he's going to wreck his arm. This one was a merging of two of my artistic influences, obviously charles shultz and the other being Banksy. I only wish I had done it on a disc I use more often.

BTW are you the same Chuck from the videos on youtube on how to dye?

A.Mutt said:

It depends. If you thought those vids sucked, then that wasn't me, it was some other bonehead poser. :wink:

Leopard said:
A.Mutt said:
"cHuk brown" ... a merging of two of my artistic influences, obviously charles shultz and the other being Banksy.
you done good with that artwork! nice dyes and props for experimenting with the Pam resist

Thank you :D

ChUcK said:
A.Mutt said:

It depends. If you thought those vids sucked, then that wasn't me, it was some other bonehead poser. :wink:

:) No, actually I watched and re-watched those videos before ever trying myself. Just wanted to say thank you sincerely for producing those, I found them very helpful and gave me the push to give dying a go.

Cool. That was the exact purpose of those vids. Obviously they don't make any groundbreaking progress as far as dye technique goes, but the point was to give all the potential dyers a stepping stone they can use to overcome their trepidation about dyeing.

Once I realized that I would never make any serious money dyeing, my position went from "Trade Secrets" to "Dye Knowledge For All". I find it more personally fulfilling to facilitate and encourage others in their dye journey, instead of trying to profit from it. I'm not saying it's impossible to make some dough dyeing, but it requires too much marketing work that I don't enjoy.

What I do enjoy is the designing/cutting/dyeing. Nothing matches the feeling you get when you're weeding the last bit of vinyl from the disc, and seeing the fresh dye for the first time. That's a unique time in the dye's life, because as we all know it's just downhill from there.

That's why I like taking my dye gear with me on DG trips, tourneys, etc. When the person who owns the disc gets to see that first viewing, they really start to understand and appreciate the process as well as I do. The look on someone's face as they see the results is usually priceless. The only awkward moment is when I have to repeatedly refuse renumeration.

Wow, I went through two cups of coffee on this rant. Sorry A.Mutt- get another dye posted here quick!

Nice dyes A.Mutt and welcome to a new addiction!!! Thanks for the pam idea, I may have to try that out soon.

ChUcK - I completely understand where you're coming from with the sharing of knowledge. I had toyed with the idea of trying to earn some decent scratch with dye jobs and briefly contemplated keeping the Pam thing a trade secret. But thats not the kind of guy I am, I believe in open source. Not to mention I figure somebody would figure it out eventually and I might as well start sharing what I know and help be part of an evolution of ideas. :D
I'm completely tapped out of vinyl right now, but hopefully I'll be getting more soon and cranking out dyes.

pointdisc said:
Nice dyes A.Mutt and welcome to a new addiction!!! Thanks for the pam idea, I may have to try that out soon.

thanks, and you're welcome have at it and enjoy :)