• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Nice Day in My Disc Golf Journey

bnbanbury

Eagle Member
I had a nice moment in my disc golf journey yesterday and wanted to share it with my disc golf friends…

I first played US Am Nationals in 2014. I shot +7 my first round and remember sitting in the hotel room and reflecting on the fact that there were maybe 5 holes on the entire course that year on which I could physically reach the putting circle for birdie. The course was just too long and I didn't have the physical tools to play it. I finished 133rd out of 141 finishing players.

So I came home and scrapped my throwing motion and started over. I did field work and recorded myself throwing. I went on the technique forums and tried to change the things I was doing wrong, one thing at time.

I was fortunate enough to make the trip back to Michigan this year and after two rounds that left me at even par, I shot a 7 under 55 for the second best round of the tournament. It's the best round of golf I've ever played. I birdied the 901 foot, par 4 third that I never imagined would be reachable for me in 2014.

So I guess how I'm feeling this morning is that it's never too late to take a part of your game with which you struggle and improve it. I will likely never be a national champion and a 12th place finish might not mean much to some folks, but I can attest to how much progress it means for me personally.

Good for you. That's some serious improvement. I know a couple of guys around here that have improved a ton just in the last year or so. Some guys just got it!

Nice! Slightly off topic... Do you wear headphones when you play?

Thanks for sharing the story, and congrats! Did any of my old discs help you along the way? :D

Great job, bnbanbury. I was out spotting on hole 12 on Saturday. Many players getting beat up by toboggan, many more loved the course. Seemed like everyone was having a good time. Congrats on the 12th place finish. Being 12th in your nation's championship is something to be very proud of.

Great job, bnbanbury. I was out spotting on hole 12 on Saturday. Many players getting beat up by toboggan, many more loved the course. Seemed like everyone was having a good time. Congrats on the 12th place finish. Being 12th in your nation's championship is something to be very proud of.

Thank you for being out there spotting! I had a great time - John, Mark, and all the associated staff really take care of the players who come out to play. The two times I have made it out the event has been well run and the volunteer efforts are a big contributing factor.

Latest posts