• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Check

Hello all, just looking for input on what to work on next.

Averaging 320-350 with drivers, 280-300 with my crave and hex.

I've put a lot of work in the past few months on nose angle but about 20% of the time I'll throw a 200 foot laser into the ground. Any tips for increasing launch angle while maintaining nose angle once you've gotten to this point?

The off arm action in this video is not a normal move for me, I'm generally pretty good about keeping it down by my side.

The much maligned Method from Brian Weissman has allowed me to feel how lower body movement brings you into the pocket so I'm continuing to work on starting slow and exploding when I get there.

I typed this on my phone at work so my apologies for grammar/wording

Thank you for the feedback. I'm feeling better on the stride after drilling on air and some short field work sessions. I ended up adding a step with my left foot that leads into the xstep and it seemed to straighten my first stride out which in turn keeps the plant a bit more compact. I've also changed the timing of my reachback to be later and I think I'm getting closer to achieving maximum reachback at the plant.

For the first time in 7 years, I'm developing a callous on my pointer finger which tells me the disc is indeed ripping out of my hand. I truly think I was subconsciously releasing the disc all these years. I've done a lot of filming to diagnose and confirm form changes but nothing that I felt was a progression from what I posted earlier. Other parts of my form were lacking as I focused on improving or adding certain elements. I'm feeling confident in the muscle memory I've developed over the past few weeks, I'll update with video later this week.

Went out to Tyler today with only one swing thought: to reach back later. Stride is still too staggered here, it's disappointing considering this was a PUMP for me but the old lady said my plant depth looked much better on Friday. I can feel the difference in power and accuracy. I need to continue working on eliminating the outward nature of that first right step and I think the stagger issue will be eliminated itself.

I don't normally do form breakdowns in here. but lets go over some telltale signs you're muscling and trying to do a spin and throw level of throw vs a braced throw.
To start it off simply, you're not throwing from a brace, it just looks like you are.

Your brace is collapsing in this frame here as you start to hug yourself.

1720094022150.png

So it looks like you braced here, its really hard to tell much more because you posted a slow motion video. 60fps real time is better btw. It's best to be able to see the speed at which your moving. With youtube i can go frame by frame really easy to watch the details especially at 60fps.

So your brace kinda falls here and what you're doing is throwing your shoulders. How can I tell? Because your arm starts to collapse here.

/insert hugging yourself sidewinder video.

I'll address all the big issues here though with this image as its pretty overall telling whats going on.

1720094260227.png

Whoa, you're saying, thats a lot of lines.

The 90 degree rule isn't a hard rule, but if you're collapsed and not close, you're never going to generate power.

So, here you are shrugging your scapula and trying to yank the disc around hugging yourself.

Gotta get that elbow forward and get the wrist loaded. Your wrist in this photo is broke open, so your dragging the disc behind your hand.

Disc between chest and hand.

Where you decide to pocket the disc isn't something i'm going to say where, but getting your shoulders relaxed and that elbow forward is where you should probably start.

Let me explain.

What most likely happened is you tried good info on getting your lower body working, but there wasn't good enough instruction to get your upper body to move along with it. WHich is the jist of what I'm seeing from the method. Not really overly sure what the guy is talking about half the time anyways, so props to you or you decoder ring for figuring it out.

So what happens is we throw and were like "okay i guess i gotta add some sauce" and we end up ruining all our lower body form as we try and yeet the disc further and our upper body collapses.

So, focus on getting the shoulders relaxed and dont yank the disc, just try and get the disc up into the pocket and swing relaxed and easy.

This is where stuff like the windmill and some other drills that sidewinder has come in really handy.

I usually teach my version of the beto drill for this.

Sidewinder will have to link video's he thinks appropriate. His catalog is to complex for me with his weird video titles. I'm just dumb sheep shearer. Can't internets at all.

Thank you for the feedback Sheep. I'll remember to film regularly from now on, I was just trying to get higher FPS because seeking on the phone is brutal.

The shoulder collapse is also something I've clocked and have been attempting to work on.

What I've been working in regards to that is driving my elbow out when I start the throw. I saw a DGSpinDoc video about collapsing your shoulder and he says to drive the elbow out. Is that what I'm looking for?

I've been doing some field work sessions after work focusing on driving my elbow out when the throw starts so we'll see where that gets me. I need to hammer down on moving slower into the pocket and then exploding instead of powering through the whole throw. I have plenty of footage of me whipping a towel or on air with my elbow getting forward, and my shoulder angle at 90 degrees or greater.

I think I'm not alone in the sense that I lose some of the muscle memory and drilling I've worked on the second I step onto a real teepad.

Latest posts